Home Non Cigar Related

SARDINES

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those look fake - better cut 'em open.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love them little Oscardines.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love em in mustard with some Franks Red Hot. But I prefer the small ones over the big fat ones. 
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Read a couple of articles that say because of water temperature where they are caught and their diet sardines are among the safest fish to eat.
    jd50ae said:
    Read a couple of articles that say because of water temperature where they are caught and their diet sardines are among the safest fish to eat.
    Dunno bout that, but tuna love 'em, seals love 'em, porpoises love 'em, whales love 'em, birds love 'em... They're like the cheetos of the sea!
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost said:
    jd50ae said:
    Dunno bout that, but tuna love 'em, seals love 'em, porpoises love 'em, whales love 'em, birds love 'em... They're like the cheetos of the sea!
    You left out @Bob_Luken, he loves them too!!
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you're higher up the food chain, eat enough sardines and you can accumulate mercury too. It's a little quicker if you choose tuna.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    you're higher up the food chain, eat enough sardines and you can accumulate mercury too. It's a little quicker if you choose tuna.
    Yea, the phrase "among the safest" bothers me just a little bit.
    And I believe I read China produces Sunkist. I don't trust anything from China.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My daughter told me that four out of the five sardines she ate today had eggs inside.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

Salt/Cracked Black Pepper and a splash of Vodka.

Et a can of King Oscars today.

Damn fine deens.

• BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

At just over $2 per tin, these sardines are the best I've ever had so far.

Fresh, clean, crisp, savory. I'm impressed, because up until recently I have only ever eaten soggy sardines. I checked into it, and apparently if you steam cook them on racks and let them cool, then can them with sauce, they taste better.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."

I dunno... the tomato sauce idea puts me off. And you gotta buy them by the dozen to try.

@webmost You're gonna like them unless you hate tomatoes. The sauce isn't fishy, it's not acidic either. It's a very light tomato sauce. If you'd like I could send you one but it will probably come with a few cigar bodyguards. Just lemme know.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."

@webmost I can't make a single blend so far that I really like. I thought I had one or two, but that turned out to be a bust. I do have three blends I've been aging about 4 months now, going on 5 months, but I'm betting I don't get that pepper burn goodness I'm looking for.

1) Love Occam. I mean, don't just know who he is and what he means, but just flat love the livinschmidt outta the darlin. Blends with more than 2 or at the very most 3 varieties of filler, you can't tell who's doing what. Fact. So keep it simple. Begin with two. You will rarely need another.

2) Start with puros. Roll a stick all criollo, another stick all piloto, another all corojo, etc. Don't worry what they look like. Sit down and smoke them all at once. Wash your mouth out frequently with rye, or Irish, or rum. Steer clear of Scotch, cause it's smoky already. Steer clear of wine, cause few wines go with gars. Steer clear of sweet sody pops or lemonade. Water is only OK. If I were tasting wines at a vinyard, I would do water and a cracker. Clean palate. So then try imagining, if I put this with that... what have I got? You're holding the criollo in the right hand, the piloto in the left... stick them both in your mouth. Why not?

3) Use a relatively flavor-transparent wrapper, like a CT shade. This is another way of letting Occam do his important work.

4) Once you have a pair of fillers you like together, then move to the binder. What puro would you add to spice up your two fillers? Remember, this leaf will be closer to your nose. So think aromatics.

5) You are almost there. Take the different wrappers available to you and set each one on your tongue until it gets soggy. Which flavor would taste best while smoking those fillers and snurfing that binder? You can easily wrap a strip of leaf around your bound gar; then unwrap it and wrap another, without even putting out your gar. The same CT might be your answer. It does not have to be super flavorish.

6) Keep your baccy crickly but not crackly. Take a look at my "How to roll your first gar" vid if you haven't. I think it's somewheres around 21 minutes in where I demo how to know the right baccy condition. I'll drop a link at the bottom of this. Wet baccy goes gack on you. Dry enough you can gauge the flavor right off the table.

7) Don't worry about mellow. That comes with age. Just worry about raw flavors.

None of this is rocket surgery.

Don't worry about wastage at this stage, either. You are investing in an outcome, not producing one. Throw out lotsa stickage. Don't love it? Toss it.

I've never seen a blending guide. I've seen flavor wheels. One roller attempted a combo algorithm, but it was just a ratio of seco to viso to ligero, so it included X amount of ligero in every blend, and I am not a ligero guy. Never seen a guide how to come up with. Been mooting another vid to address this slippery issue. Best I can say is Occam rocks & use your noggin.

Enjoy your smokes.

Where are you in NE PA? I'm in Newark DE, and I have been known to ride murdersickle a long ways to enjoy a roll-fest.

The vid: https://youtu.be/TCqCESg3Q7c

@webmost Awesome, thanks! It will take me a while to digest this. BIG help to me as far as I'm concerned because I was just going in circles.

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've expanded my canned seafood tastes to smoked oysters with red chili pepper.

A little dirt never hurt
    edited April 2020

I had sardines with lunch today. Tried them on Ritz crackers with combinations of Grey Poupon mustard, Trader Joe's Sriracha sauce, and Sriracha-Mayo. I decided I like them best with just the mustard.

• ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BKDog said:
    I prefer mustard or hot sauce with the canned fish products, but just about any will do me fine. Herring, kipper snacks, salmon, sardines -expired or not, I eat it.(Image)
    And that picture is after my downsizing a few years back when I decided to cut down on my canned goods I keep stored. I ate Spam for about 3 months almost daily...sad to say I only keep less than 2 dozen cans of Bacon Spam now. It's still a favorite I have occasionally. Stuff will keep forever.

I'm with you on the kippers....Open the can, put on the burner till hot, serve on buttered toast.
    Wife hates the smell, so I can only have when she's not around.
    You're on point with the Spam too. I have a can at least three times a month.

Not a big fan of sardines......When I was eight, I stepped on an open can while fishing and got ten stiches in the bottom of my foot.

Makes me think of baking some garlic to spread on crackers. We used to do this at home, the smell would drive my mother crazy.

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

"It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    edited April 2020

I think I just decided what I'm having for lunch today @danielzreyes.

With habanero stuffed olives.

Those Season "sardines" are the worst I have ever eaten in a long career of eating sardines. Horrible.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lunch today was a sandwich: seeded Jewish rye bread, Polar brand Kipper Snacks, cheddar cheese, stone ground mustard from the mennonite store, and a sliced dill pickle. Washed it down with a Dos Equis Lager followed by a Perdomo Mistake cameroon. Perfect. For me, anyway.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    Lunch today was a sandwich: seeded Jewish rye bread, Polar brand Kipper Snacks, cheddar cheese, stone ground mustard from the mennonite store, and a sliced dill pickle. Washed it down with a Dos Equis Lager followed by a Perdomo Mistake cameroon. Perfect. For me, anyway.

I like the way you think.