Comments

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    You're

To late.

• Options

Joking. Ya'll know I spell better then that.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

Than 😂

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

You all

Don't look ↑
  • Options

Their’s only so much abuse I can take.

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob_Luken said:

A challenge!

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

There’s

• Options

@IndustMech said:

@Bob_Luken said:

A challenge!

No challenge has been ensued. Besides, I could care less.

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭✭✭

Couldn't

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

issued

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still stuck on the second verse of the song when ET sings "she's a lonely little gal living all alone"
    Of course she would be lonely captain obvious, if she is living all alone. @Bob_Luken do you see what you did to me by going down the rabbit hole on black as jet. Shaking my head and face palming at the same time.

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options

@Bob_Luken said:

Filipino Baby (Ernest Tubb 1946)

"Her hair is black as jet"

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    Black as Jet? What? I'd heard the term jet black all my life and thought I knew what it meant, but when I heard it flipped around I realized I never actually knew what it meant. Jet black was the only way I had ever heard it, and through only osmosis assumed it meant, well,..... a very dark shade of black.

Worked by man as far back as 10,000 BC, it's a gemstone.

It's got nothing to do with jet engines or airplanes. It's not "a" jet, it's jet.

I know that I know nothing. - Socrates, according to Plato.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

https://youtu.be/Q7jaWXWM_ko
    I had been listening to some old country songs from the 1940s and I heard the line "Her hair is black as jet" and that's how I started down that rabbit hole. In this way I love the internet for it's resources. In other ways I hate it.

Per phrase finder "black as jet"

What's the origin of the phrase 'Jet black'?
    'Jet' is a well used word; we have jet engines, jet boats, jet washes and so on. Pretty well all of the common uses of 'jet' derive from the 'ejected stream of material' meaning - apart, that is, from 'jet-black'.

Jet is a hard, semi-precious stone formed by the fossilisation of wood. It may be either dark brown, with or without lighter brassy streaks or - and as far as we are concerned this is the significant characteristic - a deep glossy black. 'Jet' has been with us as a word since the formation of English and, as with many old words, it appears in early records with a myriad of spellings - 'giette', 'gete', 'jit' and so on. The earliest known reference to the stone (as 'get') is in John Lydgate's epic poem about ancient Troy, Troyyes Book, written in Middle English around 1425:

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Youins

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

@Bob_Luken said:
    Isn’t anyone going to correct Paul? Oars it just me getting the grammar slamming?

Know one has tat much thyme to fix all my grammatical errands, even spill check gave up

• Options

@TNBigfoot68 said:

@Bob_Luken said:
    Isn’t anyone going to correct Paul? Oars it just me getting the grammar slamming?

Know one has tat much thyme to fix all my grammatical errands, even spill check gave up

Oh,.. well I was thinking about how being alone isn't necessarily lonely, and you can be lonely without being alone.

• Options

@Bob_Luken said:

@TNBigfoot68 said:

@Bob_Luken said:

Oh,.. well I was thinking about how being alone isn't necessarily lonely, and you can be lonely without being alone.

Yes you are correct, but everytime I have listened to this song over the years, I'm like what did he just say. Some of the lines in this song makes my brain hurt. Lol.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

China’s Bid to Improve Food Production? Giant Towers of Pigs.
    High-rise hog farms have sprung up nationwide as part of Beijing’s drive to enhance its agricultural competitiveness and reduce its dependence on imports.

26 stories worth of pigs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/08/business/china-pork-farms.html#commentsContainer

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    edited February 2023

When I necro bumped this thread a few days ago I was happy to find it because Marty @jlmarta had started this thread in the spirit of personal discovery and sharing. And others followed his lead in that regard. I reasoned that it was the perfect spot for me to share about something unique that I had learned personally.

News articles from the world wide web, while interesting, are not unique knowlege that you gained personally. May I suggest posting them elsewhere. While I have enjoyed learning from those posts, I would prefer us to keep the theme of this thread the same as Marty began.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

What the **** did I just read?

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

@Patrickbrick said:
    What the **** did I just read?

For you, I will condense it.

In this thread,.........
    Please do share stuff you learn firsthand.
    Please don't share stuff that anyone can read off the internet.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are absolutely correct, @Bob_Luken. The little voice in my head was saying to post this in the Useless Information thread, or YCMTSU. I agree with your thinking and will do better in the future.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

A greenheck makeup air unit first waits for the outside air damper end switch to make before it then waits for the air flow sensor to sense air flow not a pressure switch before the burner lights...stupid greenheck makeup air unit