Home Non Cigar Related

iPhone 7

Ryan1990Ryan1990 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
Anyone getting the new iPhone on Friday?

Comments

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not Friday but early next year I probably will. Helpful to have the newest release for TS'ing at work. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Ryan1990Ryan1990 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
    @CharlieHeis Completely agree. If I didn't have to upgrade to a new phone, I wouldn't, but mine is a 4S from 2012 that's taken a few licks. Battery lasts for about 80 minutes of use and I'm on it all day for work, so it's time. 

Unfortunately, buying this phone does put quite a damper on the cigar budget.

• Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup! After two very long phone calls with Apple Support. Bought my 6s last October with the iPhone Upgrade Plan. I went to pre-order the 7 and when I put in the serial number, it came back saying my phone wasn't enrolled in the program. So I pull up the original receipt from my email and it says on there about 3-4 times "iPhone Upgrade Plan". So I call, they ask if I paid off the phone. So I check thinking maybe they charged my card for the entire amount left at some point and I somehow missed it. Nope. They ask if my phone was replacement from Apple Care. Nope, serial number on the phone in my hand matches original receipt. So they drop off the call and tell me they're going to their back office people to do some research. Ok, cool, thanks. Guy calls back, leaves a message (with no way to get in touch with him again) and tells me it was purchased under an installment plan. Um, NO it wasn't. So I go to check my Apple Care plan (which they make you purchase to do upgrade plan) and when I put my information in there, it says that the phone has been replaced with another phone. Um, NO! So I call Apple Care to find out what is going on there. That woman takes all my info and sends me on to her senior manager. I talk to him about what was going on, he pulls up my original receipt and sees everything matches. Sends me off to one more person who puts in a request to the systems group to put my phone back in the upgrade and apple care plans. Whew!!! I was pretty pissed after the first guy gives me some BS about the phone being in the installment plan, but the next group of people definitely made up for it!! Then the only issue was that by the time this all took to get resolved, when I went to pre-order, I couldn't get it shipped to me by Friday, so now I have to drive to another area to pick it up (meanwhile, my mom's and sister's are being shipped to my house and require signature so my sister has to come sit here while I go there :) ). 

Sorry for the long post, but it felt good to get it off my chest :) 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
    Ryan1990 said:
    @CharlieHeis Completely agree. If I didn't have to upgrade to a new phone, I wouldn't, but mine is a 4S from 2012 that's taken a few licks. Battery lasts for about 80 minutes of use and I'm on it all day for work, so it's time. 

Hey ryan if you are upgrading through your carrier I can't do much but going forward I can help on pricing through the Apple online store. Let me know next time ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kelly if you ever have an issue again get in touch with me, what you dealt with is what I do professionally and I would have bent over backwards to help. Sorry you had such a chit experience but let me know next time so I can help! I'm a Senior Advisor with appleCare and have been doing that for 4 years now. Glad it got resolved!

Brett

PS. If anyone is buying anything apple outright from the apple online store hit me up first and I will try to get y'all a deal as friends and family ;)
    I started to reach out to you, but wasn't sure if you could do anything and I didn't want to take advantage of our friendship :) I kept waiting for them to say they were passing me off to Brett! 

Um, I'm not even gonna tell my husband about your trying to get us a discount, he'll curl up in a ball and cry :) I get a lot of gadgets....a lot. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
    Oh awesome! Good to know, Brett. Thanks! I try and go through Apple, if I can. Though Equifax made sure it was as difficult as possible. The address they have on file for me hasn't been my address in 18 months, so they declined my "application for a loan" to get on the installment plan. It was such a cluster**** that I ended up buying it at retail.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryan1990 said:

I was thinking I'll just go until the battery is shot. After nearly two years I can still get through the day with medium+ usage. Way better than the androids I've had, but at least I could change the battery myself in those.
    Agreed Charlie I've always felt that was a weak point as a user changed battery is so much nicer!
    Edna20 said:
    Kelly if you ever have an issue again get in touch with me, what you dealt with is what I do professionally and I would have bent over backwards to help. Sorry you had such a chit experience but let me know next time so I can help! I'm a Senior Advisor with appleCare and have been doing that for 4 years now. Glad it got resolved!

Brett

PS. If anyone is buying anything apple outright from the apple online store hit me up first and I will try to get y'all a deal as friends and family ;)
    I started to reach out to you, but wasn't sure if you could do anything and I didn't want to take advantage of our friendship :) I kept waiting for them to say they were passing me off to Brett! 

Um, I'm not even gonna tell my husband about your trying to get us a discount, he'll curl up in a ball and cry :) I get a lot of gadgets....a lot. 
    Not taking advantage at all happy to help and just let me know if you are going to order anything else I might be able to help with a discount, will have to see :)
    Ryan1990 said:
    Oh awesome! Good to know, Brett. Thanks! I try and go through Apple, if I can. Though Equifax made sure it was as difficult as possible. The address they have on file for me hasn't been my address in 18 months, so they declined my "application for a loan" to get on the installment plan. It was such a cluster**** that I ended up buying it at retail.
    Gotcha well just let me know if I can help going forward :)
    Agreed Charlie I've always felt that was a weak point as a user changed battery is so much nicer!
    I ended up changing to iPhone because Samsung quit making an interchangeable battery in the Galaxy.
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going to upgrade and then I remembered I dont care for Apple products so I will stick with my Nexus 6p!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

If I used my headphones that would really piss me off. 
    What most everyone is forgetting is that there is an adapter that comes with every iPhone 7, so everyone can still use their headphones. Funny how every media outlet and outraged customer forgets to mention that....
    yeahhhh......

i got a 5s and like it for the most part (the battery life sucks a big fat donkey d!ck but oh well).

but i'll tell you there's absolutely no way i'd get an iphone 7.  heck i wouldn't use the thing if it was given to me for free.....

seriously, no 3.5 mm audio jack??? 
    wtf is that about. that's not a "feature" or something to be proud of.  that's a lacking feature that LITERALLY every single other product on the market has. 

ain't a snowballs chance in hell that i'm going to buy something that doesn't have a 3.5 mm jack built in. 
    and don't tell me i can "just get an adapter" .... you know god damn well that adapter will probably be close to $50, and you could probably order a chinese knockoff from amazon, but why am i gonna go through the hassle when EVERY OTHER PHONE ALREADY HAS A 3.5 MM JACK BUILT IN!!!
    seriously though, f**k you apple trying to nickle and dime me with all these adapters and ****. 

ever since apple discontinued the original style ipod, it's all been downhill from there. 
    i'm done with their overpriced & overdesigned products. 

next phone will be either a droid (or ubuntu if it comes to the US)

ask me how i really feel about the iphone 7.

What most everyone is forgetting is that there is an adapter that comes with every iPhone 7, so everyone can still use their headphones. Funny how every media outlet and outraged customer forgets to mention that....
    that's fine irishman.
    still doesn't make it any less dumb IMO. 

sorry, i know you work for apple and all.  but i'm done with 'em man. 

jgibv said:
    that's fine irishman.
    still doesn't make it any less dumb IMO. 

sorry, i know you work for apple and all.  but i'm done with 'em man. 
    All good man, I am not that pleased about it myself so no worries and its fine if people are not fans of Apple. I work for them and like them but everyone is welcome to have their own thoughts and opinions I would never try to change those ;)

brett
    jgibv said:
    yeahhhh......

i got a 5s and like it for the most part (the battery life sucks a big fat donkey d!ck but oh well).

but i'll tell you there's absolutely no way i'd get an iphone 7.  heck i wouldn't use the thing if it was given to me for free.....

seriously, no 3.5 mm audio jack??? 
    wtf is that about. that's not a "feature" or something to be proud of.  that's a lacking feature that LITERALLY every single other product on the market has. 

ain't a snowballs chance in hell that i'm going to buy something that doesn't have a 3.5 mm jack built in. 
    and don't tell me i can "just get an adapter" .... you know god damn well that adapter will probably be close to $50, and you could probably order a chinese knockoff from amazon, but why am i gonna go through the hassle when EVERY OTHER PHONE ALREADY HAS A 3.5 MM JACK BUILT IN!!!
    seriously though, f**k you apple trying to nickle and dime me with all these adapters and ****. 

ever since apple discontinued the original style ipod, it's all been downhill from there. 
    i'm done with their overpriced & overdesigned products. 

next phone will be either a droid (or ubuntu if it comes to the US)

ask me how i really feel about the iphone 7.
    Not really sure why so many people are up in arms over the 3.5mm jack removal. As someone who has his headphones in almost all day, I'm not the slightest bit concerned. Like Brett said, they have adapters for normal headphones, and they come with their own. 

Sure seems like Apple is rightly predicting that everything will be cordless soon, anyway. Wouldn't surprise me to see a lot of phones moving this direction in the next couple of years.

IMO the biggest issue with the headphones is that you won't be able to use them with your CPU.
    apple sure does have a great business plan .... 

"break an important device function, and sell the solution for fun and profit"

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weather their predicting everything going wireless or not, they are effectively blocking you from using any technology older than 2017 without using their proprietary adapter. It would be as stupid as removing ethernet jacks because everyone uses wireless. Wait.... 
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    I guess I'm not really sure how they are profiting from "bad design". They're giving the adapter away with the phone. They're not forcing you to buy it separately.

Agree to disagree, I suppose.
    How many chargers have people lost? You really think a tiny adapter isn't going to disappear in a week for most people?
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Wylaff said:
    How many chargers have people lost? You really think a tiny adapter isn't going to disappear in a week for most people?
    agreed. 

not to mention, the charger that will allow you to SIMULTANEOUSLY charge the phone & connect a 3.5mm audio jack is NOT INCLUDED, BUT SOLD SEPARATELY for $40

Wylaff said:
    Yeah, that is certainly a possibility. But is that Apple's fault? As you said if people are losing chargers, anyway, I'm not sure there is hope.

I've had lots of friends outright lose their phones, either out drinking, leaving them in a cab, etc.
    Interesting way to view this debate: Would you feel the same way about the removal of the 3.5mm jack if Samsung also did it?
    Yes. I think all accessories should have some form of industry standard, and that if it's approved they should be backwards comparable. It's one thing to have a new phone with new hardware, it's a whole other thing to say you can no longer use anything we didn't make.