Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Post Every Boring Aspect Of Your Mundane Life Thread

Comments

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hate to hear that Jim. They definitely become part of the family.

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

:(

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's trying poor old man

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry Jim.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options

Thanks guys

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a real bummer for you both, Jim, sorry to hear it.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough day, you have my sympathy Jim.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did some things today, but they're not worth posting in light of Jim's pup going to meet the Great Owner in the sky. May Diesel enjoy his new doghouse.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry Jim.

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your loss, Jim.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear Jim

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

So sorry, Jim.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prayers for Diesel and for you and yours Jim.

• Options

Thanks again to all of yous guys😚

• Options

Got a dump load of firewood yesterday. Years ago I would have bought a load of logs and cut and split it myself. When I turned 70 I started to buy it already cut and split. Anyway, I loaded it in a wheelbarrow and started to stack it under the back roof of my studio. Mostly oak with a little birch. Will finish today. The price has gone up since last year. $250 last year and $300 this year for a little over a cord delivered.

• Options

I am with you, Rodger. Last spring I cut and split and stacked a cord of wood that the storm took down. At 74 I can't do that much any longer due to a bad hip, ankle and hands; farm work earlier in my career set me up for osteoarthritis. Bought two cords and paid a fellow to stack it. It's up to $400/cord delivered here.

• Options

@First_Warrior @silvermouse i am just curious how long a chord typically lasts for each of you. I was also curious about the availability due to your location Edward. Wood is plentiful in this area if you’re able to do the work yourself; however, you would be hard pressed to find someone that actually knows what a chord is. They tend to “measure” by the truckload lol.

• Options

They tend to “measure” by the truckload here. Comes out about right. Wood is trucked in to the local dealer from New Hampshire I think. Hardly anyone here actually heats with wood except us old folks, the main business is for folks with fireplaces. We go through a little less than 3 cords in a typical winter.

• Options

There is a very small percentage here of people that still heat with wood and a small percentage that heat with coal. Those that heat with wood typically do the work themselves or family members do it for them. There isn’t much of a market. We are surrounded by national forest and people are allowed to gather any fallen trees from government land, just not allowed to fell any trees. What’s left of the logging business also provides a lot of opportunities for easy to get firewood.

• Options

Old time figuring for a cord of firewood around here is 4 feet wide 4 feet tall and 8 feet long. We have a kerosine radiant heater at the house and use wood on those cold nights. I have a ceiling hung propane tube heater in my studio for overnight and I usually crank up my wood stove first thing in the morning. My studio is 1300 sq ft with a ten foot ceiling on the ground floor so it is a lot of space to heat. We go through a cord at the house and two cords at my studio. Now I have to get at least six boxes of kindling worked up from my scrap pile.

• Options

That’s how I’ve always known a chord to measure as well 4’x4’x8’

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two pallets worth.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿
    🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿
    🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿
    🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿
    🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿

• Options

🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿
    🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿
    🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿
    🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿
    🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm gonna guess Edward is either burning acorns or squirrel chit.

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options

them's chipmunks ^
    we are were overrun with them and we don't have enough weasels. I give them a sporting chance by not putting bait in the trap. Figure I'm culling the stupid ones.

Reproduction: Breeding occurs twice per year - once in the spring and once in the summer - when chipmunks give birth to 4-5 babies at a time.

• Options

Well hell you should have enough for a good mess by now.

• Options

They are a vector for several tick-borne diseases. The nymph ticks feed on the chipmunks and then pass the bugs on to larger mammals, like me. I used to believe that if I killed an animal I should honor it by eating it. Until a tick gave me Lyme and Babesiosis. Still have aftereffects from that coinfection and can never donate blood since the antibody to babesia persists and a test cannot tell if there is an active infection. I tried putting the chipmunks out with the crows' food but they won't touch them even though they adore mice and voles. So the bodied get tossed in the woods for the skunks and possums. And whatever other critter wants them.

• Options

Yeah, it’s not really safe to eat any animal until there has been at least one good solid frost to kill off parasites. We have several species of botfly here along with the other parasites that will infect small animals like squirrels and rabbits pretty badly.