Home General Discussion

Heartbreaker

13»

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Trident, I'd be interested in donating to benefit Barry's family via PayPal if possible.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    RIP Barry.  I can't believe this.  Someone please PM me if there is anything I can do for his family.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This link may work if you're on a PC but it doesn't on my smartphone.... 
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting this, Roman. 

Nov 20, 2016 | Vote0   0

Generous, quirky, frugal and fun, Barry Bauman left an indelible mark on everyone he met

Barry Bauman of Elmira; Born: April 16, 1969, in Elmira; Died: Sept. 15, 2016, of unknown causes

Barry Bauman

Barry Bauman

Waterloo Region Record

In a tribute, Michael Bauman recalled how his brother, Barry Bauman, gave every inch of himself in everything he did, from teaching high school to home renovations to hockey.

"The biggest skill he brought to his hockey and all of his activities and adventures were his heart and desire," said Michael. "His zest and passion for life was amazing."

Michael spoke of his brother's quirky side, how Barry managed to stand out among his peers from the time he was a kid.

"Barry was one of the cooler kids and so he rocked a mullet and wore it proudly," said Michael.

Despite this lofty status, Barry never let his popularity go to his head. Michael talked about his brother's naturally generous nature, how he volunteered with a group of friends, feeding the homeless every second Tuesday in downtown Kitchener. He also helped families with kids who wanted to play hockey but couldn't afford the equipment.

Adding a comment rather tongue-in-cheek Michael said "taking nothing away from that generous spirit, Barry was always trying to make a deal; he was not willing to part with a dime if he could get a similar product for a nickel."

His mother, Joanne Bauman, agreed, noting her son was not cheap, but he was frugal, tending to hoard bits of this and that because you never know when you'll need that old box of nails or a broken down chair. That desire to recycle and reuse — partly inherited from his Mennonite upbringing — was forged from his concern for the environment.

"He was always careful about not throwing things out," she said.

Barry graduated from the University of Waterloo in 1992 in environmental science and completed his teaching certificate at the University of Toronto in 1996. One of his first jobs after university was conducting home visits under the Guelph 2000 program, a government initiative that provided homeowners with assessments to make their homes more efficient and greener.

Barry practiced what he preached at home and, sometimes, it earned him some cash.

One of Barry's hobbies was buying old junk at auctions and second-hand stores, restoring the item and reselling it. Barry, it seems, could find a use for just about anything.

Barry grew up in Elmira, raised in a house his parents owned since they were married. Joanne was a teacher, his dad, Aden, a much admired watch repairman and jeweler. As a boy, Aden attended a school for disabled children and after marriage, his limited mobility worsened until he graduated from crutches to a wheelchair. None of that stopped Aden from living a full life, an attitude he seems to have passed down to Barry.

Joanne said Barry "learned to respect people with disabilities." That respect sometimes got him into trouble, such as when he would challenge drivers for parking in a disabled spot without having a visible handicapped sticker only to learn the person had a heart condition.

As a boy, hard working Barry always had a job, including janitor's helper in the high school he attended and he saved his money to purchase that first shiny new car. Barry loved cars and he built a kayak, renovated his old farmhouse and harvested then sold the asparagus that had been planted by previous owners of his country property. Friends, family and even restaurants all wanted to purchase Barry's asparagus.

"He hardly ever stopped," said his mom. "He had great ideas how to do things. His mind was always going."

As a geography teacher at Centennial Collegiate, Barry engaged his students in the wider world, taking them on many school trips including a trip to Lesotho, Africa, in 2011 and annual canoe trips in Northern Ontario. Barry loved the outdoors, the hiking, camping and canoeing and he shared that loved with everyone.

His life also revolved around his kids, Simon, 12, and Hilary, 15. Michael said they never had a conversation when his brother didn't mention his children, how proud he was of them.

Joanne agreed, family was important and he was as devoted to his children as his parents. She could call him in the middle of the night and Barry would be there, no complaints, only concern for his parents' welfare and comfort.

There was also a side of Barry that sought out the unique and he found it after joining a U.S.-based cigar club.

Michael recalled: "Like everything else in his life, he became a (cigar) aficionado and, of course, his passion had to include deals."

Barry researched import laws and ferreted out the best prices on the best cigars and he made many contacts, regularly volunteering at Cigar International festivals and gatherings.

Long-time friend Katharina Richter said "he had so many passions, so many different circles of friends, he was always busy, always had things going on."

Katharina remembers Barry for many reasons, but one in particular stands out. It was the night a group of friends were enjoying a campfire, but one woman's teenage daughter kept phoning, insisting she come home.

"Barry said 'tell her you're out having a life,'" said Katharina. "He certainly took time out to enjoy his life."
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And thank you, Chris, for posting it in a manner where I could read it. It's an interesting and well written article and I know we all miss Barry. May he Rest In Peace.. 
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great read on a great guy! RIP bro
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for sharing this 
    RIP Brother 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    Dammit.
    I came to get the skinny on Cigarfest '17 and found this.  I'll forever have many great memories of this super good dude.
    RIP Bear :(