Home General Discussion
Options

calibrating a Xikar Hygrometer. This is news to me.

Comments

• Options
    SteveInTexasSteveInTexas Posts: 85 ✭✭✭
    I received my 2nd XIkar hygrometer in the mail yesterday.  I placed all three in my humidor last night (2 Xikars one round version and the rectangle Puromtep, and my Hygroset II) and the two Xikars read the same (61%) and the Hygroset II is at 65%.

This is back to the same readings that I was originally getting (4% variance) between the Xikars and the other.

So, the Xikars and Hygroset II all read 75% in a sealed Tupperware container with a 75% Boveda pack.  But, placed next to each other in a humidor with 69% Boveda and they get a 4% variance.

I think next that I will place them all in a sealed container with a 84% seasoning Boveda and see if they are the same.
  • Options
    NorthsideSmokeNorthsideSmoke Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    Steve, I recommend you return the Xikar, purchase a Caliber 4r and be done with it. I have two of the caliber 4r's the one I have been playing with in this thread and one that is in the humidor I am seasoning. Now that hygrometer has been in the humidor for about a week and a half and it still has a few days before I can open it. But here is a shot of it. The seal on that humidor is perfect. So I lose no humidity and as you can see the humidor loaded with 84% Bovedas is reading 85%. 

Also out of curiosity if you put a dollar bill on the edge of your humidor then close the cover how much resistance are you getting when you try to pull the dollar bill out? 

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going to have to agree with Frank here on this one, I don't see the pay off in this much headache for something that only works reliably in a very specific environment and not the environment that it will spend most of its life, i.e. the humidor. Too much brain damage for not enough pay off.

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    I may do that, but for now, this has my curiosity more than anything.
  • Options
    Ryan1990Ryan1990 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll caveat this by saying that I use a Xikar hygro and am satisfied with it. I also use heartfelt beads and boveda packs and there typically isn't much fluctuation in my humidor's rH. I am in no way a Xikar fanboy, and would not be shocked to learn that my hygro is a few % off. But...

It seems to me that the Xikar is more sensitive, and therefore more precise, than the 4r hygro. While that doesn't speak to it's accuracy, it looks like the Xikar proved that in HIGHLY controlled conditions, it read exactly what we would expect it to. It was only when it moved out into more "normal" conditions that it started to vary from that 75% number. This makes me think that the Xikar matches the 4r in accuracy, but is able to pick up on more "environmental" fluctuations. (Whether or not that is a good thing is probably personal preference.)

Am I missing something?
  • Options
    You may be right Ryan I have the ability to see the hygrometers inside my humidors because of the glass covers so I do not have to open them to see the readings.  But Steve should still do a seal test. I think he might have a faulty seal. 
  • Options
    Ryan1990 said:
    I'll caveat this by saying that I use a Xikar hygro and am satisfied with it. I also use heartfelt beads and boveda packs and there typically isn't much fluctuation in my humidor's rH. I am in no way a Xikar fanboy, and would not be shocked to learn that my hygro is a few % off. But...

It seems to me that the Xikar is more sensitive, and therefore more precise, than the 4r hygro. While that doesn't speak to it's accuracy, it looks like the Xikar proved that in HIGHLY controlled conditions, it read exactly what we would expect it to. It was only when it moved out into more "normal" conditions that it started to vary from that 75% number. This makes me think that the Xikar matches the 4r in accuracy, but is able to pick up on more "environmental" fluctuations. (Whether or not that is a good thing is probably personal preference.)

Am I missing something?
    Well thought out and explained statement there, I would tend to agree that it has more sensitivity but the same accuracy. For me that would be a drawback as I don't want mine being so sensitive that it starts to give me seemingly false or inaccurate readings that may mislead me or at least lead me to question what I am seeing. That nagging feeling in the back of my mind saying that I might not be able to trust the reading that I am seeing is something that would eat at me and erode my trust and faith in the device itself until I just got rid of it. Not saying that everyone should feel that way, just what would happen for me.

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    @90+_Irishman I figured that would be the case ;) 

I also think you're correct in saying that sensitivity doesn't necessarily mean precision. That's probably an oversimplification on my part.

• Options
    I will certainly check my seal, but that does not explain the 4% variance between the hygrometers.  It would only explain the difference in Boveda packs and a lower reading on the hygrometers.
  • Options
    Photos 
  • Options
    True, but I guess I am basing it more on the two Xikars reading the same thing. I would find it hard to believe they're both off by 8%. And the Xikar I have looks to be reading accurately in my glass top. I had never trusted it from the bag test so I never used it, but it seems to be just fine. 
  • Options
    Steve, here is pretty much the same photo I already posted, but this is after a day in the humidor and the cover not opened since last night's Vherf. (snapped it just a bit ago at lunch) The Xikar seems to be fine bud.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is solely my opinion.  In my experience if using boveda packs don't sweat the small difference in your hydrometer.  If your cigars are smoking fine then why have a heart attack about 4% chances are there will be no noticeable difference.  I currently only have one working hydrometer and I never look at it.  As stated before high ass temps are more of a concern.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
     As stated before high ass temps are more of a concern.
    Was watching a video on Youtube last night of a dude who was showing how he keeps his cigars in tupperware. His hygro said 67rH/85 degrees, and he goes, "You can see the humidity is perfect in here... The temperature seems high, but in my experience it really doesn't matter at all."

:(
  • Options
    Some of you seem to think that I am "sweating" this.  I am not.  Just curious.  I am happy with the way my cigars are smoking.  That has nothing to do with it.  Curiosity is all that it is.

I will say this too:

A rep from Xikar has been going back and forth with me some and has been trying to help all he can......and I am appreciative of him.  He has read/is reading this thread
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Very cool Steve, I think instead of using the 84% boveda in the tupperware you should put one of your 69%  from your humidor in there. that will tell you if it's possibly the boveda losing strength or if it's time to replace your humidor. I have a pretty strong suspicion of which way this is going to go. 
    Post edited by NorthsideSmoke on
  • Options
    Will do......
  • Options
    Sealed in a container with a 69% Boveda, the XIkar reads 69% and the Hygroset II reads 70%
  • Options
    Well, to me I suspect the seal on your humidor, but I could be wrong. If I remember correctly you have a spare humidor that has been sitting around with some 84% bovedas. Have you tried moving your hygrometers into that humidor and seeing what you get in there?
  • Options
    Thats next.....but I suspect that it still doesn't explain the variance in readings.  If the seal is bad, I would expect an overall drop in humidity that would read the same.
  • Options
     do not know much about the Hygroset but what is the guy from Xikar saying?
  • Options
    He thinks I need to now check the Hygroset to see if it will in fact dip down below 65%.  That makes sense.

• Options
    78% and 79% respectively (Hygroset II, Xikar) in an empty humidor with several Boveda 84% packs
  • Options
    Did you find out if the Hygroset dips below the 65% mark?

Brett
  • Options
    No.....I forgot to.  It should be a quick test.  I can just put it in the truck with me with the A/C on high.  
  • Options
    Thanks for the update Steve. It sure sounds like the original humidor is leaking humidity. Is the one you're testing in now large enough to hold your stock? 
  • Options
    Hygroset, left out in the house is registering 52%
  • Options
    It will be interesting to see what you do to fix the problem. Keep us posted :)
  • Options
    Not sure,  because now I am completely dumbfounded. LOL

The original Xikar and the Hygroset are back in my humidor and reading 67%.  The brand new Xikar is reading 61%.  LOL

I think I am giving up
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calibrating my hygrometers, early results are the Xikar is reading two points low while the Hygro-Set and the Western Caliber 4R are reading right on 75%.  This test needs more time to be meaningful.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )