Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Any auto mechanics out there

13»

Comments

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used an attorney I found on the internet.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    edited June 2019

Save all your paperwork.

Do you get a loaner vehicle?

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this an attorney you need because you're suing the dealership and/or manufacturer?

Or is this an attorney you think you'll need because you're going to smash a few of those mofos in the mouth?

My money is on the latter.  :smile:
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Save all your paperwork.

Do you get a loaner vehicle?

Yes I have a loaner, will get mine back tomorrow but I'm done playing games. I did the internet search as well but you never really know if it's a good law firm or not,  that's why I asked if there was another place to check the firms history aside from  BBB. 
  • Options
    TrishTrish Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Is this an attorney you need because you're suing the dealership and/or manufacturer?

Or is this an attorney you think you'll need because you're going to smash a few of those mofos in the mouth?

My money is on the latter.  :smile:
    HAHAHA if you only knew Peter... 
  • Options
    Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lawn tractor question. I was cutting my grass on my riding mower and the engine started losing power then cut off. I checked the spark plug and cleaned it, has fresh gas, the starter is working. It turns over but won't start. It seems like it's not getting spark. Any suggestions?
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Spark plug wire?  Bad wire or loose connection. 
    Bad coil?

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sleddog46 said:
    Lawn tractor question. I was cutting my grass on my riding mower and the engine started losing power then cut off. I checked the spark plug and cleaned it, has fresh gas, the starter is working. It turns over but won't start. It seems like it's not getting spark. Any suggestions?

A lot of the lawn tractors these days will not run if the oil is low, you might check that.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Sleddog46 said:

A lot of the lawn tractors these days will not run if the oil is low, you might check that.
    Always check the oil first. It was running and cut for a bit. Going to pull the fuel bowl tomorrow and see if there's any water in it.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had a mower once that the flywheel cracked on.  I have no idea why.  It would run when cold, then as it heated up and the crack expanded the magnetic sensors grew too far apart to properly create the spark.  Weird stuff happens.  Of course, I drove myself crazy going through all the other more normal possibilities first.  Good luck! 
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check the air filter @Sleddog46
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Is there a kill switch either in the wrong position or faulty 

• Options
    I tore it apart today and found a broken rod. Hopefully if I replace that I'll be good to go.
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've been having "issues" with the boss lady's new Highlander. Monday it goes in, cause I swear it is possessed.
    All of the auto featurea work when they want to, but not usually when they are supposed to. The radio speech thing never works and tonight, it tried to pull me into the incoming lane with it's lane correction thing.

So the boss lady makes a comment, maybe we shoukd have gotten the Tundra.
    Really?? I so hate you right now.
    NOW you say maybe we should have gotten the truck.

Monday, I will present them with my "laundry list" of this monster and they'll tell us nothing is wrong with it.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    This reminds me of why I don't own Chevy's anymore. I purchased a new car and a couple of months later the power steering pump fell off into the drive way. The dealer allowed me to purchase new brackets to reinstall PSP and rent a car while it was out of commission, about a week. A few months later the PSP fell off again. this repeated itself for a year. The problem was discovered when a bracket showed up that had been missing the entire time. So I approached the owner (I thought we were friends) only to discover I was SOL and he refused to assist me in any way including contacting GM. So, I thanked him and made a promise to never purchase a car from him again. Finally made it to Toyota and have not looked back. I have a 2005 Tacoma with 250 K miles, and a 2006 Avalon with 200 K on it, with no plans of replacing either one anytime soon. I bought the Avalon new for The Boss, and the Taco used with 50 K on the clock, used it to commute 100 miles a day for 11 years.  
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Certainly sucks when your vehicle doesn't perform as expected.

Worse when the dealership sucks too. I was lucky, I went to a good dealer with a great service manager.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bump @ShawnOL think this is the one.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @deadman .

Ok. '01 f150 4.6l 4x4 wiring. Need my power windows and don't have the money to put it in the shop to fix all of the wiring issues. Need to run a wire from battery to power window switch. Probably going to connect at the left kick panel since running a wire through the rubber boot to the door is impossible. Can't find a wiring diagram for a 2001 but '99 and '02 list the same color power wire, blue w/ black stripe.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

You should have a 12VDC outlet or 3 up front near the lower center of the dash. Might be easier to run your wire to the center pin of a 12 VDC adapter and route it behind the dash. Or check the inside fuse panel for a blank pin you can tap into.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

Oh, yeah, if you do go straight from the battery, use the same size wire as you're splicing into and put an inline fuse a few inches from the battery connection. Put one in if you go off the fuse block too. The outlet should have a fuse in its circuit already. Current limiters protect wiring, not components. It'd suck to torch your rig just by opening a window.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options

Running straight to the battery is asking for trouble.
    Run to a key on source.
    I'm not a fan of re-routing or adding wiring and you aren't sure where the short is, so wiring around it, may create another problem.
    Have you tried unplugging the power window switches, one by one and seeing if the short goes away? If it does, then it's the switch.
    Check fuses 14 & 15. See if they have power with the key on.
    Use a test light. The fuse might not be visibly blown, but still not supplying power.
    There is also a Power window relay. Are you sure it is working?

Does the dome light, courtesy chime and wipers work?
    Do you have power to the fuses? Underhood fuses and panel under the dash?
    Is power out to driver side and pass side window switches?

Here's the thing, if you bypass the wiring and connect wrong, you take a chance on destroying the body control module.
    If you don't have a test light, get one. Then determine what HAS power and what does NOT have power.
    Then, a person can narrow down the source of the problem.

To be honest, I suspect a short in the master switch on the driver's door.
    Coffee or water may have gotten into it.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options

From my understanding, the power windows circuit is dependent for power from the circuit that handles the dome lights and 'battery saver' , whatever that is. Fuse #14 supplies power to the dome lights and battery saver relays.
    The power windows are on these circuit, hidden. The manual doesn't even list a power windows fuse slot.

I disconnected all sockets on the dome light circuit looking for a short but can't find one. I have no clue what the battery saver relay actually supplies power to.

If I had an empty fuse position that has power I would supply the windows from there but none do.

My intent is to bypass everything before the window switch. Having already replaced the gem module (body control module) I have the original working module on hand if needed. My electrical knowledge is very basic and the addition of all the extra relays and such in the circuit kind of puts me in over my head.

I don't mind doing it the ghetto way, like I said, I just need to get the summer out of the truck. It's an old truck that has been pushed beyond it's expected life span. I was in a position to replace it last year but life threw a brick at me and I couldn't.

• Options
    Significant3Significant3 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

A one year update. My JB Weld job held like a champ. I did have to re-thread it once with some new teflon tape due to a slow leak developing. I finally, however, sent the car to the mechanic have the oil pan replaced so I don’t have worry about it any more.
    @0patience

• Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:
    From my understanding, the power windows circuit is dependent for power from the circuit that handles the dome lights and 'battery saver' , whatever that is. Fuse #14 supplies power to the dome lights and battery saver relays.
    The power windows are on these circuit, hidden. The manual doesn't even list a power windows fuse slot.

I disconnected all sockets on the dome light circuit looking for a short but can't find one. I have no clue what the battery saver relay actually supplies power to.

If I had an empty fuse position that has power I would supply the windows from there but none do.

My intent is to bypass everything before the window switch. Having already replaced the gem module (body control module) I have the original working module on hand if needed. My electrical knowledge is very basic and the addition of all the extra relays and such in the circuit kind of puts me in over my head.

I don't mind doing it the ghetto way, like I said, I just need to get the summer out of the truck. It's an old truck that has been pushed beyond it's expected life span. I was in a position to replace it last year but life threw a brick at me and I couldn't.

Do you or someone you know have access to a power probe? My initial thought is use the power probe to follow the circuit and find the short. Overlaying a new circuit is never a good idea and should only be done by someone with experience. It could cost you more in the long run.

Can you PM be the vin?

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options

Sure, I'll ok tomorrow in the pm. Thanks.

• Options

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: