Home General Discussion
Options

Cuba Libre - A Good Daily Smoke? Yes or No? Worth buying 20?

BullSquatchBullSquatch Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Huge fan of Flor de Oliva. Is Cuba Libre close, better or worse? Let me know your thoughts. Cheers!

"Some people meditate, I smoke cigars." - Ron Perlman
"...I intend to go home tonight and smoke a cigar to the glory of God." - Charles Spurgeon
Two Time Cigar Lottery Winner

Comments

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s all preference and taste but I personally wouldn’t. Gran Habano I think is better for the same price

• Options

Never heard of Gran Habano. I will check it out.

"...I intend to go home tonight and smoke a cigar to the glory of God." - Charles Spurgeon

• Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pysko 7 Maduro is a good budget smoke that pops up on the Daily Deal from time to time. @timb its been awhile since they’ve been up..

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

If you're into Oliva, check out the seconds when they're available. Great smoke for 2 - 3 bucks apiece. Another good budget stick is the Foundry Chillin' Moose. Surprisingly good for the price. Better than Cuba Libre or Gran Habano, to me. For the 1st couple years those GH Vintages were awesome, then, well, they weren't.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

any opinions on Maria Mancini - Magic Mountain?

• Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    If you're into Oliva, check out the seconds when they're available. Great smoke for 2 - 3 bucks apiece. Another good budget stick is the Foundry Chillin' Moose. Surprisingly good for the price. Better than Cuba Libre or Gran Habano, to me. For the 1st couple years those GH Vintages were awesome, then, well, they weren't.

GH went south? That sucks.

• Options
    Oyam123Oyam123 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

• Options
    edited July 2020

@Patrickbrick said:
    DPG Blue (original) can be found cheap all the time.

PM me the link to find DPG at Cuba Libre Prices. $30-$40 bucks for 20 DPG now I’ll take that!

I guess I’m perplexed. Are we recommending budget cigars? I guess his original question of would a budget cigar compare to a budget cigar has thrown me way off. I would say those DPG are really good but get your hands on some Padron 2000s. You might even be able to scoop some up for around the same price....heck even less then those DPG Blue.... Who would have thought...... DPG and Padron 2000 budget sticks!

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have to watch for them, but I paid 3.50 or 4 each the last bundle I got. Also I guess "budget" cigar is relative, good luck on the endeavor.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options

@Usaf06 said:

@BullSquatch said:

Shìt

Why do you say that?

• Options

@Patrickbrick said:

@BullSquatch said:
    Never heard of Gran Habano. I will check it out.

I'm going to apologize to your tastebuds in advance if you do. I recommend trying everything and anything (cigar wise and within reason) just don't buy many and don't pay retail.

Damn. That bad, huh. Thanks for the info.

• Options

@Vision said:

@Patrickbrick said:
    DPG Blue (original) can be found cheap all the time.

PM me the link to find DPG at Cuba Libre Prices. $30-$40 bucks for 20 DPG now I’ll take that!

I guess I’m perplexed. Are we recommending budget cigars? I guess his original question of would a budget cigar compare to a budget cigar has thrown me way off. I would say those DPG are really good but get your hands on some Padron 2000s. You might even be able to scoop some up for around the same price....heck even less then those DPG Blue.... Who would have thought...... DPG and Padron 2000 budget sticks!

My brother, LOL. You got me laughing! Yes, the original conquest here is to find a daily smoke that doesn't break my wallet. Flor de Oliva is the best thing I have found so far for daily around that $3-4 range.

• Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

You might also try the La Paulina Nicaragua Oscuro

One of my favorite budget sticks

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options

@IndustMech said:
    You might also try the La Paulina Nicaragua Oscuro

One of my favorite budget sticks

Never heard of it, will add it to my list for sure. Thanks for that!

• Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:

have a link?

• Options

@Usaf06 said:

@BullSquatch said:

Shìt

Plus, the reviews are rather high for it as well. I might buy a single just to try.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

@BullSquatch said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

have a link?

It's at the top of the page, "List of Brands". Go to Oliva Cigars, look for the 2nds. This time of year they're mostly gone, but watch for when they come in. You kind of have to decode the name, but you're getting "G's" , "O's", "V's", unbanded at budget prices. There will be some slight flaw, often I can't find it.

Just checked, they're all gone right now. There were still some a couple weeks ago. Usually seem to come in Sep/Oct.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@BullSquatch said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

have a link?

It's at the top of the page, "List of Brands". Go to Oliva Cigars, look for the 2nds. This time of year they're mostly gone, but watch for when they come in. You kind of have to decode the name, but you're getting "G's" , "O's", "V's", unbanded at budget prices. There will be some slight flaw, often I can't find it.

Just checked, they're all gone right now. There were still some a couple weeks ago. Usually seem to come in Sep/Oct.

Thanks for the info. Adding them to my list!

• Options

@genareddog said:

@BullSquatch said:

@Usaf06 said:

@BullSquatch said:

Shìt

Why do you say that?

@BullSquatch , Nick is just a grumpy young man. But he does have some good advice.

LOL. Fair enough.

• Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gan Habano's were once thought of as a good budget stick. In years gone by I have bought a few from B&M's on vacation. Not outstanding, but OK. One of our great forum members bought a bunch of them when he was starting out and immediately said these are bad. In a private message I was offered them if I wouldn't tell anyone where they came from. Of course I accepted, I thought I have smoked these before, they are not that bad. Well. let's just say, yes I smoke everyone, Yes I had to force my self to smoke the last 10. Never plan on smoking another one ever. Taste is not as good as I remembered, construction was awful. I would encourage checking out Cigarbid a great auction site by Ci/Ccom you can pick up great sticks at budget prices. Welcome to the madness of trying to find the perfect budget stick.

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options

@TNBigfoot68 said:
    Gan Habano's were once thought of as a good budget stick. In years gone by I have bought a few from B&M's on vacation. Not outstanding, but OK. One of our great forum members bought a bunch of them when he was starting out and immediately said these are bad. In a private message I was offered them if I wouldn't tell anyone where they came from. Of course I accepted, I thought I have smoked these before, they are not that bad. Well. let's just say, yes I smoke everyone, Yes I had to force my self to smoke the last 10. Never plan on smoking another one ever. Taste is not as good as I remembered, construction was awful. I would encourage checking out Cigarbid a great auction site by Ci/Ccom you can pick up great sticks at budget prices. Welcome to the madness of trying to find the perfect budget stick.

Thanks for the response and insights on them. I honestly am fine with Flor de Oliva's as my daily. I just bought 20 yesterday from CI for $2.34 a stick including taxes and shipping. I like them a lot, but I am always searching to add more to that daily bucket. Cheers!

• Options

@IndustMech said:

@Usaf06 said:

@BullSquatch said:

Shìt

Nick just yawned

or literally ****. LOL