Home General Discussion

temp or RH

dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anybody have any thoughts on what would make a cigar swell up and virtually explode. My storage is a wineador at 60 degrees and 70% rh, the ambient conditions in arizona at the time was 82 degrees and 25% rh. I am thinking I need to let the cigar rest at ambient temp for a while but what are your thoughts?
A little dirt never hurt

Comments

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
     the ambient conditions in arizona at the time was 82 degrees and 25% rh. I am thinking I need to let the cigar rest at ambient temp for a while but what are your thoughts?
    yep; let the cigar sit out for a while before you smoke it....that *should* solve the problem. 

try to do a search for "dry boxing", that should reveal some threads and more info on the subject.   

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv said:
    dirtdude said:
     the ambient conditions in arizona at the time was 82 degrees and 25% rh. I am thinking I need to let the cigar rest at ambient temp for a while but what are your thoughts?
    yep; let the cigar sit out for a while before you smoke it....that *should* solve the problem. 

try to do a search for "dry boxing", that should reveal some threads and more info on the subject.   

will do, thanks
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep my temp in my winedors around 65-67 degrees. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could also be user error and have nothing to do with the cigar itself.  Smoking to fast can cause a cigar to blow up too.  Was the cigar heating up as you smoked it?
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    Usaf06 said:
    I keep my temp in my winedors around 65-67 degrees. 
    I wish the temp was adjustable on mine but it holds a steady 60, I might be wrong but I figured a steady temp would be better than the 50-85 swings we get now.
    A little dirt never hurt

It could also be user error and have nothing to do with the cigar itself.  Smoking to fast can cause a cigar to blow up too.  Was the cigar heating up as you smoked it?
    that could very well be the case, it was a friend that was visiting who doesn't normally smoke cigars, I dont remember what I was smoking that night but it kind of blew a a bit also. I have been letting them adjust to temp since with no problem
    A little dirt never hurt
  • LucaLuca Posts: 2

Well I have a Whynter CHC-215S Wine a Dor Question I have 6 Boveda pack 72% and I placed them on all of the draws and a cigar oasis plus 3.0 where do I place that on top draw or leave it on the bottom

• BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

A colder humidor is just fine. And when it comes to humidity, go ahead and keep pushing past 70 and you'll eventually find out the hard way that it's too much.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."