Home Cigar 101
Options

Boveda recharge

2»

Comments

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    Why use distilled water if you are relying on water vapor to recharge the bovedas? Dissolved solids will stay with the water under the screen.

But the mold spores will travel with the water vapor onto the boveda And perhaps inside?

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

I connect mine to USB. Still rock solid tho. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision said:

?

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:

@Vision said:

?

Re-charging a Boveda pack...... Like charging a cell phone… With USB

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^^^^^ It was me, I disagreed. I would explain but, ............

• Options
    skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've found my cigars taste better if I use the local drainage pond water to recharge the bovedas. I highly recommend it. Just toss them out there, and come back a couple days later, they will be washed up on shore fully charged and ready to roll.

How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rsherman24 said:

This system has worked the easiest, quickest and cleanest for me. Cut a piece of wire mesh to fit in a Tupperware and put distilled water in the bottom. Recharge in a couple days. I have been using this container for years. Will hold 5-6 packs

I presume @rsherman24's method to be the optimal method because, during recharging, the product is simply perfuming as intended. It is absorbing excess moisture above it's RH rating. Maybe there's no harm in soaking them, I've done it both ways and can't prove there's much difference except I know you can really blow one up if you soak it too long.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's why my accidental recharge with just enough water was so surprising. Maybe I'll try weighing the Bovedas and just put them in the specific amount of water to make up the difference, say weigh out 50 grams of distilled for a 60 g pack that only weighs 10 grams. No waste, no drying.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Lil_bumpLil_bump Posts: 5

How do you prevent over charging a boveda pack to the point they are now a one-way device? I found that a recharged pack does not work very well when you need to lower the humidity of a space.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

Charge them until they weigh what they say they weigh on the actual device

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just charge them until they look right. If they're overstuffed, just leave them out of the humidor until they shrink a bit. It doesn't need to be rocket science.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

You could try and bake some of the humidity out of the Boveda in a toaster oven on a lower temperature, but I don't know if anyone's tried this. If you live in a place with high humidity this may be your best option besides putting them near a dehumidifier, putting them under an incandescent lamp, leaving them out in the sun or on your dashboard, etc. You want to keep them clean and avoid picking up mold spores so I don't think I'd leave them on my dashboard.

You could also use some depleted Bovedas in a Tupperdor with the overcharged Bovedas to equalize the charge, recharging the depleted ones with the overfilled ones.

Stopping when the Boveda reach their rated weight is good and I've recently become a fan of recharging the Bovedas with just a little bit of water so that they don't overfill and all the water is absorbed. Next I'm going to weigh my Bovedas before hand and add just enough water to the tupperdor that I soak them in to make up the difference and see how that works.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Lil_bumpLil_bump Posts: 5

Thanks for the reply