Home General Discussion
Options

Newbie looking to stock up humidor

DerekDerek Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I purchased a humidor several years ago and quickly became distracted with life. Here I am again, seasoning a humidor and looking to start building a collection. I'm hoping someone can point me toward a sampler I should try. Because I think it might help, I will say that I had a Padron the other night that I loved. Then I had a San Cristobal that I was not at all impressed by.

Comments

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @derek

I haven't met too many people that don't like the San Cristobal line, but that's okay. Which padron did you try? Those are nicaraguan and pretty full bodied, depending on which one. Look for some Nicaraguan smokes to start with.

Cigar.com offers pretty good sampler right now of some expert picks:
    https://www.cigar.com/expert-picks/expert-picks-the-men-of-the-hour/2030589/

Do you have a shop anywhere near you? I'd definitely stop in there too...

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can look through this thread, https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/comment/1138772#Comment_1138772, to see what forum members voted on as their favorites. but nobody can tell you what you will like, or should like either for that matter.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

@VegasFrank said:
    Welcome @derek

I haven't met too many people that don't like the San Cristobal line, but that's okay. Which padron did you try? Those are nicaraguan and pretty full bodied, depending on which one. Look for some Nicaraguan smokes to start with.

Thanks! It was the Patron Series 3000.

I do have a Casa de Montecristo shop nearby.

• Options

Love the 3000s. One of my favs. You could also try cigar of the month clubs. Cigar.com has a good one. Stogiebird, cigar federation, and small batch also have good ones.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@VegasFrank said:
    Love the 3000s. One of my favs. You could also try cigar of the month clubs. Cigar.com has a good one. Stogiebird, cigar federation, and small batch also have good ones.

Awesome I'll check all of these out

• Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Derek said:

@VegasFrank said:
    Welcome @derek

Was it Natural or Maduro wrapper? You can't go wrong with Padron, they are top notch. The 3000 is from their Classic line, great/excellent cigars from all their lines. I'd try their 1926, 1964, and more Family Reserve releases 44, 45 are excellent, some can be pricey but worth it. I've never smoked a Patron I haven't enjoyed.

Check out Viaje, Illusione, BLTC, Crowned Heads, Dunbarton & Trust, Caldwell, AVO, Arturo Fuente, to many to list but lets play with that palate a little to see what you don't like. I'm thinking your a Full Body guy, San Cristobal is mild to medium bodied for the most part, Padron Full Bodied. I'd go to that shop and tell them what you stated here and see what they recommend you.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

@TX98Z28 said:

@Derek said:

@VegasFrank said:
    Welcome @derek

Was it Natural or Maduro wrapper? You can't go wrong with Padron, they are top notch. The 3000 is from their Classic line, great/excellent cigars from all their lines. I'd try their 1926, 1964, and more Family Reserve releases 44, 45 are excellent, some can be pricey but worth it. I've never smoked a Patron I haven't enjoyed.

Check out Viaje, Illusione, BLTC, Crowned Heads, Dunbarton & Trust, Caldwell, AVO, Arturo Fuente, to many to list but lets play with that palate a little to see what you don't like. I'm thinking your a Full Body guy, San Cristobal is mild to medium bodied for the most part, Padron Full Bodied. I'd go to that shop and tell them what you stated here and see what they recommend you.

Awesome. Very thoughtful response! I'm not sure what the wrapper was.

• Options

@Derek said:

@TX98Z28 said:

@Derek said:

@VegasFrank said:
    Welcome @derek

It's not very common for a new member to come on here and say you loved the Padron and not impressed by the San Cristobal, usually it's the other way around for most but not all B)

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options

@TX98Z28 said:

@Derek said:

@TX98Z28 said:

@Derek said:

@VegasFrank said:
    Welcome @derek

It's not very common for a new member to come on here and say you loved the Padron and not impressed by the San Cristobal, usually it's the other way around for most but not all B)

Haha now I'm wondering what that says about me?! I tend to lean toward bolder flavors in my alcohol. That's an area that I'm far more experienced in. My liver will vouch for me. Ha!

I did pick up these up yesterday... Nearly completely random purchases that I'm hoping I don't regret. The one exception is the Romeo y Julieta which I bought about 3 years ago and then completely forgot about it. I'm hoping that rehydration will breathe at least a little bit of life back into it.

• Options

@Derek said:

@TX98Z28 said:

@Derek said:

@TX98Z28 said:

@Derek said:

@VegasFrank said:
    Welcome @derek

Haha now I'm wondering what that says about me?! I tend to lean toward bolder flavors in my alcohol. That's an area that I'm far more experienced in. My liver will vouch for me. Ha!

I did pick up these up yesterday... Nearly completely random purchases that I'm hoping I don't regret. The one exception is the Romeo y Julieta which I bought about 3 years ago and then completely forgot about it. I'm hoping that rehydration will breathe at least a little bit of life back into it.

Smoke that Serie V (think their medium-full) in the middle there and report back how you liked it or not liked anything about it. This will help us somewhat more with recommendations, but I have a strong feeling you're a mostly Full Bodied cigar guy.

• Options

@TX98Z28 said:

@Derek said:

@TX98Z28 said:

@Derek said:

@TX98Z28 said:

@Derek said:

@VegasFrank said:
    Welcome @derek

Smoke that Serie V (think their medium-full) in the middle there and report back how you liked it or not liked anything about it. This will help us somewhat more with recommendations, but I have a strong feeling you're a mostly Full Bodied cigar guy.

I'll do that tonight

• Options

If I was a brand new to cigars and liked Nicaraguan tobacco, knowing everything I know now, this is the sampler that I would buy right now, no questions asked.

https://www.smallbatchcigar.com/best-5-cigars?mc_cid=a46f65b7ee&mc_eid=70e445a90e

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@VegasFrank said:
    If I was a brand new to cigars and liked Nicaraguan tobacco, knowing everything I know now, this is the sampler that I would buy right now, no questions asked.

https://www.smallbatchcigar.com/best-5-cigars?mc_cid=a46f65b7ee&mc_eid=70e445a90e

Purchased... No questions asked 😁

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Description says out of stock

Try the My Father Le Bijou or La Duane both on the fuller side, available everywhere, age great, and taste damn good.

AJ new world Cameroon; fuller bodied and only $25 for five

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

A question or two about that San Cristobal, how old was it? Where was it kept? What vitola? (Size and shape) Lot's of things affect a cigar, not to leave out the fact that they're hand made. Anything made by the hand of man (which includes the wo-man) is subject to flaws and variations. I like the Padron, and the San Cristobal. I buy a lot more San Cristobals.

Please do not think that this is a criticism of your taste, it's not. Just wondering, because any cigar can be a dud, even some of the best.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

@deadman said:
    Description says out of stock

Try the My Father Le Bijou or La Duane both on the fuller side, available everywhere, age great, and taste damn good.

AJ new world Cameroon; fuller bodied and only $25 for five

Thanks. I got the last one.

• Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    A question or two about that San Cristobal, how old was it? Where was it kept? What vitola? (Size and shape) Lot's of things affect a cigar, not to leave out the fact that they're hand made. Anything made by the hand of man (which includes the wo-man) is subject to flaws and variations. I like the Padron, and the San Cristobal. I buy a lot more San Cristobals.

Please do not think that this is a criticism of your taste, it's not. Just wondering, because any cigar can be a dud, even some of the best.

No clue on its age. It was kept in a humidor at a cigar shop. I smoked it the day I bought it. It was, I believe, a 5x50

• Options

@Derek said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

No clue on its age. It was kept in a humidor at a cigar shop. I smoked it the day I bought it. It was, I believe, a 5x50

Not their best size, in my opinion. I like the guajiro, 7 x 48, I think. You might try another one sometime. Or, it might just not be for you. Good luck.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@Derek said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

Not their best size, in my opinion. I like the guajiro, 7 x 48, I think. You might try another one sometime. Or, it might just not be for you. Good luck.

Thanks I'll do that

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Ashton is very mild. You may want to save that for a morning smoke. BTW, welcome to the forum @Derek

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

@ShawnOL said:
    That Ashton is very mild. You may want to save that for a morning smoke. BTW, welcome to the forum @Derek

Good to know! Heading to the gulf for some R&R next week, so I'll keep that in mind.

• Options

@Derek said:

@TX98Z28 said:

@Derek said:

@TX98Z28 said:

@Derek said:

@TX98Z28 said:

@Derek said:

@VegasFrank said:
    Welcome @derek

I'll do that tonight

Do it on the vherf with us.....

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@TX98Z28 said:

@Derek said:

@TX98Z28 said:

@Derek said:

@TX98Z28 said:

@Derek said:

@VegasFrank said:
    Welcome @derek

3 puffs in and I love this serie v

• Options

BTW, make sure you keep that humidor at least 75% full. It will keep the cigars a lot better that way.

• Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    BTW, make sure you keep that humidor at least 75% full. It will keep the cigars a lot better that way.

Working on it 😉

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice I love the Tennessee Waltz