Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Car & Truck Talk

Comments

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you and I need to stop dropping crap!!!  LOL
    The older you get, the more it happens.
    The hands just aren't as dexterous as they used to be.
    Having broken many bones, sometimes they just let go. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Sounds like you and I need to stop dropping crap!!!  LOL
    The older you get, the more it happens.
    The hands just aren't as dexterous as they used to be.
    Having broken many bones, sometimes they just let go. LOL!
    Unfortunately, I think it comes with the territory with fellows like us here who are accustomed to working with our hands our entire lives.  I've always felt it was a blessing and a curse to be mechanically inclined.
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spend probably an hour/week on my hands and knees, looking for some 1/8" round thing or #70 drill, etc.... It's a small workshop; you'd think it would be obvious, amazing how they can travel or elude discovery. 

I second what clearlysuspect said about working with your hands. Between years working on a farm and decades with a hammer or pliers or wire cutters my hands are a mess. 
  • Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran some extremely fine steel wool over a few very small spots on the fork tubes that were a bit marred but it was super fine and very small spots. I highly doubt that is the issue, I am also going to check the brake fittings as we had to take off and bleed the brakes when we took everything apart. Will report back when I know more but I suspect its the dust covers as I can see fluid leaking and pooling near them.
    If you didn't use oem seals and they are available I highly recommend them. Never had much luck with aftermarket seals. 
  • Options
    Grrrrr....trying to drive my truck to and from work until my IPR valve gets in.   It's been running great with no problems.  Stopped in autozone to get a couple feet of coolant hose for a small leak I need to fix, come back outside and the truck won't start. IPR pegging out at 84% and HPOP won't climb above 200 psi.   :(

It's not been a good weekend for me. 
  • Options
    Starting to think this small coolant leak could be the culprit.  It's directly in front of the HPOP.  Could be shorting the connector out.   Would explain why it runs and starts fine after it sits for a while too.
  • Options
    When I do training classes, I like to tell them that sometimes you have to fix the "known problems" before you can fix the unknown problems.

Meaning, fix the issues that you know are there, then tackle the other ones, cause sometimes, one will cause another one.

It's like the guys who put the K&N filters in and then run into MAP/MAF problems, to find out that the sensor is oil soaked from the filter.
    Or the ones who put full flow exhaust on their vehicles, only to have an O2 sensor problem. 
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Well, in all fairness I was there to buy the hose.  LOL

That's certainly good advice and philosophy.  
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran some extremely fine steel wool over a few very small spots on the fork tubes that were a bit marred but it was super fine and very small spots. I highly doubt that is the issue, I am also going to check the brake fittings as we had to take off and bleed the brakes when we took everything apart. Will report back when I know more but I suspect its the dust covers as I can see fluid leaking and pooling near them.
    If you didn't use oem seals and they are available I highly recommend them. Never had much luck with aftermarket seals. 
    Totally agree Larry, sadly these were genuine Ma-Kawi seals straight from them... going to have to pop the dust covers and look inside and see what I can see about the seals from the top :(
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options

I spend probably an hour/week on my hands and knees, looking for some 1/8" round thing or #70 drill, etc.... It's a small workshop; you'd think it would be obvious, amazing how they can travel or elude discovery. 

I second what clearlysuspect said about working with your hands. Between years working on a farm and decades with a hammer or pliers or wire cutters my hands are a mess. 
    I do this ALLLLLL the time in my garage Edward, its a small one car garage you'd think it would be easy to search that small an area but NO! I have lost a number of nuts and bolts that way working on the GPZ. My worst was when I was building my Camaro and dropped a bolt down the open engine block... had to pull the engine and take it apart to get it back ARRRGH!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options

My worst was when I was building my Camaro and dropped a bolt down the open engine block... had to pull the engine and take it apart to get it back ARRRGH!
    Ouch!  You couldn't boroscope that thing??? 
  • Options
    Didn't have one, had to take the block out and take it all apart.... it sucked LOL
  • Options
    You have to remember that those things really didn't become affordable until the last 10 years. So the average DIY mechanic didn't have them, as it was tough to justify that cost.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    0patience said:
    You have to remember that those things really didn't become affordable until the last 10 years. So the average DIY mechanic didn't have them, as it was tough to justify that cost.
    You gotta get you one of those cameras I posted earlier.  It's one of the best $12 I ever spent! 
  • Options
    I got my new IPR valve in the mail today.  With the right combo of extensions I was able to change it without removing the turbo.  My wife actually got the connector off for me because the connector was clocked to 6 O' Clock (facing down) and I couldn't get my hand in there.  It was definitely a cheap after market IPR that was installed so no surprise it was failing. The screen wasn't attached either so some previous owner did a really crappy job on this repair.   Smoked a "car 'gar" Don Rafael while I did it.  First one of the originals I've had.  The project and the cigar weren't anywhere near as bad as I thought they would be.   The Don Rafael wasn't pretty but it reminded me of a MoW Virtue and was down right tasty in the final third. They truck is running great now.  Hope it stays that way for a while. 
  • Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pulling the dash always sucks!  I've done it twice.  I'd almost rather buy a new vehicle than pull a dash!  Lol. 

Do all of us here have back problems? 
    My backs been f***** since freshman/sophomore year in high school. Got speared on the lower right side after a big run. It healed up and thought all was well. Around 22 I had stopped working out, huge mistake my the way. Got weaker over the years and the last two years my back started flaring up again, stuff coming out of alignment causing other stuff to fail. Been seeing a Chiropractor and thought all was well until I mauled an entire 140 year old hickory tree…

Got to wear this back brace whenever doing stuff now which helps a solid 80% but can only do so much. Working on the Camaro and beater truck really like to mess it up! Solution is to workout and strengthen my core muscles.

Lesson from all of this never stop working out and workout the stuff you don't like to work, especially the core muscles.    
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    Holy crap!  So I had to change the #1 glow plug on my 6.0 the other day.  After I removed the intake pipe, the injector control unit, some mounting plates, harness, and all assortment of connectors I couldn't quite get to it well enough to remove the connector without an extraction tool.  So I spent another hour removing the left wheel well shroud, wrapped some safety wire around the area where the $4 tool would have gone and yanked it off unbroken with a pair of pliers.

With tool it would have taken 30 minutes.  Without tool it took 3.5 hours. 

Needless to say, the tool is in the mail now.
  • Options
    Correct tool usually helps.
    But if you are buying the OTC one, you might want to look at the Lang tools 504 puller.
    Way better puller and only a few bucks more.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    My niece called me because she has a custom Harley that she has been doing work on and she couldn't get the turn signals to work.
    After having her test the turn signal, check power to the flashers and check all the wiring, it had occurred to me that I never asked her when the problem started.

She then tells me that it started when she changed out the turn signals to LED turn signals and changed the flashers. 
    After several other questions, I discovered that the flashers that the parts place sold her are for regular lights, not LED and won't flash with LED lights. 

So, it just goes to show you that having ALL of the information to start with saves a lot of time and diagnosing. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Yes.  Output should drop from a 12vdc output to a 5vdc output when switched to LED.
  • Options
    0patience said:
    Correct tool usually helps.
    But if you are buying the OTC one, you might want to look at the Lang tools 504 puller.
    Way better puller and only a few bucks more.
    Ooooohhhh....that one does look nice.  I'm not sure it would fit into some of the tight spots where these glow plugs are though.  Most guys I've seen in videos bend them in one way or another for easier use.  I'll probably pick those up too.  Thanks for the tip. 
  • Options
    Selling back to VW my 2015 diesel Sportswagen (for more than I paid for it) and thinking of getting the same (Golf wagon) with a gas engine, or the about to be released Volvo V90. Wondering if anyone has the Golf and likes it.
  • Options
    Yes.  Output should drop from a 12vdc output to a 5vdc output when switched to LED.
    Well, the problem is that a standard flasher is a thermal flasher. Meaning it uses resistance to heat up and actuate. Since the resistance in LEDs is negligible, it won't allow the thermal flasher to heat up enough to actuate. 
    So an electronic flasher is required for LEDs, as it uses voltage input to actuate.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Selling back to VW my 2015 diesel Sportswagen (for more than I paid for it) and thinking of getting the same (Golf wagon) with a gas engine, or the about to be released Volvo V90. Wondering if anyone has the Golf and likes it.
    A friend of mine has the Golf GTI and loves it and he's a BIG man. 
    I'm talking big. He loves the comfort of it (personally, I don't see it), the power and economy. 
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    My neighbor across the street from me I believe is in this same situation. 
  • Options
    I don't know about the newer VW stuff.  I used to have a 2002 Passat and loved it until a little old lady decided to make a left 90 degree turn from the right lane directly in front of me.  I had enough time to say "$4i+" then bang!  Not even enough time to get my foot to the brake.  Haven't driven anything other than trucks since then.
  • Options
    I stopped at a local parts store because my son's battery wouldn't take a charge.
    Brought it in to them and told them I tried charging it and load testing it and it wouldn't take a charge.

Immediately this parts guy starts in on me about how it was probably the ground or charging system. I tell him that I've already tested the grounds and charging system.
    And they need to charge and test it.

He then tells me that "you might not have tested it correctly."
    My wife almost lost it. My son is like, you have no idea.
    So I tell him, Ok buddy, do what you have to do and I tell him we'll be back.

So I text my niece, who is a manager at a Wyoming store and tell her what happened and that I might not be buying parts there.
    OMG, she calls them.
    Next thing I know, they call and say the new battery is ready to be picked up.

So I go pick it up, they won't even look at me. Great, I'm the bad guy.

So today, my oldest finds out about it and he is good friends with the manager and tells him what happened.
    So now, the manager is pi$$ed and Tuesday, the fleet rep is stopping by my shop.

It went from being an irritating event to a full blown mess.

So now, because this guy treated customers poorly, there is a possibility that he will lose his job and I end up feeling responsible.
    This sucks.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    sorry, @0patience. I'd a just clicked a button but none is appropriate for this situation. We need a 'yeah it sucks' button.
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had a pesky intermittent check engine light on my wife's car (09 Saturn Outlook) for a while. I have the Auto Engenuity diagnostics and it would clear the code but not diagnose the problem. I ended up getting the ELM 327 bluetooth adapter for OBDII and the Torque Pro app to connect with it on my phone and BOOM cylinder 6 misfire. Changed plugs today, dropped number 6 coil pack into number 5 hole in case it shows up as a #5 misfire now I will know its the coil. No problems yet. Less than $10 in the diagnostics, great package
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    And you just paid for the adapter and Torque Pro in what you probably saved.
    I'm surprised that Auto Enginuity didn't give you a P0305 code for the misfire, since the P0300 codes are the most basic codes.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: