Home General Discussion
Options

Cabinet Humidor Project

Comments

• Options
    Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @matkn293

Ok this is weird.... I turned the cigar Oasis sideways so that it was no longer blowing up the front of the glass.

and immediately the entire humidor is starting to humidify.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is wild. You need to move that controller for the magna to the middle or to the top. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    Made a tiny bIt of progress. Drilled out a couple more shelf holes. Went and got some black silicone, shelf supports, and some magnetic door holders. Relocated all the pieces to the basement where I will construct it so I don't have to move the whole thing later. Next up is seal the corners of the sides with silicone and then get the main part of the cabinet together. 

• Options
    Also ordered 16 trays for this thing today. Should be here next week sometime. 

• Options
    That's gonna be a nice humi when your done.
    If I put the controller anywhere else it just runs forever and doesn't stop

• Options
    cigarbreathcigarbreath Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Diver43 said:
    Humid air rises, possible right out that opening you have?
    You can help seal the wood by using a furniture polish preferably an unscented wax.  Also look into some door seals.  Is the glass seal to the wood of the door frames?  Looks great by the way.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh I like that. 
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been toying with this same idea.  I want a large cabinet but haven't seen anything with the details I want.  Your cabinet is very similar in style to what I'm looking for.  Can't wait to see the end result, and the end costs if you don't mind.
  • Options
    It took a while to find what I liked. I could have done with out the drawers and this one to be a touch deeper but when the deal came up for a brand new one I jumped all over it. No problem letting you know cost. Only X factor now is the SC. Waiting for local hardwoods company to get back to me. 

• Options
    @cigarbreath

I thought the idea was for the wood to absorb moisture during seasoning....if you seal it with furniture polish, it won't season will it?

• Options
    @cigarbreath

I thought the idea was for the wood to absorb moisture during seasoning....if you seal it with furniture polish, it won't season will it?
    I can only imagine he's going to environmentally seal the entire thing and then line the inside with Spanish Cedar.
  • Options
    matkn293 said:
    It took a while to find what I liked. I could have done with out the drawers and this one to be a touch deeper but when the deal came up for a brand new one I jumped all over it. No problem letting you know cost. Only X factor now is the SC. Waiting for local hardwoods company to get back to me. 

Awesome.  I'm hoping local wood companies will be the way to go when I undertake this same project.  From what I've seen online Spanish Cedar is pretty pricey!!
  • Options
    It certainly can be. You can go with a couple different woods but SC is A #1. 

• Options
    Alrighty... got the sides and top put on. Used black silicone at all the areas that touch. Then ran another bead in the corners after put together. Pulled the doors out and there is a pretty good seal where glass meets wood. Going to give it another bead of silicone though. I have not done the vertical sealing yet as I am going to rip a small piece of the SC boards I get to make a 45 degree corner for the LED tape lights to attach to. Will use the black silicone to seal the vertical corners and adhere the SC in this front corners. 

• Options
    Going to switch out the back piece that came with the unit for a piece of 1/2" Mdf. Will paint it with a semi gloss paint on all sides to seal and provide a finish on the back of the unit. I will adhere the Spanish cedar for the back to this MDF. I think I am going to leave the sides (on the inside of the cabinet as they are. I am going to look into some plastic plugs for the shelf homes that I do not use. 

• Options
    edited February 2017
    @cigarbreath

I can only imagine he's going to environmentally seal the entire thing and then line the inside with Spanish Cedar.
    If you have raw base wood for the cabinet part, you will need to seal it. You do not want to seal the Spanish cedar. Putting a stain on it the cedar without a sealing finish would be ok but will be a lengthy drying and curing process as it will take several weeks to not smell like stain. I did it with the drawers on my winedor and it looks nice. 

• Options
    @cigarbreath

Sealing the wood on the outside - the finished side.
  • Options
    Ahh ok that makes sense

• Options
    Ahh ok that makes sense
    Keep the humidity on the inside by sealing the pores of the wood on the outside.  Mention the furniture polish assuming you already have a finish on the wood.  Another layer of sealant.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're doing a terrific job Mark keep it up, thanks for sharing progress as this is really fun to watch! Would love to do this myself when we eventually get a house and buy it and make our lounge in there, will be referencing this for sure! The big ho is always going to be locating properly kiln dried spanish cedar to line everything with and that can be a major headache! Best of luck brother!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    It's actually pretty easy @90+_irishman. A local shop has it. They just don't carry 4x8 sheets of it. I would like to do 1 solid back piece in 1/4" rather than butting 1/4" boards together. They have 3/4" stock that I will use for the shelves and then cut aeration holes into. 

• Options
    @matkn293

I can't wait!
    I might be more excited than you are lol.
    This might give me ideas on customizing mine

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    matkn293 said:
    It's actually pretty easy @90+_irishman. A local shop has it. They just don't carry 4x8 sheets of it. I would like to do 1 solid back piece in 1/4" rather than butting 1/4" boards together. They have 3/4" stock that I will use for the shelves and then cut aeration holes into. 
    Awesome stuff, very very cool! Cant wait to see all of this!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coming along nicely.

• Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark, IIRC, didn't Walt Basil do a big humi project a while back? Tagging him in hopes he might weigh in for any tips/tricks @WaltBasil
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options

I was scrolling through a Facebook swip swap site last night while telling my wife how excited I am that you're doing this project.  She has known for some time that I want to take on a similar project and that I've been unsatisfied with the cost and quality of the humidor cabinets I've seen online. 

No sooner had I told her this I stumbled upon a cabinet almost identical to yours, except front panels were solid with no glass, for $100. 

I'm wondering now how hard it would be to change those doors to glass..... 

• Options
    May not be too hard.   Steady hand with a saw would be required and some extra wood for glass stops.  Sealing it wont he hard.  Just a little bit of silicone.  

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or, if you're good with a router...  that would be my tack.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    My wife runs several facebook swip swap sites here in Jacksonville so I'll probably just wait for one that's a little more manageable for me.  I'm not very experienced with wood working.  It's not going to keep me from trying though, but I'll definitely need to start with something free or super cheap that way I don't sink too much money into it if I completely screw it up.  I'm sure she'll find me one for free.  It's absolutely amazing what she finds for free.