Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Going back to Istanbul and Izmir Turkey

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like an adventure.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big move but sounds like a very fun and interesting one. Best of luck and have fun 😃
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoy the coffee
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Double post because it appeared to not have been posted the 1st time.
    Post edited by jd50ae on
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Have at it ole boy, near the coast I hope. I'd spend all day sitting at a cafe looking at the sea, or sitting on a sea wall.
  • Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow exciting adventure awaits hopefully we will get to enjoy more pictures. Safe travels 

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I caught the last twenty minutes of a travel channel show featuring Istanbul. Looks like an amazing city. 
  • Options
    GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brother, I'm a little jealous. The foods, variety of cultures, and people look amazing there. What an adventure! Post up some pics of some of the wild stuff you see! Make sure to pack up all your smokes nice and tight  :#
  • Options
    dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I caught the last twenty minutes of a travel channel show featuring Istanbul. Looks like an amazing city. 
    Brother, I'm a little jealous. The foods, variety of cultures, and people look amazing there. What an adventure! Post up some pics of some of the wild stuff you see! Make sure to pack up all your smokes nice and tight  :#
    When I opened the forum to post something  in this thread, I saw that you two had commented on my trips. Istanbul is an amazing city...and it just ranked as the 2018 cheapest city to visit/vacation in. It has amazing architecture and a storied history for nerds like me to get lost in. And the food is fantastic! 

As as I have posted in a few other threads, I am currently packing and preparing to move there.

@GaryThompson, don’t worry...I have one large suitcase that is just for my cigars, pipes, and accessories! I will buy new humidors when I’m settled in there. 

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • Options
    I had no idea how much stuff I had until I started selling and giving away stuff in prep for my move.

For several years I have been repairing and refurbishing old cowboy boots, then I got into selling new ones as well. With many requests for other items that expanded into selling jeans, ladies and children’s shoes, and various other items.  One guy with a local boutique came two days ago and bought a full sized truck load (extended cab and bed full) of new women’s and children’s shoes, boots and clothing. There’s an equal amount of men’s jeans and shoes left that he hasn’t gotten yet. 

I still I’ll have to sort through my personal boot and shoe collection and decide what I can and can’t live without

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • Options
    You can not replace (for the most part) old records and tapes.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dbeckom said:
    I had no idea how much stuff I had until I started selling and giving away stuff in prep for my move.

For several years I have been repairing and refurbishing old cowboy boots, then I got into selling new ones as well. With many requests for other items that expanded into selling jeans, ladies and children’s shoes, and various other items.  One guy with a local boutique came two days ago and bought a full sized truck load (extended cab and bed full) of new women’s and children’s shoes, boots and clothing. There’s an equal amount of men’s jeans and shoes left that he hasn’t gotten yet. 

I still I’ll have to sort through my personal boot and shoe collection and decide what I can and can’t live without
    Very neat as I love cowboy boots. Got an old pair of Tony Lama bullhides that are about worn out and a pair of Luchesse 2000 black cowhide from my Dad but they are about half a size big so I have to wear two sets of thick socks with them. Always wanted a pair of full quill ostrich as I love how they look. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    I sold 3 pairs of ostrich quill boots in the past year. I just finished work on a pair of pre-ban Tony Lama elephant skin boots from the early 70’s. They had only been worn about 3-4 times and I got them for a steal. I always hate working on boots that are my size because I always want to keep them! I have them sitting on the back of my couch with a pair of Tony Lama shark skin boots that I bought at the same time. They also are in near mint condition. I don’t see how someone can buy boots and only wear them 3-4 times in 40+ years 

• Options
    Bro, you are bringing back some serious memories! My Gramps was from East TX, and used to rock the Gator, Ostrich, Rattler and Lord knows what else kind of boots. Always pointed, always cut heel and SHINY, sometimes with caps on the toes. I grew up in CA and as a kid, I was sooo fascinated by them and was always staring and trying to touch them when he wore them.  I miss that crazy Texican everyday and will be reminding my family about those boots, tomorrow!  Good luck.
  • Options
    ^^^^I'm gonna do that to my Ariat's but leave the hard-toe shell  <3
  • Options
    Trish said:
    @dbeckom I knew you looked familiar 🤣😉
    Those are the ugliest things I’ve ever seen! 

• Options
    TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dbeckom said: loop
    Trish said:
    @dbeckom I knew you looked familiar 🤣😉
    Those are the ugliest things I’ve ever seen! 
    Ugly but funny as hell..lol
  • Options
    It’s taken me weeks to sell/donate/and pack all of my furniture and clothes, but I’m finally finished. Now all that’s left is to pack up my cigars and pipes for the flight back to Istanbul to my new home. 

I will travel back to GA every 3-4 months to visit, restock my cigars, and bomb someone here with some cigars and Raki (Turkish liquor). 

• Options
    TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    dbeckom said:
    It’s taken me weeks to sell/donate/and pack all of my furniture and clothes, but I’m finally finished. Now all that’s left is to pack up my cigars and pipes for the flight back to Istanbul to my new home. 

I will travel back to GA every 3-4 months to visit, restock my cigars, and bomb someone here with some cigars and Raki (Turkish liquor). 
    Safe travels and congrats on your next chapter. Don't forget to send pics now and again!!!
  • Options
    Trish said:
    dbeckom said:

Safe travels and congrats on your next chapter. Don't forget to send pics now and again!!!
    @Trish I’ve had a few requests to update my Instagram and post many pictures. I will start when I get settled in. I have tons of pictures already, including a bunch of the ice sheets and glaciers from my flights over Greenland. I will get it started then invite y’all to check it out 

• Options
    edited December 2018
    @dbeckom
    Thumper has arrived. Thanks so much. I am not going to shorten it at all, great weight and comfortable to use..
  • Options
    @peter4jcThey are very harsh to people with drugs! I would not dare even try. LOL 

@jd50ae it is my brother @RBeckom that sent you the walking stick. 

• Options
    dbeckom said:

@jd50ae it is my brother @RBeckom that sent you the walking stick. 
    And a very fine walking stick it is. Thumper is it's name.
    Thank you for clearing that up, I have been very confused to say the least.
    My apologies.
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^and thank you for clearing up what a thumper is, did a search engine inquiry and none of them made sense in context with your postl
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^and thank you for clearing up what a thumper is, did a search engine inquiry and none of them made sense in context with your postl
     :D did you have the search safe on moderate or off
  • Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    You should check out the hash and opium over there, I heard it's killer.  And if you get caught you get free room and board for life.
    Midnight Express, doesn't someone get a nose or an ear bitten off in the movie?
  • Options
    GlassjoeGlassjoe Posts: 25
      Istanbul was Constantinople
    'I think,' said Christopher Robin, 'that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.'