Home General Discussion

Taking the Band Off of the Cigar

2»

Comments

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, not gonna touch that one....

Don't look ↑
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Killer Bee band was tight and clingy, but when the burn line got close enough I was able to ash the cigar and slide the band off the foot.

I took the bands off the Sombrero de Copa this morning early and then the wrapper started to unravel so I slipped a larger Padron band on it to keep the wrapper in place enough to finish smoking it.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the time I lose the band around the halfway mark.
    I've found Cubans are the hardest bands to remove without cutting them....I swear they must use liquid nail to hold them on there.

Worst bands in terms of removing them EVER MADE.

Don't look ↑
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread has me paying too much attention to bands now. Usually I will turn the cigar counterclockwise and I can feel the edge of the band with my left hand and peel it off. Last night smoking a Boondock and I could not find the edge. Was dark on the patio so turned a light on, and it was wrapped in opposite direction. Just this thread in my head or common?

I also noticed that about the boondock. That is the only one I've come across that is like that.

Don't look ↑
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand where you're coming from. Everything in cigars is so subjective that there is no matter of fact way to do anything really, which is kind of awesome.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rsherman24 said:
    This thread has me paying too much attention to bands now. Usually I will turn the cigar counterclockwise and I can feel the edge of the band with my left hand and peel it off. Last night smoking a Boondock and I could not find the edge. Was dark on the patio so turned a light on, and it was wrapped in opposite direction. Just this thread in my head or common?

I wonder if the bands are hand applied?......If so, a left handed person would do it thay way.

• cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most Black Label Trading Co. are that way.

edited January 2022

I've been using the Westcott Titanium Bonded Razor Paper Cutter to slice off cigar bands with good success. I did once drive the foot under the wrapper on a New World Cameroon and slice the wrapper, but other than that it works pretty well, even on Roma Craft. Since the blade has a guard I don't have to worry about cutting myself. These are the kind of paper cutters that are used to slice gift wrapping paper.

Failed tonight on vHerf, broke instead of cut through the band, I think the blade got dull. Not recommended for other than occasional use. Too bad, it was promising.