Home Non Cigar Related
Options

What do you collect?

2»

Comments

• Options
    WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @BigDaddy wow that would be amazing! I'll let you know when I get the card :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    BigDaddy said:
    Waternerd...
    i can get Nolan Ryan to sign stuff. I have a great connection. 
    Oh you do, do you?
    There is only one thing that takes up as much space in my house as cigars and that is baseball.
    And yes, that is a Ryan/Koosman rookie card.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    BigDaddyBigDaddy Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

WaterNerd said:
    Been collecting baseball cards since I was a kid. Last few years I've been working on completing my Mint Condition 1970 Topps Baseball Set. Its been a fun challenge since you can find most of the common cards on ebay but have to really look for the mint cards :) Still hunting for that Nolan Ryan card but not willing to pay $200 for 1 card.

I can get you connected to them. 
    Danny B
  • Options
    WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Oh dang... that is nice @0patience

001.gif 405.2K
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options

Well if you mean what do you dump a lot of money into it would be fishing stuff and cigars...other then that I'm just boring. Oh I guess tools as well!
    Lee. I'm a fellow fisherman. Mostly saltwater bay fishing and some freshwater bass fishing. I'm leaving in the morning to do just that for a week. So excited. 
    Danny B
  • Options

So your to good for some of my cigars you say?! Addy up!!
    lol very very cute Lee, man have to say I truly have missed the hell outta ya brother and many others here! It really is great to be back among some really terrific people, life has taken some pretty harsh and unexpected turns lately that I haven't and don't need to get into, but honestly it is good to see and talk to some good friends and catch up with people that I have missed and care about ;)

Brett
    Brett-
    Life was never meant to travel alone. Good people is what makes our country so great (what's left of it).  
    Welcome back. 
    Danny B
  • Options
    0patience said:
    BigDaddy said:
    Waternerd...
    Oh you do, do you?
    There is only one thing that takes up as much space in my house as cigars and that is baseball.

WOW!!  He was a great player and a great man to the Alvin/Houston community. 
    Danny B
  • Options
    And yes I do. 
    Danny B
  • Options
    NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    BigDaddy said:
    Waternerd...
    Oh you do, do you?

I like cool baseball star rookie cards I'm peanut butter and jelly I would buy a rookie card to get Nolan Ryan's sign. I went to high school in Plano. Which is north Dallas. I loved watching Ryan as a Ranger kick ass. Even as a dodger fan. At least I got to enjoy baseball even if the pitcher didn't bat in Dallas. 
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Options
    My boys and I made it to Nolan Ryan's last game in Seattle. We had found out that his last schedules game was to be in Texas, but they had scheduled him to pitch in Seattle one more time. That afternoon, I came home and told the wife and boys, load up, we are going to Seattle for the game between the Mariners and Texas. When momma asked why, I said Nolan was pitching and while we might not make his last game in Texas, we would make the second to last in Seattle.

Little did we know it would be his carreer ending game.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is really neat story Tony, thanks for sharing and glad you got to see such an amazing thing and watch history wrapping up for one of the greats ;)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who, me?  What do I collect?  Well, uh, mostly, uh, ..... Hmmmm, well, mostly moss I suppose. On my north side, of course. That's the way it usually works with us oldfarts. 

See, we don't move a helluva lot and our north side pretty much stays, uh, to the north of us. Not a lot of rotational energy amongst us oldfarts....  :p

But, really now, would you have it any other way??
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    Who, me?  What do I collect?  Well, uh, mostly, uh, ..... Hmmmm, well, mostly moss I suppose. On my north side, of course. That's the way it usually works with us oldfarts. 

See, we don't move a helluva lot and our north side pretty much stays, uh, to the north of us. Not a lot of rotational energy amongst us oldfarts....  :p

I disagree Marty. I believe that a person your age collects knowledge and wisdom, dispersing said items when and where you deem it appropriate. I am proud to consider you my friend and hope you visit the high desert some day soon! 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    Guitarded said:
    jlmarta said:

I disagree Marty. I believe that a person your age collects knowledge and wisdom, dispersing said items when and where you deem it appropriate. I am proud to consider you my friend and hope you visit the high desert some day soon! 
    Second that.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guitarded said:
    jlmarta said:

Thank you, Mike @Guitarded and Tony @0patience, that's very nice of you to say. It's been said that people are their own harshest critic and I see myself as an opinionated oldfart. Having said that, I'll also say that I feel entitled to every damned one of my opinions by virtue of the places I've been and the things I've done. I don't think ya can live this long and not develop some street creds. 

Also, I don't very often apologize for an opinion but when I'm shown to be wrong it needs to be done. 

I was trying for a bit of humor with my "mossy" post but I seem to have gotten shunted off to a philosophical track instead. Let's go back to the humor.....  B)
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not collect items. Lately I amass debt. Mortgage, car payments, credit card, IRS.
     I have saved the boxes from every member here who sent me anything, contest winnings, bombs, trades, dry begging, etc. Due to the generosity of the members here, I owe most of you something. If my finances ever recover, there will be retribution. 
    @jlmarta never lose that sense of humor my friend!
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ This, I second entirely! Even if I spent years trying to repay all the kindness I have been shown I couldn't keep up. Its also worth remembering that many of these people do this not for repayment but to share something just because they want to and it is not expected, and in many cases not even wanted to be repaid. IF anything my suggestion is to pay it forward and show that kindness you were shown to someone else ;)

I know big talk and I have no place to say it, but hope it helps :)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I collect a fridge magnet and a Christmas tree ornament when we travel. 
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    I ALWAYS FORGET ABOUT THIS ONE!!!!! it sits in the corner of my work station and I go through phases of adding to it... I collect used (but undamaged) soda bottle caps! I have a small cup full so far. :)
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    I collect anything and everything that catches my eye. Funny thing is as I am typing this I am sitting here at our garage sale hoping to get ride of most of it. Moving in the next week so hope we sell a lot of stuff or goodwill is going to be one happy place. Sold over 40 crocks this weekend. 
  • Options
    Devildog1Devildog1 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Devildog1 said:
    Was collecting coins for a bit, but that got expensive. Will have to dig some stuff and post some pics.  Have some stuff from the mid 1800's, don't remember everything I have lol. 
    Here are couple pennies and a silver certificate star note, have a lot more but you can get the gist from these.  Have some old 3 cent nickels etc

• Options
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait, what? How much is your 1908 worth? Has it been appraised? 
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    The numbers by the coins represent how many were made, not the  monetary value.  
    Have not had it appraised, I actually have some better coins than that. 
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Devildog1 said:
    The numbers by the coins represent how many were made, not the  monetary value.  
    Have not had it appraised, I actually have some better coins than that. 
    Haha, I'm dumb.