Filter or not?

Diver43Diver43 South FloridaPosts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did a search and from what I have read, most agree that if you do not inhale, no filter is needed.

Is this way of thinking just for Cob pipes or for all?

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Cape CodPosts: 7,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just a matter of preference. I find they mute the flavor (with aromatics that might be a good thing, lol).
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Cambridge NebraskaPosts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have some Dr grabow briar filter pipes and have never put the filters back in. I treat cobs the same. I feel like they change the flavor and draw of the smoke. There is another type of filter that I may try if presented the opportunity. It is a balsa wood triangular prism that allows smoke to pass around it rather than through. These are supposed to only remove excess moisture and not affect the draw or flavor
  • WylaffWylaff Reno, NVPosts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ever filter I've ever seen gets nasty very quickly. I've always pulled and tossed them.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

I hate myself, and I don't regret any of it.

• Diver43Diver43 South FloridaPosts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess for the most part, I am at least mostly right then.  I removed the filter on each of them before using and have not even attempted to purchase any.

@silvermouse gave me a link to a site for pipes and I was floored at the cost of some high end ones.  They sure look nice though.  I have been leaving my tablet on the page showing pipes that I like, hoping that the Mrs. puts one under the tree for me. 

Speaking of moisture, I ordered a tin of Sherlock Holmes and that stuff is all but dripping it is so moist.  But it smells wonderful when you open the tin.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Loveland, COPosts: 12,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    May need to dry some of it before smoking Diver. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • silvermousesilvermouse Cape CodPosts: 7,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aromatics use PG as a carrier for the flavoring. It is hygroscopic, so the more humid the air the wetter the tobacco. I don't like the stuff.
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Cambridge NebraskaPosts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That style of tin generally does come plenty moist. If you fluff it out and jar it loose, it will regulate itself out pretty quick. At least mine did in its quart size jar. 

Best of luck planting the seed for the gift pipe.

I suppose it's worth noting that those paper "pass through" filters are disposable. I dont want to condescend but I hadn't seen that mentioned yet. In the very beginning I replaced them after every smoke. Then I started getting lazy and only putting in a new one after smoking all day. I was an uneducated heathen and didn't rest my pipe. Then I reached peak laziness and just stopped using them entirely. 
  • Diver43Diver43 South FloridaPosts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    May need to dry some of it before smoking Diver. 
    Funny thing.  I had watched a video on loading a bowl and one thing it said is to lay out your tobacco, go make a tea or coffee or whatever then come back and pack the bowl.  Turned out to be very realistic timing as the tobacco felt very wet, but after a few minutes rest on the granite counter while I made coffee it was perfect.
  • jsnakejsnake Kansas CityPosts: 5,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No filter for me in any pipe.