Home Non Cigar Related

39 years ago today Mt St. Helens rocked the NW.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
An event that rocked the area and gave a clear indication of just how powerful nature can be.
I had never seen such power and hope to never see something of that magnitude again.

In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The child bride and I were living in Longview, WA when the old gal blew her top. We were only about thirty-odd miles from it and never heard a sound. The north side of the mountain was mostly blown out directing the sound northward. 

Woke up to a light drizzle and about four inches of ash on our roof. I’d forgotten it happened so long ago.....  
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jlmarta,  I was right down the road from you in the town of Vader.  We had a clear view of it through my ex's parents living room window.  We did not hear a thing either, just felt the rumble and watched boulders the size of a house fly up into the air.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    And the mud flow that came down the canyon was horrendous. I remember driving up that canyon after the road had been reopened and seeing the mud-level marks on trees about thirty feet up. 
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incredible power that day, I was in Chehalis where we could see the mountain implode. Wandered through that area North of the mountain years later, the destruction was amazing.
    A little dirt never hurt
    ^^^^^. I’ll drink to that. Of course, I’ll drink to most anything.... 😜
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That episode helped form my thoughts on today's global warming trend, so much heat and smoke, 
    A little dirt never hurt