Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

Unbanded Cigar Contest

EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to see if there is any interest in an unbanded contest. Here would be the rules:

1. We pick the same vitola and similar wrapper to be the category ( for example robusto Maduro, or corona in “natural” vs “habano”
  2. Number of applicants must equal the number that you send to the host ( 5 contestants=5 cigars, 10 contestants =10 cigars). Applicants must be on good trader list.
  3. Send the cigars to the host of the contest with a paid RETURN LABEL.
  4. The host will remove labels, and place a nonspecific cigar label “ A-E”
  5. The host sends out the cigars ( number of cigars=number of participants) using the return labels
  6. We wait a few weeks for the cigars to acclimate (this would be tough for some people) and rank the cigars on a scale from 1 to 10 ( or rather 1 to 7 , this is ranking so there should not be any ties, and you can still like the cigar and have it a the bottom of the ranking if you still liked the others more)
  7. At end of the contest, we reveal the list, and overall ranks. Winner gets the forum fiver ( loser may get a participation award)
  8. Price range to be set by host ( I suggest 3-7 dollars initially)
  9. We will set up Vitola/wrapper/ price range, by voting , first 7 people signing up will vote

I kinda got this idea from talking to Roman about a virtual pass using return labels... which we should consider as well in the future, I think this would be a good mechanism for atleast learning more about using return labels...

If there is interest , reply to the post , I think I will have to cap this at 7... ( 49 cigars that I would have to gently remove the band) ... any larger and this will get crazy quick...

Additional info:
You can submit different cigars from different brands, but each cigar will be weighted individually. There is a penalty scoring for spending too much, and there will be additional little rules I am sure I will think up later to keep the honest people honest. I was thinking that we should send the host the entries in advanced to avoid people sending the same thing, but given the natural variety of responses and ranking I think it should even out.

I will host the first contest, if we get enough steam, minimum 4 entries including myself. I will include pictures of unbanding and labeling to keep me honest (picture of the back of the bands to maintain some tactful anonymity).

-Egoboundary

Comments

• BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

May have to review details on vherf one of these nights, but I will play

• EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

You send me 5 cigars ( if we have five people) that look similar, and I send you back 5 different cigars ( that people submitted, also that look similar). We rank them. If people like yours the most, you win a forum fiver ( courtesy of me). The rest of the rules are specifics.

Or this could deflate before it even starts... and I post 1000 comments trying to explain something that is impossible.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm confused. But then, it's been my general state lately.

What basis are the cigars ranked on, and who says the ranking is right?

If I'm the only one confused, I'm happy to wait until I see you on Vherf, Ernest. Good idea, getting more community involvement.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

The contestants who receive the cigars ( unbanded) will rank the cigars they receive from best to worst. They submit those scores to me , I put them on excel, and add up the scores ... post the scores and the winners. The people in the contest do the ranking completely subjectively. We can make the scoring however we agree if it makes more sense ( like out of 10 points for construction/ flavor/ appearance)

How is the winner chosen, if the ratings are subjective?

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

So it does not matter what the cigars are or however they are scored in the industry. If I send 5 yard gars and people rank them in the top 1 or 2 of their blind cigars, I would have a good score in the contest?

edited June 2020

@rsherman24 said:
    So it does not matter what the cigars are or however they are scored in the industry. If I send 5 yard gars and people rank them in the top 1 or 2 of their blind cigars, I would have a good score in the contest?

• That is absolutely right (people have to like them)
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a cool idea.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

probably in the wrong area of the forum, but have fun

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

@Usaf06 said:
    probably in the wrong area of the forum, but have fun

Good point , I will message the moderator to see if I can move the thread

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

This sounds interesting...

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

I think I am going to talk to you guys on the Vherf this weekend to make this contest simpler:
    1. Just submit One Size (any wrapper), only submit 4 cigars all the same, price cigar under 10 bucks, send me prepaid return labels,
    2. Number participants max at 12
    3. I send back 4 randomized cigars with generic banding (labeled A-D)
    4. Participant score the cigars out of ten( 5 pts for flavor/3 construction/ 2 appearance)
    5. Highest scoring wins forum fiver, lowest scoring wins participation price

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds fun. I'll play if there's room

Don't look ↑
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭✭✭

In, I was worried about having to smoke like 15 cigars and rank them all.

Officially starting this Unbanded Contest :
    size: ROBUSTO (or petite robusto), wrapper: ANY, number of cigars: 4 of the same
    1. 4 cigars all the same, price cigar under 10 bucks, no crazy unicorns, send me prepaid return labels, penalty for over priced sticks
    2. Number participants max at 12
    3. I send back 4 randomized cigars with generic banding (naming labels TBD)
    4. Participant score the cigars out of ten( 5 pts for flavor/3 construction/ 2 appearance), would also like you to rank cigars 1st place to 4th
    5. Highest scoring wins forum fiver, lowest scoring wins participation price

Starting today 7/3, will close on Monday night 7/6 (or morning of 7/7) or if we hit 12 participants

1. egoboundary
    2. @CalvinAndHobo
    3. @VegasFrank
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting contest.....but why ship twice?
    Wouldn’t it be easier if each contestant removes the bands, and numbers (or letters) the cigars they ship to be reviewed to a designated participant?
    Just my 0.02 cent worth.

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.

Not a bad idea, however each person would be sending 4 cigars that are the same.
    This way every participant gets 4 different cigars to try, score and rank.

How are you going to play, Ernest? Gonna have the wife help so you don't know what you're smoking?

I will be contributing cigars... and I will burn up 4 cigars, but my votes won’t count... and I can’t win my own competition ...

Hey guys , planning on changing the vitola to:

CORONA ( regular, petite, or corona gordo)

All other rules apply... I will delay the closing date till Wednesday night /Thursday.

-Ego

I'm in

If John and Calvin are in, how can I resist?

Just out of curiosity, why the change from robust to corona?

Do you want us to remove the band prior to sending it to you Ernest?

Don't look ↑

@peter4jc said:
    If John and Calvin are in, how can I resist?

Just out of curiosity, why the change from robust to corona?

I was on the vherf the other day and I got some feedback that corona might attract a little more interest, and I brought it back to the Calvin and Frank before making the change

@VegasFrank said:
    Do you want us to remove the band prior to sending it to you Ernest?

You can if you want. Send atleast a picture of the stick with the band or one liberated band with the sticks.

That might be a good idea; if we wreck the wrapper taking the band off we can try another cigar - if you wreck the wrapper taking the band off, somebody's getting a second-rate wrapper.

@peter4jc said:
    That might be a good idea; if we wreck the wrapper taking the band off we can try another cigar - if you wreck the wrapper taking the band off, somebody's getting a second-rate wrapper.

Just send extras

edited July 2020

Look at John dry begging!

Don't look ↑