Home General Discussion
Options

Tell me about Davidoff cigars

I noticed that they cost around $18 a stick or so. What do you think? Overhyped? Anyone on board ever smoked one? Defiinitely a special occasion smoke unless you're a millionaire
If you have smoked one tell what you think.

Comments

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a broad range of prices...

If we said we liked the $18 version will you buy them? Are you 'asking for a friend'?

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that like asking a Ferrari owner what he thinks of Ferrari’s?

I think they are great cigars even at $18+ dollars. I also think there are great cigars under $18+ dollars. Everyone should try a couple releases of Davidoff..... I personally like the Winston Churchill Robusto. Would I spend that regularly probably not.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are good smokes, if you don’t want the price tag then Avo is their next line down and they can be had cheap if you know where to look.

• Options
    NickermanNickerman Posts: 37

@peter4jc said:
    There's a broad range of prices...

If we said we liked the $18 version will you buy them? Are you 'asking for a friend'?

No for me
    Don't know if I would buy one

• Options

@Vision said:

I think they are great cigars even at $18+ dollars. I also think there are great cigars under $18+ dollars. Everyone should try a couple releases of Davidoff..... I personally like the Winston Churchill Robusto. Would I spend that regularly probably not.

What did you like about the Robusto? How does it compare to a less expensive cigar?

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^just remember you're asking a very very subjective question to someone with a palate that varies wildly from yours, who also (like many of us) struggles to associate words with our smoking experiences.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    edited August 2020

@Nickerman said:

@Vision said:

What did you like about the Robusto? How does it compare to a less expensive cigar?

I personally think they are mellow throughout but still flavorful. I don’t think they are overly complex cigars but that’s my unrefined palate. I enjoy shorter smokes and small ring gauge cigars the most (Corona Robusto Lancero) so that’s why I was drawn to that one..... and I had a BOSS band.

Compared to a less expensive cigar...... consistency.

Post edited by Vision on
  • Options
    edited August 2020

@peter4jc said:
    ^^^just remember you're asking a very very subjective question to someone with a palate that varies wildly from yours, who also (like many of us) struggles to associate words with our smoking experiences.

These are some of the flavors I pick up in cigars and the terms I usually use.

Tobacco.....

All joking aside.... Peter is right. I’ve been smoking for a while now and I pick up very few flavors that I can discern. I’m usually pumped if a cigar doesn’t taste like chemicals.

• Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great cigars! They are often under appreciated in the age of spice bombs and uber potent firecrackers but Davidoff does flavor and balance very well. Full bodied doesn't mean full flavored. Davidoff cigars are all about flavor and its tough to accomplish when you can't hide behind strength. Even their mild blends are super creamy and flavorful. Never had a bad Davidoff. Ever. I only wish they weren't targeted at only the higher income folks and/or special occasion crowds. They make a fine product but their price points, though justified by quality, are simply out of reach for regular/frequent consumption. It would be nice if they had some regular lines like Padron so that average folks can consume them with regularity.

• Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a refined palette either but some Davidoffs I've had have been amazing. Not a big fan of their connecticuts for the price. I prefer their stronger offerings. The Millennium is probably my favorite of their regular releases. Patrick has given me several over the years and the 2016(iirc) Art Edition was one of the best cigars I've smoked. The Especiales 7 that he sent me that I'm smoking right now is outstanding. Well worth what I didn't pay for it.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd save them for when you've developed a bit of a cigar palate, they may be too subtle when you're first starting out. I know a lot of new smokers start with the strong, bold cigars, but Davidoff is the other end, subtle but complex.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mGFeOwjfbs
    I wouldn't proclaim them to be the pinnacle of the cigar world, but their quality is exceptional. Much of what we may receive from a cigar is subjective, as personal tastes and preferences vary, and as far as quality goes, Davidoff is up there with the best. The company has a long history, from previously being the only foreign cigar distributor with a factory in Cuba at one time, to being purchased by Oettinger in 1970, and their iconic Winston Churchill line. If you're talking about interest in the $500 Oro cigar, I wouldn't even bother, personally. But, it's all up to you.
    As far as my opinion goes, there are many boutique and small batch cigars out there that are not Davidoff and that's where you will find a greater medley of experience and reward. You would have to decide to try a few Davidoff cigars and see how it goes for you. The AVO cigars are more budget friendly and also quite enjoyable.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

With very few exceptions, there are almost no $18 cigars that are twice as good as the best $9 cigar you can buy. I'll say a few exceptions instead of no exceptions to leave myself an out, but I don't think that there are any exceptions. So you're not getting value at that price point.

I don't know why some cigars are $18 cigars instead of $9 cigars. I don't think that they're using tobacco that costs twice the price, and I don't think that they are rolling them twice as slowly as you would roll a $9 cigar. I think some of it is reputation And some of it is how much the tobacco's aged. Aging takes warehouse space which increases cost. of course there are exceptions to these two rules also. Some tobacco does cost more money per bail. Some rollers are paid more to roll because they are better than the typical roller. However, I think that by and large, $18 cigars are $18 cigars because of aging and reputation.

Some cigars are super expensive based completely on a perceived reputation. That cohiba spectre cigar is a hundred bucks and I wouldn't pay $100 for a fiver of them. In fact, all Dominican cohibos are overpriced in my opinion. It's not just limited to mass-produced crap though. Steve Saka has $100 unicorn and I bet it's not as good as the 8 dollar triqui traca.

But that doesn't mean you should never buy an $18 cigar. That davidoff will burn true every single time. It will taste the exact same as all of its other $18 peers every single time. And I would venture to guess that most people who like davidoff's would say that although it's not twice as good as a $9 Avo, It is some percentage better than the $9 stick.

If that percentage is 20 or 30, you may not be getting a pound per pound value, but you're still having a premium experience over your regular daily smoke.

My favorite example of this is padron. The 1964 uses the same blend as the classic series. The two differences are the box press shape in the 1964 and the extra year or two of aging. They both taste really similar. The 1964 Toro like size It's about 13 bucks a stick, while the padron 3000 is more or less six and change. Why do I smoke the 1964? It's marginally better, that's why.

With the davidoff, they are mellow Dominican cigars (to me and my unsophisticated Nicaraguan palate). If that's in your wheelhouse, it's worth it to try one and have it on a nice relaxing Friday night or down by the pool at vacation.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you complaining about too many 5 page papers?

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, that is just crazy. LOL

• Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    Are you complaining about too many 5 page papers?

Why 5 pages or paragraphs, when 5 sentences or 5 words will suffice?
    My back is tweaked so curmudgeon factor is multiplied today. 🤬

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you were making $13 cigars and people are willing to pay $18, would YOU still charge $13?

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some cigar houses overseas sell Davidoff and Rocky stuff for 30 to 50 percent less than you can find here in the states.

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're not Victor Sinclairs, but they're OK. :)

• Options

@YankeeMan said:

Are you saying the Victor Sinclair's are the best cigard in the world?

• Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nickerman said:

@YankeeMan said:

Are you saying the Victor Sinclair's are the best cigard in the world?

Dude @Nickerman its humor. On the forum there are a few brands that we name drop to represent a not so good stick. Victor Sinclairs being one of them.

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!