Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Computer gurus, I need help

Comments

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    correct, and correct. It has been a couple years (decade) since I've worked with IDE though, so I apologize if I'm a little rusty.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, so to be sure I'm clear on this - I should pull the jumper making the drive the master. Right?

And I'm not going to lose anything from my internal drives by doing this. Right?

And when I'm done and power down and unplug the external drive I'll be all back to normal. Right?

• Options
    Oh, one other question. When the external is set up as master, is it then considered to be my C drive? Or which drive would it be?
  • Options
    A) Yes, set as master.
    B) No, there is not risk.
    C) It will not be C: as that is reserved for the internal master. It should come after all internal drives. My external is my F: Drive.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Yoo Hoo, Wayne....  Ol' troublesome is back again.

I pulled the jumper thereby making the external drive a master but nothing changed. The drive still doesn't show up on my PC and it doesn't matter whether the USB cable is plugged into a port on the PC when I power up or if I plug it in afterward. The red indicator light comes on but nothing else. 

On the adapter there is a blue button labeled OTB. There is the power indicator. Next is an indicator labeled IDE/ATC and one labeled SATA. You can see the adapter in the photo. 

The blue OTB button will click if I press it. I haven't done so while its powered up because I don't know what it does. 

Any ideas?? 
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    OTB means one touch backup. 
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not Off Track Betting?
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Does anyone know whether the power that runs the drive comes through the USB cable?  I mean, the 'power' indicator lights up - does that necessarily mean that the drive is getting the power it needs to operate?

I woulda been nice if some instructions had come with this unit. Or a power cord, if one is required. I feel like I just paid good money for a rock. (Maybe a Navajo S e x Stone?)
  • Options
    I checked the Newegg listing from earlier in the thread and found this in the listing:

"This listing just for USB to SATA/IDE adapter
    This adapter just works with 2.5" External hard disk and 500GB, if you want to us more than 2.5" and 500GB, you need purchase the power adapter,just click below link:
    For full package includes accessories/ software CD click here"

Your WD400 is a 3.5" hard drive so it looks like you'll need to get a power adapter to make this work.  Sadly, I couldn't find a link where it says to click here for the full package above, but it appears to be this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6U63755140 which includes the power supply.

Maybe they'd let you return the one you got for one with the power supply if you pay the difference?
  • Options
    Sorry if I steered you wrong.  :s

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marty, there isn't a power adapter cable with the kit?
    It should plug into the port on the back of the hard drive.
    Or does that adapter plug into both ports on the back of the hard drive.
    If nothing is plugged into the power port on the hard drive, the hard drive will not turn on/spin up and nothing will read.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    0patience said:
    Marty, there isn't a power adapter cable with the kit?
    It should plug into the port on the back of the hard drive.
    Or does that adapter plug into both ports on the back of the hard drive.
    If nothing is plugged into the power port on the hard drive, the hard drive will not turn on/spin up and nothing will read.
    Are you speaking of a 4-pin port on the back of the drive?  There's one there but no indication of its intended use. The adapter plugs into the 40-pin port for a 3.5" drive or the smaller port for a 2.5" laptop drive (I assume). 
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Yes, the 4 pin port is the power supply.
    An IDE hard drive requires a power supply.
    That kit might power up a SATA HD, but won't power up an IDE.

Unfortunately, you need an IDE power adapter to make it work.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Open the side and see if you have a spare 4 pin on your ps

• Options
    Wylaff said:
    Good thinker. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Wylaff said:
    Hee hee, too late. I already ordered another kit that includes a power cord and brick. They're cheap as dirt.....  I ordered one that has a bunch more stuff in it but cost around half of what the first one cost. I got the second one on eBay. Almost always a better place to buy...

We gonna whup this thing into submission, guys...  (So sayeth the oldfart.... )  :p
  • Options
    Okay, Wayne, I'm back again. The kit I ordered got here and I plugged the 4-pin plug into the hard drive along with the adapter plug that I had. Next I plugged the power cord into the 'brick' that's attached to the 4-pin plug and cord. 

I plugged the USB cable from the adapter into a port that's hooked to my PC. Then I plugged the power cord from the brick into a 110v outlet. Now that everything's hooked up, I fired up my PC. 

Still a big NOTHING!  The extra drive doesn't show up on my PC, I don't hear/feel anything moving in the hard drive. What am I doing wrong?

The 'brick' is just a transformer that delivers 12vdc on pin #1 and 5vdc on pin #4. The 4-pin plug is the only thing that'll fit the power Inlet on the drive so I'm thinking that part must be right. Am I missing something?
  • Options
    Hi, guys. I'm still looking for answers to my hard drive problem. Wayne's probably tied up with something else right now and that's okay - I understand. Life has a way of making its demands on ya sometimes. 

Anyway, if any of the rest of you can offer any clues as to what's happening with this hd, please feel free to jump in and shout it out. I'd really like to get this thing resolved and hopefully recover some missing data. 

Please read the previous post where I explain the latest happenings in this continuing saga. 

Thanks in advance.... 
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jlmarta ;

1) have you tried using a different USB port on your PC? 

2) does the drive appear in your BIOS menu (to access BIOS, restart the PC and hold F2 during the boot process)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    I tried another USB port with no difference. 

As for the BIOS, for some reason when the screen/menu appears I have no cursor. My mouse works fine any other time but I have no way to click on anything when I'm in this mode. 
  • Options
    Not sure I can be of much help, but you may need to use just the keyboard and arrow keys in BIOS mode.
  • Options
    Yakster said:
    Not sure I can be of much help, but you may need to use just the keyboard and arrow keys in BIOS mode.
    Tried that already. It didn't work, either....   :#
  • Options
    Hee hee, maybe I should just go back to a pointy piece of charcoal and writing on the back of a shovel....  :p
  • Options
    jlmarta said:
    I tried another USB port with no difference. 

As for the BIOS, for some reason when the screen/menu appears I have no cursor. My mouse works fine any other time but I have no way to click on anything when I'm in this mode. 
    @jlmarta ---are you using a wired keyboard / mouse?  or wireless one(s)?

• Options
    It's a wireless mouse. Ya s'pose that's the problem with the cursor?
  • Options
    jlmarta said:
    It's a wireless mouse. Ya s'pose that's the problem with the cursor?
    @jlmarta ; yes that's probably the issue. the wireless mouse likely requires a driver to operate, which will not be loaded for the BIOS menu. 

also, how old is the computer?
    what operating system are you using?
    and is it a USB keyboard or the older style, PS/2 keyboard (round, purple colored plug)

a few more ideas.....

1) since you were able to load the BIOS menu, you should be able to navigate the menu with the arrow keys.....but the arrow keys are not working, correct? 
    load the BIOS menu again, and instead of the arrow keys, try pressing "tab" or "shift + tab" and see if that does anything.  if not, then press through the "function" keys one at a time. and lastly, try the "enter" key. 

if none of that works......
    2) then unplug the adapter for your wireless mouse.
    restart.
    and boot into BIOS without the mouse adapter plugged into your computer and try the arrow keys on your keyboard again.

if that doesn't work.....
    3) leave the mouse adapter unplugged. 
    plug the keyboard into a different port (preferably on the back of your computer if possible).
    restart.
    boot into BIOS and try using the arrow keys.

and last but not least, if none of this works.....
    4) try using a different keyboard if you have one. 

• Options
    Wow, @jgibv, thanks a heap for that. I'll definitely try those things but it'll most likely be this afternoon before I can get to it. 
  • Options
    Okay, @jgibv, I managed some time a little earlier than I anticipated. 

The answers to your questions are:

The computer is only a couple years out of a refurb. 
    It runs on Win7 Professional
    It's a USB keyboard

I've tried all of your suggestions with the exception of trying a different keyboard - I don't have one. 

I unplugged the adapter for the wireless mouse and plugged a working USB mouse in. This mouse functioned normally when not in BIOS mode but, again, there's no cursor in BIOS and the arrow keys nor any if the other keys produce any movement on the BIOS screen. 

Is there a way to enter the BIOS mode other than using the f2 key on startup?  Like maybe entering a command at the DOS prompt (or is that the C: prompt)?  I'm thinking that, since the mouse works normally when not in BIOS, maybe it would work if we arrived at BIOS via a different route. Is that even feasible?
  • Options
    jlmarta said:
    Okay, @jgibv, I managed some time a little earlier than I anticipated. 

The answers to your questions are:

The computer is only a couple years out of a refurb. 
    It runs on Win7 Professional
    It's a USB keyboard

I've tried all of your suggestions with the exception of trying a different keyboard - I don't have one. 

I unplugged the adapter for the wireless mouse and plugged a working USB mouse in. This mouse functioned normally when not in BIOS mode but, again, there's no cursor in BIOS and the arrow keys nor any if the other keys produce any movement on the BIOS screen. 

Is there a way to enter the BIOS mode other than using the f2 key on startup?  Like maybe entering a command at the DOS prompt (or is that the C: prompt)?  I'm thinking that, since the mouse works normally when not in BIOS, maybe it would work if we arrived at BIOS via a different route. Is that even feasible?
    @jlmarta ; just to make sure I'm understanding correctly....
    You were able to load the BIOS menu? 
    But could not navigate the menu with the keyboard nor mouse? 
    Correct?

• Options
    That's correct.