Home Non Cigar Related
Options

New hobby

Comments

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Digging through a box of rocks today and came up with a few specimens of chrysocolla chalcedony, a fairly rare gemstone but not terribly valuable, will get them cleaned up next week and see whats there.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:

Found this on the way out this morning, why would it be so heavy?
    Almost looks like pyrite, but pyrite tends to be more crystalline. But probably muscovite. Hard telling.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    0patience said:
    dirtdude said:

Found this on the way out this morning, why would it be so heavy?
    Almost looks like pyrite, but pyrite tends to be more crystalline. But probably muscovite. Hard telling.
    Definitely pyrite, been studying up. Vety angular crystals, scrathes copper.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Cleaned up a couple pieces of gem Silica today along with a couple stogies stands and a piece of unidentified leverite.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:

Cleaned up a couple pieces of gem Silica today along with a couple stogies stands and a piece of unidentified leverite.
    Leverite? Had to use my googlefu to figure out what that is
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    That's rocks you probably should leave er right there.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, Randy... on the Vherf last night we were talking about your beautiful handiwork, and Nathan @TheBeardedOne864 was asking how you do it.  Nobody really knew any specifics.  Maybe you could post some pics of the process and/or your equipment.   o:)
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Oh, that one will show up next year after it's approved.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:

Finished
    That is one bad-a$$ skull cracker! 
    Niiiiiiice.
  • Options
    The old biker bro I put that together for wears it everyday.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Todays project, posted this previously but it needs to be approved in a couple years. It all starts with the rock, picked this piece up thinking it had a glass like quality to it. You never know until you make the 1st cut.
    Not glassy at all but I like the color contrast, black, white, light and dark green and the pyrite that didn't show on the surface. After the first cut I decide this may be a keeper, not what I expected but lets see where this goes. It's a fairly good sized rock with a cavity in it.
    So I figure it may make a single use ashtray.
    Sure as hell, stand/ashtray combined.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    That is awesome stuff Randy and you’re doing a great job, very impressive congrats! Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing!

A word of warning. Malachite is great because for carving and shaping because it’s soft but it’s also toxic. The dust and chips if breathes are toxic to you and prolonged skin exposure is bad. Many Native American rock carvers use malachite and have health issue over time due to it. I’d recommend using gloves when working with it and a mask. Just don’t want to see you sick or hurt brother so giving you a heads up and looking out for you. 

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    I take the precautions Brett, good info, mal = bad.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    dirtdude said:
    I take the precautions Brett, good info, mal = bad.
    I figured you already did but I hadn’t seen anyone mention it and it happened to be a weird fact I had rolling around in my head so I figured I would mention it. Would feel terrible if you got sick or something and I could have told you about it but didn’t. Glad all is good and I hope you are enjoying your hobby, those stands are amazing and any cigar smoker let alone Ccom brother or sister would be thrilled to have one. You do good work and they are bitch1n’ man 😎

may ya want to consider selling them, over they would sell well. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    dirtdude said:
    Got a couple headed your way in the lottery box, take what you like and give the other to pops.
    Thanks randy that is extremely cool as well as generous of you! Can’t wait to see them and was totally unnecessary but I truly appreciate it and am excited! Can I pay you for them or send you something in payment? I know Pops will love em too, thanks a ton 😃
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I got a cigar stand from a famous Southwest artist.  He's dead now, so it's worth a lot more."
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    dirtdude said:
    Got a couple headed your way in the lottery box, take what you like and give the other to pops.
    Thanks randy that is extremely cool as well as generous of you! Can’t wait to see them and was totally unnecessary but I truly appreciate it and am excited! Can I pay you for them or send you something in payment? I know Pops will love em too, thanks a ton 😃
    You don't pay for a lottery win bro.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    dirtdude said:
    dirtdude said:
    You don't pay for a lottery win bro.
    Lol haha ok fair enough. But I was more referring to the extras you said you added. 
  • Options

Started a few more projects today. The bottom one has 10,000 sparkles which I am guessing the largest are the white circles, cannot see a thing that would cause those sparkles.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found this cigar rest at a jewelry/lapidary store/museum in Red Bluff today along with a nice agate piece. The Wife picked up pyrite for her class.

Almost picked up a piece of two parallel Orthoceras that would have made a good rest.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To all of you rock hounds. The photo is a sampling of some cuts that made it through the tornado. Lost all of my polishing and cutting tools and a ton of stock. Some of the cuts not shown have sparkles embedded. Some have flashing colors much like moonstone.

What I need to know is what method and materials can I use to hi-polish them in order to make "things". We need to make up for the loss of business because of the Chinese sites, mostly Ali-baba(?).

• Options
    jd50ae said:
    To all of you rock hounds. The photo is a sampling of some cuts that made it through the tornado. Lost all of my polishing and cutting tools and a ton of stock. Some of the cuts not shown have sparkles embedded. Some have flashing colors much like moonstone.

What I need to know is what method and materials can I use to hi-polish them in order to make "things". We need to make up for the loss of business because of the Chinese sites, mostly Ali-baba(?).

The polisher I use @jd50ae is belt sander wheel, change belts w/ differ grits, use a dremel for small pieces
    A little dirt never hurt