Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Any tips for cooking a live lobster?

HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭
Title says it all. I've never cooked a lobster. Gonna have steak and lobster for dinner.

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never cooked one, but I've watched quite a few times. I remember getting sea water to use, boiling the seawater in a large pot, and dropping the lobsters in head first, leaving then in till they turned red.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love lobster but don't think I could ever cook one. They are alive and being boiled to death. And I know someone will have to say something about liking them but not being able to cook them. Just my 2 cents.

You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • Options
    firehouseguyfirehouseguy Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use heat
    Cigars were made to be smoked, whiskey was made to be drank and women were made to be loved. The only thing I try to age is myself. 
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Microwave
    Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Oven?
    Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Don't look ↑
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

what Industmech said. As a teen I worked at a Greek restaurant which served lots of lobsters and the chef always crossed himself before taking their lives; impressed me with his awareness. It is a lot quicker death than most.

Rolling boil, throw some salt in, 8 minutes per lb. is about right.

• Options
    HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've googled and looked at a bunch of stuff. The method is consistent. I'm going to steam it. However, the timing seems to vary greatly between all of the info sources.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lobster parts steam, live lobster boil, and as stated toss in head first.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

What was said already, when it is bright red, it is done.

Depending on the size, about 18 minutes for a 2 lb lobster. Sea water is best, totally agree with that. You can add seasoning if you want.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don''''t let them pinch you with their claws.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give the man a cigar!!! If it is a main lobster.

If it is a Rock Lobster, you only cook the tail

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go to Red Lobster

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a day late, but if you place some bamboo skewers in the tail before boiling it will stop it from curling up and leave the tail meat extra tender (no tensed muscles).

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

USE A SHARP KNIFE. Top of the head, center line, push in, then down, Dead instantly. Don't boil your lobsters alive, show some empathy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W37TDK6dBM

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't believe nobody mentioned the most essential first step:

1) Melt two pounds of butter

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Just drop them in head first. Salted tap water is just fine. The sound you sometimes hear is NOT screaming, just steam escaping. There's more to lobster than just the tail and claws. There's also meat in the walking legs, the tail fins and inside the body where the legs attach (iirc). If you don't have lobster crackers, a clean pair of channel locks will work

Empathy not necessary. They only know a few things; eat, breed and run from danger.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone cook a live lobster and record it for me. I dont want no YouTube shìt. I want you to drop the lobster tail first though. Everyone says head first so I'm wondering if they shoot out the pot like a lobster missle
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought you just shot them first ^.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They fuss a lot more tail first.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    I'm so glad I'm allergic to shellfish....
    Don't look ↑
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

They tend to be chewier is they go in tail first. Something to do with constricting muscles and what-naught. It was mentioned in here that you can put a knife through their heads before you cook them, and that will yield the most tender tail meat, but the messiest water and clean-up. And you **** up all the head meat, and possibly the tomalley (liver) if you go too far back. I'm old school. Put a skewer in it's ass and head first into the pot.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two critters that I have hunted utter death screams. Rabbits scream when hit. Most recorded predator calls are rabbit death screams. Lobsters scream when speared. Sound travels great distances under water so the lobster screams attracts sharks and barracuda. Six foot barracudas are spooking looking.