Home Pipes

Filter or not?

Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did a search and from what I have read, most agree that if you do not inhale, no filter is needed.

Is this way of thinking just for Cob pipes or for all?

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just a matter of preference. I find they mute the flavor (with aromatics that might be a good thing, lol).
  • Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have some Dr grabow briar filter pipes and have never put the filters back in. I treat cobs the same. I feel like they change the flavor and draw of the smoke. There is another type of filter that I may try if presented the opportunity. It is a balsa wood triangular prism that allows smoke to pass around it rather than through. These are supposed to only remove excess moisture and not affect the draw or flavor
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ever filter I've ever seen gets nasty very quickly. I've always pulled and tossed them.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess for the most part, I am at least mostly right then.  I removed the filter on each of them before using and have not even attempted to purchase any.

@silvermouse gave me a link to a site for pipes and I was floored at the cost of some high end ones.  They sure look nice though.  I have been leaving my tablet on the page showing pipes that I like, hoping that the Mrs. puts one under the tree for me. 

Speaking of moisture, I ordered a tin of Sherlock Holmes and that stuff is all but dripping it is so moist.  But it smells wonderful when you open the tin.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    May need to dry some of it before smoking Diver. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Aromatics use PG as a carrier for the flavoring. It is hygroscopic, so the more humid the air the wetter the tobacco. I don't like the stuff.
    That style of tin generally does come plenty moist. If you fluff it out and jar it loose, it will regulate itself out pretty quick. At least mine did in its quart size jar. 

Best of luck planting the seed for the gift pipe.

I suppose it's worth noting that those paper "pass through" filters are disposable. I dont want to condescend but I hadn't seen that mentioned yet. In the very beginning I replaced them after every smoke. Then I started getting lazy and only putting in a new one after smoking all day. I was an uneducated heathen and didn't rest my pipe. Then I reached peak laziness and just stopped using them entirely. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    May need to dry some of it before smoking Diver. 
    Funny thing.  I had watched a video on loading a bowl and one thing it said is to lay out your tobacco, go make a tea or coffee or whatever then come back and pack the bowl.  Turned out to be very realistic timing as the tobacco felt very wet, but after a few minutes rest on the granite counter while I made coffee it was perfect.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No filter for me in any pipe. 
  • GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pipe noob question alert

I see it mentioned here that sometimes filters are not used in your pipes. Looking online I also see retailers mentioning their pipe can be used with or without filters.
    Are some pipes made to only be used with a filter (won’t work without one)?

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some pipes are made to only be used with filters, some have an adapter that you can use to bypass the filter, and many pipes don't take filters.

There's paper filters and balsa wood triangle filters. I have some Carey Magic Inch pipes that take papyrus filters but they don't impede the draw, rather they have vent holes in the side of the plastic stem that pull in outside air to make a cooler smoke. You can cover or tape over these vent holes to bypass the filters but I haven't seen the need. I don't have any experience with other pipe types that accept filters.

Common filter sizes are 6 and 9 mm and Savinelli has filter adapter (tubes) that you can install to bypass the filter if you bought a pipe that accepts filters but you'd rather not use filters.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

not

Physically its possible to smoke any filter pipe I've seen without a filter. On some pipes designed for filter use, the draw can be way too wide open when used filterless.

I believe its savinelli that makes some filter pipes that come with an acrylic insert the same dimension of the filter to tighten up the draw.

• GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you everyone for the answers!

Thanks! @Captain_Call As a pipe newb, I wanted to steer clear of filters (doesn’t sound appetizing) and if I had come across this problem, shyte would have just sucked and I wouldn’t know why 😆

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

Filter is the first thing I toss.

• VisionVision Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife says I have no filter 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

I miss ol' @Captain_Call , and @90+_Irishman . I always wonder what's happened? Especially considering what I've been through lately. I know Brett had some family/financial challenges he was facing. Perhaps both were. Hope all's well with them.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    I miss ol' @Captain_Call , and @90+_Irishman . I always wonder what's happened? Especially considering what I've been through lately. I know Brett had some family/financial challenges he was facing. Perhaps both were. Hope all's well with them.

@Captain_Call was on the forum June 23th
    Seems like he has been lurking 👀..

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....