Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Car & Truck Talk

13»

Comments

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I got the Ford upgrade when I had the F350 but didn't upgrade for GM. Would clear it but it identify if
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well that's kind of crappy of them.
    The P0300 (misfire) codes are generic codes, so you shouldn't have to upgrade for them.
    You should only have to upgrade for the manufacturer's codes. 

But then again, that's probably why I've never dealt with them.

Most code readers or scan tools supply the generic information as a standard.
    Then charge for an add-on module or upgrade for the manufacturer specific codes.

Which is why the App programs are beating up the hand held scanner manufacturers and they aren't happy about it.

Innova is working on an app right now, but they are trying to make it as complete as their scan tools and that is proving a little harder than you would think.

I suspect in the next couple years, we'll see the apps for scan tools being marketed by a lot of the larger scan tool manufacturers.
    Snap on and Bosch already have ones out for automotive.
    They aren't cheap and their adapter is specific to their app.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭

@0patience I clicked the "disagree" button because I don't think it's your fault at all.  From what you're telling us, the guy could have handled it a lot better.

Hell, I wish the guys where I buy parts from could even think to offer something like "perhaps  you didn't check the grounds correctly."  The last time I was in there I told they guy I needed a glow plug for my 06 F250 6.0.  He asked me if it was a car or truck?  I just looked at the manager like "Really?  This is what you're hiring these days???"

I wouldn't worry about it.  You're job was to fix your vehicle.  You did your job. His job was to provide you with good customer service and it seems like he didn't do his job.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    @clearlysuspect
    I would agree with the parts guys offering suggestions, had it come across as a suggestion, but this guy's arrogant tone with me sat wrong with me and I would have probably have blown it off, except when I explained what all tests we did, he went into the "you don't know what you're doing" mode.
    That didn't go over at all. 

The fleet rep stopped by and apologized and said that when the manager had a talk with the guy, his response was, "what makes him so special?"

Nothing makes me special, other than that is not how to treat any customer.

I agree with what they are hiring.
    Some people they are hiring have no business working retail.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Glad that ELM327 is working out for you @dirtdude .  

After seeing what Torque Pro can do I can't imagine using anything else. 
  • Options
    For a minimal investment I was very happy with the results. The Torque Pro wouldn't reset the fault but would at least tell me what the fault was I was dealing with . Time will tell , might just run it while I am having this smoke
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Well, not exactly car and truck talk but I did some spring tune ups on the lawn mower and pressure washer.  Changed out the spark plugs, air filters, oil, and cleaned out the carburetors.  The walmart here isn't carrying a quarter of the stuff they used to.  I had to get everything at the home Depot across the street. 
  • Options
    Well, my SS starting to make a little growl on left turns and I knew it was the wheel bearing, so I started checking prices. 
    Ouch! $186 each side.
    So my son is working at Autozone now and I text him to see what he could find.
    2 year/40,000 mile warranty wheel bearings for $49.95 each.
    They aren't Timken or Moog, but Timken only has a 1 year warranty. 

So that makes me happy as hell.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    ElJimboElJimbo Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    ¡Prefiero morir de pie que vivir siempre arrodillado! -General Zapata
  • Options
    0patience said:
    Well, my SS starting to make a little growl on left turns and I knew it was the wheel bearing, so I started checking prices. 
    Ouch! $186 each side.
    So my son is working at Autozone now and I text him to see what he could find.
    2 year/40,000 mile warranty wheel bearings for $49.95 each.
    They aren't Timken or Moog, but Timken only has a 1 year warranty. 

So that makes me happy as hell.
    That's pretty good.  I don't know why but some hubs can get pricey really fast.  We rebuilt the entire drive train on my wifes last vehicle, a 2005 Ford Expedition, and the rear hubs were $200 a piece.  And that was the Duralast ones.  They only when up from there for Moog or Timken.
  • Options
    ElJimbo said:
    He had a summer house in Seaside, Oregon for a bit in the late 70s.
    He would dress up and go around town meeting folks and taking the time to talk to them. I have never met a nicer celebrity in my life. 

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Well my fellow mechanically inclined friends, I'm in need of some help. I've been getting my butt kicked today.  It's not really car or truck related.  It's actually my lawn mower.  My Craftsman 675 series Briggs & Stratton push mower started acting funny.  It will start up for a minute but will quickly start to lose power and will slowly sputter out.  

I've done all the basics: clean oil, purged the gas, new spark plug, cleaned carburetor, new air filter, even pulled the exhaust to make sure that wasn't clogged up.   Starting to think the cylinder seals are blown and it's just losing compression. 

Anything else you guys can think of?
  • Options
    I wasn't smoking a cigar while working on it.  That coulda been the problem too!  Lol
  • Options
    Check and see if there is a screen on the bottom of the tank.
    Some have the hose that runs into the tank with a screen on it and some had a fitting with a screen.
    Others, the screen may be a little filter on the hose. 
    But most times start and stall is a fuel starve problem.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might consider running a little throttle cleaner or a similar product through the gas line. Believe it or not, seafoam works well in mowers too. Plenty of vids on YT.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Options
    Agree with Tony, my first real job was working in a small engine shop but that was 40 years ago. Are lawn mowers fuel injected these days?
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    dirtdude said:
    Agree with Tony, my first real job was working in a small engine shop but that was 40 years ago. Are lawn mowers fuel injected these days?
    No fuel injection.  It's a very simple carburetor system.  I'll look into the possible fuel issues.  I don't think it's getting clogged at the tank though.  I've drained the fuel 3 times now by disconnecting the fuel line at the carburetor and there is good gravity flow. 

I picked up some "mechanic in a bottle" yesterday and its been sitting in the mower over night.  Hopefully that fixes my problem. 
  • Options
    So the mechanic in a bottle didn't help. I did notice another interesting detail this morning.  If I tilt the mower back, push down on the handle lifting the platform, the engine will speed up to normal operating speed for about a minute and then choke out very quickly. 
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first thought was fuel, as has been discussed above by folks who know more than me, but I've also had funny-running problems with the flywheel magneto and coil.  Had a cracked flywheel once that would run cold, stop when hot.  Just a thought, because it sounds like you've already done everything else.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad it was an easy fix. Sounds similar to what I was working on this week on the Bronco. Is your's adjustable? If so, you'd want to set it up on a stone cold engine so that the butterfly valve is completely closed on cold startup.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Options
    @Markwell there is no adjustment on the valve.  There is a spring that pulls it back closed when it's off.
  • Options

^^^^That literally made me bust out laughing in the middle of work! 

I stopped in the other day for a couple glow plugs for my F250.  The guy asked me if that was a car or a truck?  I knew then I was in for a ride!!!  LOL

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^^That literally made me bust out laughing in the middle of work! 

I stopped in the other day for a couple glow plugs for my F250.  The guy asked me if that was a car or a truck?  I knew then I was in for a ride!!!  LOL

Tell him it a mid sized sedan. And have him grab you some headlight fluid while he's at it.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Don't forget to order up muffler bearings and belt stretchers.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Don't forget to order up muffler bearings and belt stretchers.

My boss on a new job tried that on me when I was about 20.  I knew nearly nothing of mechanical things, and started for the truck.  Then I stopped and asked him if he meant those U-shaped clamps for the mufflers, were those also called "bearings".  He looked at me a moment, then said;  "You'll do, I reckon".  I learned a lot at that job.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Momma  reminded me I have 2 weekends to go to get my SS cleaned up and ready.

34th Annual Rod Run To The End Of The World

Last year 17:04 my truck is the silver truck in front of a red pickup

https://youtu.be/7YejRja6tdA

Here is another video that shows more of the town cruising.

https://youtu.be/ik-7zsN44VI

If you ever get out this way during September, this is a fun event.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: