Home Non Cigar Related
Options

El Paso/Ohio Shootings

2»

Comments

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @jd50ae What's it feel like to be so right when everyone else is so wrong? It must be a terrible burden on you.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publications/making-change-possible/mental-health-services

They did it in England also.

Bob_Luken said:
    Hey @jd50ae What's it feel like to be so right when everyone else is so wrong? It must be a terrible burden on you.
    Where did you come up with that? None of your smartass answers, prove it.
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    I love the assumptions being made on here. Fox has become overburdened with hard core libs and their hate, You should check it out. 

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost said:
    This guy is pretty well-spoken and sounds like he knows what he’s talking about. I particularly agree with him regarding the current self-approved generation not having any guidance by their parents. 

Another aspect of this kind of shoot-to-kill behavior can almost certainly be traced back to these misfits growing up with a game controller in their hands playing any number of violent games where ‘killing’ their opponent is meaningless for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that the ‘dead’ opponent doesn’t necessarily have to stay dead - depending on the game and its variables. It’s not much of a stretch to imagine some of the current batch of shooters equating their real-life victims with those game victims who aren’t really people and who don’t have to stay dead.....  Capisce??
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Colin Noir is very insightful regarding 2A topics.  You should look up other videos of his.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    webmost said:
    This guy is pretty well-spoken and sounds like he knows what he’s talking about. I particularly agree with him regarding the current self-approved generation not having any guidance by their parents. 

Another aspect of this kind of shoot-to-kill behavior can almost certainly be traced back to these misfits growing up with a game controller in their hands playing any number of violent games where ‘killing’ their opponent is meaningless for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that the ‘dead’ opponent doesn’t necessarily have to stay dead - depending on the game and its variables. It’s not much of a stretch to imagine some of the current batch of shooters equating their real-life victims with those game victims who aren’t really people and who don’t have to stay dead.....  Capisce??

I believe research has been done on this subject, and video games almost certainly do not play a contributing role in creating psychopathic killers. I mean, if the claim about first person shooters creating these nutjobs who go out shooting people at random has any merit whatsoever, then I would have been camping rooftops at least 15 years ago due to my obscene involvement of game play and 24 hour LAN parties at Counter Strike and Half Life. It's very clearly the psychotropic drugging of America at play, here. Just type "psychotropic drugging" into YouTube, watch and learn. I know some things appear different up there in Alaska, I have a good acquaintance up there at one of the fish canneries, he's an old timer who still believes many myths about our culture, too. But, in all honesty, I'd rather his and your perspective over main stream's any day of the week in any case.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    BKDog said:
    jlmarta said:
    webmost said:

I believe research has been done on this subject, and video games almost certainly do not play a contributing role in creating psychopathic killers. I mean, if the claim about first person shooters creating these nutjobs who go out shooting people at random has any merit whatsoever, then I would have been camping rooftops at least 15 years ago due to my obscene involvement of game play and 24 hour LAN parties at Counter Strike and Half Life. It's very clearly the psychotropic drugging of America at play, here. Just type "psychotropic drugging" into YouTube, watch and learn. I know some things appear different up there in Alaska, I have a good acquaintance up there at one of the fish canneries, he's an old timer who still believes many myths about our culture, too. But, in all honesty, I'd rather his and your perspective over main stream's any day of the week in any case.
    Perhaps apropos of nothing, @BKDog, may I ask in what year you were born?
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Ohio shooter’s parents apologise for ‘insensitive’ obituary
  • Options
    Bat-mastersonBat-masterson Posts: 62 ✭✭✭
    Some facts.
    30,000 plus gun deaths (20,000 suicide).
    Less then 600 with all rifles (bolt, single shot, semi autos)
    So let's just say since FBI doesn't break it down by rifle.  3rd of that number semi autos 200.
    So when they ban assault rifles. And it doesn't even make a small dent in the numbers what will they come after then .22s or 9mm since most are killed by these.
    Remember Virginia tech one of the worst was with handguns.

When I was In school late 70s early 80s, we could bring our firearms to school if we were going to hunt after.
    Had to keep them in principles office.
    But never had school shootings and back then more families had firearms in their home. So it can't be the firearm.

• Options
    Don’t believe I’ve ever seen a firearm just get up and go out and shoot someone.....  

Seems to me someone always has to go along to pull the trigger.....  😏

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the media could stop making these murderers famous rock stars for other nutjob wannabe's.  Fame is a big incentive to kill for these people.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    jlmarta said:
    Exactly what in the flying pig fart does that have to do with the subject at hand? But, if you must know I was born before Reagan became President, which makes me plenty old enough to make a valid point, I assume. I remember Iran Contra, Ollie North, the secret government business model, and what food was like before they started adding high fructose corn syrup to everything. Now, on the subject itself, my point still stands that the American people are being poisoned and drugged, their minds are inundated with chemicals being prescribed, their bodies weakened by GMO garbage in their food, and the chemicals in the water is disgusting. You can travel around the country visiting Wal-Marts and just see the droopy-eyed, dribbling future of humanity, all waiting in line to get their Big Mac's and potato tasting fries. Trust me when I say this, your problem isn't video games making kids violent.
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    BKDog said:
    jlmarta said:
    Exactly what in the flying pig fart does that have to do with the subject at hand? But, if you must know I was born before Reagan became President, which makes me plenty old enough to make a valid point, I assume. I remember Iran Contra, Ollie North, the secret government business model, and what food was like before they started adding high fructose corn syrup to everything. Now, on the subject itself, my point still stands that the American people are being poisoned and drugged, their minds are inundated with chemicals being prescribed, their bodies weakened by GMO garbage in their food, and the chemicals in the water is disgusting. You can travel around the country visiting Wal-Marts and just see the droopy-eyed, dribbling future of humanity, all waiting in line to get their Big Mac's and potato tasting fries. Trust me when I say this, your problem isn't video games making kids violent.
    Easy, big fella. You can ease the chip off your shoulder. I was merely trying to ascertain your generation before I said something that might go against your grain. 

I’m not trying to be argumentive, here, but I was under the impression that psychotropic drugs were mainly intended to calm individuals who are bi-polar, etc., not to rile them up. Drugs like Xanax, Ambien, and others have calming effects, do they not?

• Options
    jlmarta said:
    BKDog said:
    jlmarta said:
    Easy, big fella. You can ease the chip off your shoulder. I was merely trying to ascertain your generation before I said something that might go against your grain. 

I’m not trying to be argumentive, here, but I was under the impression that psychotropic drugs were mainly intended to calm individuals who are bi-polar, etc., not to rile them up. Drugs like Xanax, Ambien, and others have calming effects, do they not?
    I'm not like you, I don't get bent out of shape over politics. No need to tell me to "calm down". This is what my face looks like, it's not one of anger or frustration:
    And read up on the side effects of such drugs, and especially what happens when you should decide to STOP taking them, like when you miss a couple scheduled doses. (hint - it tends to make you violent/aggressive) But, long story short, I'm only ever razzing if I do seem to be abrasive. Except when it comes to filth. I take filth seriously. Well, wouldn't you if you had the face of a rubber ducky?
  • Options
    BKDog said:
    jlmarta said:
    BKDog said:
    jlmarta said:

I'm not like you, I don't get bent out of shape over politics. No need to tell me to "calm down". This is what my face looks like, it's not one of anger or frustration:
    And read up on the side effects of such drugs, and especially what happens when you should decide to STOP taking them, like when you miss a couple scheduled doses. (hint - it tends to make you violent/aggressive) But, long story short, I'm only ever razzing if I do seem to be abrasive. Except when it comes to filth. I take filth seriously. Well, wouldn't you if you had the face of a rubber ducky?
    Well, all I know is that my child bride is a dementia patient and her doctor gives her Lexapro at night to calm her so she can sleep. And if she has to undergo a procedure of any kind they often give her an Ativan to ease her anxiety, etc. And Ambien is a sleeping aid. 

So, if I’m reading it right, then the bulk of these shooters would seem to be over-drugged members of the self-entitled generation(s) who aren’t staying on their meds?  Well, it’s possible, I suppose. But I still think video games have to take their share of the blame. 
  • Options
    jlmarta said:
    BKDog said:
    jlmarta said:
    BKDog said:
    jlmarta said:

Well, all I know is that my child bride is a dementia patient and her doctor gives her Lexapro at night to calm her so she can sleep. And if she has to undergo a procedure of any kind they often give her an Ativan to ease her anxiety, etc. And Ambien is a sleeping aid. 

So, if I’m reading it right, then the bulk of these shooters would seem to be over-drugged members of the self-entitled generation(s) who aren’t staying on their meds?  Well, it’s possible, I suppose. But I still think video games have to take their share of the blame. 
    Not exactly. I wouldn't say they aren't all staying on their meds. Some of these active shooters may just have complications between two or more medications, and it takes some time for certain cocktails to brew, too. Then there's the period where you forget just one of anything and the whole balance goes out of whack for a few weeks at a time, could be random intervals, might cause anxiety, depression, anger and violent tendencies, sleeplessness, you name it. Once that happens, a pattern emerges due to lack of sleep and poor diet, it becomes easier to forget to take your medication on time, etc. and the whole process repeats. It also doesn't help we're placing kids on these medications from an early age and they spend their whole lives popping pills.

And video games have nothing to do with it, like I said. I'm a former gamer, been there, done that. Add to the mix a couple combat tours, I'm not exactly sitting here twitching --no violent tendencies, no medications.Perhaps in SMALL children, young kids, perhaps. But, teens and older, I would say absolutely not. Here's some info on the video game study: https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2019/02/15/new-study-shows-that-there-is-no-link-between-violent-video-games-and-aggression-in-teenagers/#10c0160a328e

• Options
    BKDog said:
    jlmarta said:
    BKDog said:
    jlmarta said:
    BKDog said:
    jlmarta said:

Not exactly. I wouldn't say they aren't all staying on their meds. Some of these active shooters may just have complications between two or more medications, and it takes some time for certain cocktails to brew, too. Then there's the period where you forget just one of anything and the whole balance goes out of whack for a few weeks at a time, could be random intervals, might cause anxiety, depression, anger and violent tendencies, sleeplessness, you name it. Once that happens, a pattern emerges due to lack of sleep and poor diet, it becomes easier to forget to take your medication on time, etc. and the whole process repeats. It also doesn't help we're placing kids on these medications from an early age and they spend their whole lives popping pills.

And video games have nothing to do with it, like I said. I'm a former gamer, been there, done that. Add to the mix a couple combat tours, I'm not exactly sitting here twitching --no violent tendencies, no medications.Perhaps in SMALL children, young kids, perhaps. But, teens and older, I would say absolutely not. Here's some info on the video game study: https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2019/02/15/new-study-shows-that-there-is-no-link-between-violent-video-games-and-aggression-in-teenagers/#10c0160a328e

It appears to me that the operative word regarding the studies mentioned in the Forbes article comes early in the article and is ‘adolescents’. It’s my understanding that adolescents are described as being between 10 and 19 years of age. I haven’t been keeping track but I’d have to guess that most of the shooters recently are slightly above 19. I could be wrong on that. 

Anyway, I’ll settle for agreeing to disagree. I doubt either of us is going to change his mind on this. I’ve been saying for years that when it comes time for me to meet my Maker I’ll be ready. I don’t think I can stand watching any more generations growing up under even more permissive parents passing along even more self-entitlement. 

Good chatting with ya, @BKDog. Thanks for the give-and-take. 
  • Options
    @jlmarta No problem! I like to have a good debate once in a while, and this topic is no exception, I suppose. I am sure we both share a commonality in viewing the youth of today as reckless, entitled, and ignorant. Such is the way of getting older, I suppose. I'm sure that the current system we have in place is not helping, and this nation is becoming more radicalized every year, from virtually every aspect. This is a sign of violent changes to come.