Home Non Cigar Related

39 years ago today Mt St. Helens rocked the NW.

0patience0patience Oregon CoastPosts: 9,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
An event that rocked the area and gave a clear indication of just how powerful nature can be.
I had never seen such power and hope to never see something of that magnitude again.

There is no crisis that a good cigar can't cure.
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta 50 miles from ParadisePosts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The child bride and I were living in Longview, WA when the old gal blew her top. We were only about thirty-odd miles from it and never heard a sound. The north side of the mountain was mostly blown out directing the sound northward. 

Woke up to a light drizzle and about four inches of ash on our roof. I’d forgotten it happened so long ago.....  
  • Diver43Diver43 South FloridaPosts: 1,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jlmarta,  I was right down the road from you in the town of Vader.  We had a clear view of it through my ex's parents living room window.  We did not hear a thing either, just felt the rumble and watched boulders the size of a house fly up into the air.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    And the mud flow that came down the canyon was horrendous. I remember driving up that canyon after the road had been reopened and seeing the mud-level marks on trees about thirty feet up. 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Green ValleyPosts: 5,040 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incredible power that day, I was in Chehalis where we could see the mountain implode. Wandered through that area North of the mountain years later, the destruction was amazing.
    A little dirt never hurt
    ^^^^^. I’ll drink to that. Of course, I’ll drink to most anything.... 😜
  • dirtdudedirtdude Green ValleyPosts: 5,040 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That episode helped form my thoughts on today's global warming trend, so much heat and smoke, 
    A little dirt never hurt