Home Cigar 101
Options

Same tobacco different flavors

2»

Comments

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now you're going to have to get into juicedratic equations.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, what he said.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

@Bob_Luken obviously I was not trying to speak for 9 billion people. Lol. You are a trained professional and a 1%er.

@peter4jc I don't know if the ratio works quite like that because the first number measures inches while the second number measures fractions of inches. You also have variables between SKUs where different manufacturers will use different amounts of material for ostensibly the same size of cigar. Then throwing quality control, fractions of leaves, waste and breakage, and it's not random but it's not exact.

Gordo's just don't burn cooler. The smoke is cooler. go ahead and set your hand on the cherry of a gordo and then set it on the cherry of a lancero. Which one is hotter then? Clearly you don't believe me and I'm going to have to go find those god damn experiments.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another idea might be to take up pipe smoking.

Fill it up, if you're short on time let it go out. Return to it later, lightly brush off the top ash and re-light, just as good as when you started.

Just a thought.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    Gordo's just don't burn cooler. The smoke is cooler.

That's the wording I was looking for. Thanks.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    volume of a cylinder: π r 2 h
    ring gauge is in 64ths of an inch

Volume of a 40 x6 is:
    = π×0.31252×6
    = 0.5859375π
    = 1.8407769454628 inches3

Volume of a 60 x 4 is:
    = π×0.468752×4
    = 0.87890625π
    = 2.7611654181942 inches3

This leaves out the fill, I've put a few random cigars on a gram scale (which I use for coffee, thank you very much) and have been quite surprised to find that similarly sized cigars have very different weights. Some of them are really quite packed and others are pretty loose.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    Everybody says gordos burn cooler. I need to know why.

I would as well. I was under the assumption it’s not the heat at the foot that determines the heat at the draw. We have all had a fireball start when lighting right.....? Why is it hotter when I get combustion on a Robusto more so then a Gordo or Churchill when lighting? Not trolling serious question.

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision said:

@peter4jc said:

I would as well. I was under the assumption it’s not the heat at the foot that determines the heat at the draw. We have all had a fireball start when lighting right.....? Why is it hotter when I get combustion on a Robusto more so then a Gordo or Churchill when lighting? Not trolling serious question.

Can't see why the cherry's temp determines the smoke's temp. Easy to assume that smoke traveling farther has more to cool it down. Once your get down to the nub, it'll even burn your fingers.

Same with diameter. I'd think you don't have to hit a busto as hard as you'd a corona if you're looking for the same smoke volume.

As for pointy-ended draws, like a torpedo or a perfecto, you know what? Their pointy ends direct the smoke pile at a different portion of your mouth... perhaps that's it.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    edited July 2020

@webmost said:

Can't see why the cherry's temp determines the smoke's temp.

It doesn't ^. Original poster said "burns hotter" and I was establishing the distinction between the two.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc

• Options
    EgoBoundaryEgoBoundary Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:

Volume of a 40 x6 is:
    = π×0.31252×6
    = 0.5859375π

Volume of a 60 x 4 is:
    = π×0.468752×4
    = 0.87890625π

Maybe I am looking at this differently but air may apply to the same fluid principles of Bernoulli’s principle, it seems that speed of air flow would be faster in shorter ring gauges, but I don’t know how that would effect the heat of the cherry given that combustion varies depending on the types of leaves used...

• Options

Are you planning on adding a laval nozzle to your cigar to smoke at supersonic speed?

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EgoBoundary said:

@silvermouse said:

Volume of a 40 x6 is:
    = π×0.31252×6
    = 0.5859375π

Volume of a 60 x 4 is:
    = π×0.468752×4
    = 0.87890625π

Maybe I am looking at this differently but air may apply to the same fluid principles of Bernoulli’s principle, it seems that speed of air flow would be faster in shorter ring gauges, but I don’t know how that would effect the heat of the cherry given that combustion varies depending on the types of leaves used...

Would that apply to a cigar considering you are applying a vacuum to one end as opposed to pressure at the other

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options

@IndustMech said:

@EgoBoundary said:

@silvermouse said:

Volume of a 40 x6 is:
    = π×0.31252×6
    = 0.5859375π

Volume of a 60 x 4 is:
    = π×0.468752×4
    = 0.87890625π

Would that apply to a cigar considering you are applying a vacuum to one end as opposed to pressure at the other

Yes. That's why velocity stacks work on carburetors.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭

A decent bunch of what is being discussed here is discussed in my blending 101 thread.

https://forum.cigar.com/discussion/6023/blending-101

There is info on several pages. Don't just read the first post. Many good points made by many good members.

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does how fast you smoke have an effect?

• Options

@YankeeMan said:
    Does how fast you smoke have an effect?

I'm gonna go ahead and say "Yes".

• Options
    BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

The combustion of tobacco is equal no matter the ring gauge, since we're talking about "the cherry", and since it's a carbon based fire (carbon-hydrogen-oxygen). However, the temperature of the lit end will only vary due to the amount of tobacco surface undergoing combustion and the frequency of the draw, which will invariably create more heat due to even more tobacco being caught on fire. Therefore, as long as the cigar is resting when lit, the flow of oxygen is equal, and a lancero ought to produce very much the same heat as a toro, for example. But, if you were to draw on them faster or at varied intervals where the toro can receive more oxygen, due to having a greater surface area, it will produce more heat.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    Don't look ↑
  • Options

Couldn't take it, what was the answer they came up with.

• Options

Larger ring gages have a way hotter cherry...like 150 or 200 degrees hotter or something (70 rg vs 38).

@BKDog is right in that tobacco has a combustion point, but remember: that's the minimum temp required. Anything can combust at a higher than minimum temp. Think nuclear bomb.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

I guess I'll have to start playing with my IR thermometer on my cigar cherries now.

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

Different ratios of tobacco. Plus they never divulge every leaf used. Because of copycats.