Unbanded Cigar Contest
I would like to see if there is any interest in an unbanded contest. Here would be the rules:
- We pick the same vitola and similar wrapper to be the category ( for example robusto Maduro, or corona in “natural” vs “habano”
- Number of applicants must equal the number that you send to the host ( 5 contestants=5 cigars, 10 contestants =10 cigars). Applicants must be on good trader list.
- Send the cigars to the host of the contest with a paid RETURN LABEL.
- The host will remove labels, and place a nonspecific cigar label “ A-E”
- The host sends out the cigars ( number of cigars=number of participants) using the return labels
- We wait a few weeks for the cigars to acclimate (this would be tough for some people) and rank the cigars on a scale from 1 to 10 ( or rather 1 to 7 , this is ranking so there should not be any ties, and you can still like the cigar and have it a the bottom of the ranking if you still liked the others more)
- At end of the contest, we reveal the list, and overall ranks. Winner gets the forum fiver ( loser may get a participation award)
- Price range to be set by host ( I suggest 3-7 dollars initially)
- We will set up Vitola/wrapper/ price range, by voting , first 7 people signing up will vote
I kinda got this idea from talking to Roman about a virtual pass using return labels... which we should consider as well in the future, I think this would be a good mechanism for atleast learning more about using return labels...
If there is interest , reply to the post , I think I will have to cap this at 7... ( 49 cigars that I would have to gently remove the band) ... any larger and this will get crazy quick...
You can submit different cigars from different brands, but each cigar will be weighted individually. There is a penalty scoring for spending too much, and there will be additional little rules I am sure I will think up later to keep the honest people honest. I was thinking that we should send the host the entries in advanced to avoid people sending the same thing, but given the natural variety of responses and ranking I think it should even out.
I will host the first contest, if we get enough steam, minimum 4 entries including myself. I will include pictures of unbanding and labeling to keep me honest (picture of the back of the bands to maintain some tactful anonymity).