Home Non Cigar Related

A question for the gun guys

13»

Comments

• Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Diver43 said:
    ShawnOL said:
    Yeah, humidity sucks for blued guns.  I have the same issue with a Carcano I inherited.  What are you using for gun oil?
    Light coat of quality gun oil and put it in a silicone treated gun sock.  There are all kinds of forms of desiccant.  I live in South Florida, humidity down here can be brutal and none of our old or new guns have never rusted.
    So this silicone treated gun sock. Can it be put on and then the rifle put into a hard case?
    I've never seen those before.
    Yes they can. I also store mine in the socks when leaning in the safe. Keeps rub marks off them when the trains go by and shake the whole house
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did a repair and cleaning on a very nice long gun. Great job if I do say so myself. Instructed the client on storage, lubes and such. We always recommended putting in some moisture killer desiccant in closed storage units, ya know like a safe or even hard single firearm cases.
    He came back after some time had passed. There was small areas of rust on parts of the metal. DO NOT ALLOW THE DESICCANT TO TOUCH ANY METAL. It should be a tub type or even those little paper packs.
    When it was pointed out that the shape of the rust was eerily similar to the shape of the desiccant packs, and the number of rust spots were the same as the number of packs..........well.........he was a little embarrassed and called himself some bad words.
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Diver43 said:
    ShawnOL said:
    Yeah, humidity sucks for blued guns.  I have the same issue with a Carcano I inherited.  What are you using for gun oil?
    Light coat of quality gun oil and put it in a silicone treated gun sock.  There are all kinds of forms of desiccant.  I live in South Florida, humidity down here can be brutal and none of our old or new guns have never rusted.
    So this silicone treated gun sock. Can it be put on and then the rifle put into a hard case?
    I've never seen those before.
    If it were mine, I would NEVER store any gun in a case.  They are made for transporting them and have a tendency to hold moisture.

The https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=gun%20socksgun socks are almost basically the same, you can spend a couple bucks or a lot.
    I use these:  
    But google and amazon are your friend for this product.

There are so many storage types there are too many to list.  If it is just the one rifle, there are lockers and safes that can be had cheap to stupid expensive. My buddy has one locker for his hunting rifle that slides behind the sofa or behind cloths in your closet.  The desiccant also comes in many forms, packets, canisters that be recharded in the oven, or the ones mentioned above that you plug in to recharge the beads. There are also electric rods for inside a safe, golden rod is one that is easy to find.
    It all depends on how much you desire to spend.
    That rifle seems to mean a lot to you, a few bucks to keep it safe and last a long time is money well spent. 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    edited January 2020
    The tornado that ate my firearms and everything else gave one  back. A Para Ordnance 45, my 2nd favorite pistol. After a very long time buried in the mud it was found, by accident, and it was a total wreck. I had worked on it pre storm for hours. It was a joy to shoot and very very accurate. The magazines (not clips) were never found. I broke it down completely, every pin was removed. Took to hand polishing every part, the rust was everywhere. Sprayed it with silicon and all the parts went into a silicon bag for storage.
    Eye and hand problems, and the loss of all my gunsmiths tools made it impossible for me to put it back together.
    Just found a real gunsmith, old school, with a great reputation. He is some distance away from here. When the money allows he will get it, and hopefully restore it to its previous splendor.
    Will post it when it happens.
    jd50ae said:
    The tornado that ate my firearms and everything else gave one  back. A Para Ordnance 45, my 2nd favorite pistol. After a very long time buried in the mud it was found, by accident, and it was a total wreck. I had worked on it pre storm for hours. It was a joy to shoot and very very accurate. The magazines (not clips) were never found. I broke it down completely, every pin was removed. Took to hand polishing every part, the rust was everywhere. Sprayed it with silicon and all the parts went into a silicon bag for storage.
    Eye and hand problems, and the loss of all my gunsmiths tools made it impossible for me to put it back together.
    Just found a real gunsmith, old school, with a great reputation. He is some distance away from here. When the money allows he will get it, and hopefully restore it to its previous splendor.
    Will post it when it happens.

JD, sorry to hear about your issues.  There are lots of youtube videos to walk you through putting your 1911 back together. Replacing springs and small bits and pieces isn't that expensive and if needed can be picked up a bit at a time. As you know the most expensive will be the barrel if it needs to be replaced.  Frame and slide are easy fixes, just time consuming. John Moses Browning invented the 1911 to be taken apart and reassembled with minimal tools. Good luck with your project, gunsmith shouldnt charge too much to go over a 1911 and put it together. That gunwill desearve some nice grips when you get it running again
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I have to win the lottery.

https://youtu.be/ous3RprumzQ

Meh, too expensive to shoot