Home General Discussion
Options

Where do these people come from?

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Today, I was told the tobacco was the devil's work. That using tobacco was evil and I was going to hell for using it. Wow!

I told them, That's ok. I've been to hell and back and they couldn't handle me, so they threw me out and Death has been at my door enough times that he just knocks once and gives up. So if heaven won't have me either, then I'm immortal and I can work with that.

I love when those people get that stunned look on their face.

But it got me thinking. Where do these dopeys get this from?
Are religions really teaching this drivvle?

In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only the ones in Westboro...
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is that they came from downtown salt lake city 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • Options
    eklektos44eklektos44 Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
    To the best of my recollection the Bible doesn't mention tobacco at all. Next time they make a statement like that make them provide proof. Because in reality they can't. And the scripture they twist out of context to support that asinine view is not even addressing tobacco.
    "Many a true word hath been spoken in jest"
                                                                  King Lear
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    You've been having a lot of stupid people to deal with lately. :(

• Options
    Bob_Luken said:

It may be that I'm just paying more attention lately or actually hearing what they say. Most times I ignore the knuckleheads.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:

That's why he's got 0 patience

=====================

I read at phys.org just yesterday that some scientific cat figured out how cannabis destroys the placque on nerves that causes Alzheimers. Doesn't just prevent senility --- destroys it. Maybe you just need to give up baccy and roll a doob. Mellows you out AND it's good for you.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience, don't worry about the naysayers. They reckon they speak for God -- I expect they'll be for a bit of a rude awakening in the next world. I expect God doesn't give a rats a.ss if you smoke tobacco. 

Smoke on, BOTL
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My experiences living with roommates in college taught me that for any stupid thing you can imagine, there is someone out there that believes it to be true or gospel.  
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do believe some religions and or religious leaders are teaching this. For the most part though I think it is the do gooders that that are judging. I like to think I am a God fearing Christian. I think we are all here to serve and glorify God. That being said I think smoking a good cigar is glorifying God. 

• Options
    I do believe some religions and or religious leaders are teaching this. For the most part though I think it is the do gooders that that are judging. I like to think I am a God fearing Christian. I think we are all here to serve and glorify God. That being said I think smoking a good cigar is glorifying God. 

Like Charles Spurgeon use to say that he smoked his cigars to the glory of God 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I asked a Wampanog clan mother who works with me and she said if you are prayerful when you smoke it is a good thing. Pretty much how she does everything,
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I always laughed when wives step into a smoke shop for the husband and say god it's smoky in here... Well wtf do you expect going to a smoke shop?! 
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    webmost said:
    Bob_Luken said:

That's why he's got 0 patience

=====================

I read at phys.org just yesterday that some scientific cat figured out how cannabis destroys the placque on nerves that causes Alzheimers. Doesn't just prevent senility --- destroys it. Maybe you just need to give up baccy and roll a doob. Mellows you out AND it's good for you.
    Just make sure you put your "fortified leaf" in a separate tupperdor from your cammy leaf!
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost said:

Do ya have to smoke it or can ya put it in brownies??
  • Options
    jlmarta said:
    webmost said:

Make some butter,and put it in anything. LOL 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    johnnyB said:
    jlmarta said:
    webmost said:

Make some butter,and put it in anything. LOL 
    Got a good recipe for the butter?
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The same "religious" people will tell you that Jesus never drank wine, despite all the Biblical references.  Then they'll tell you that "well, the wine Jesus drank didn't have alcohol in it". 

People LOVE bending God's opinions, and the truth, to match their own prejudices.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would tell them and their savior to mind their own damn business. Me and mine are doing just fine. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jesus and his disciples were accused multiple times of being drunkards. You just don't get called a drinker if your a teetotaler.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Wow @BigDaddy
    That was an impressive post and great info.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well said Danny
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,648 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Never told anyone from fear of persecution and black balled." 
    This is one of the many things that keep me out of church.
    Spirituality and religion are two very different subjects.
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    Guitarded said:
    "Never told anyone from fear of persecution and black balled." 
    This is one of the many things that keep me out of church.
    Spirituality and religion are two very different subjects.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,648 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Tony.
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    I should probably apologize if my post of the image came off as disrespectful to those who consider themselves religious.
    That was not my intention.

The point of it is that you can be spiritual without religion, but it is difficult to be religious without being spiritual.

If that makes any sense.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Spirituality and religion are two very different subjects."

Don't abandon both because one rubs you the wrong way
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good point, Randy.

I'm hesitant to post this because it can easily start fires and pit people into camps and sides...

But somebody has to define religion as well as spirituality.  I'd genuinely like to hear some answers to this.

Usually, when I hear people use the word religion as a bad thing it says they don't like what they've experienced, but that still doesn't mean that true religion is a bad thing; kinda like me saying Mozart sucked as a composer because my record is all scratchy.  There's the truth and the message, but then there's the vehicle and the messenger and often we reject the message because the messenger was a dickwad.

Sometimes people say "I'm spiritual but not religious" as a way of saying "I'm deciding what's truth and how I apply it in my life... I'm the one who gets to call the shots".  Most of the experiences I've had with spiritual people, nice as they may have been, has been nothing more than a thinly-veiled attempt to remain autonomous.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis