Tell me about Davidoff cigars

2»

Comments

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@Nickerman said:

@YankeeMan said:
    They're not Victor Sinclairs, but they're OK. :)

Are you saying the Victor Sinclair's are the best cigard in the world?

He's either being facetious, or he's lost his sense of taste to Covid, or he's lost his mind. You choose.

Of course, he's a Gurkha fan, so he might be serious. As the saying goes, there's no accounting for taste.

I had a bunch of VS gifted to me last Christmas that I keep on hand for company that doesn't normally smoke. When I caught the Covid I did smoke about a dozen of 'em.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

I might be crazy (I am) but I noticed a very distinct difference in the quality and taste of the Davidoff cigars I bought and smoked in N Va and the ones I bought here. Regardless they are overpriced.

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@Nickerman said:

@YankeeMan said:

He's either being facetious, or he's lost his sense of taste to Covid, or he's lost his mind. You choose.

Of course, he's a Gurkha fan, so he might be serious. As the saying goes, there's no accounting for taste.

That's me trying to be funny. I do smoke one from time to time but they are a decent though not spectacular cigar. I've said this before, someone besides me is buying them.

• Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YankeeMan said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@Nickerman said:

@YankeeMan said:

That's me trying to be funny. I do smoke one from time to time but they are a decent though not spectacular cigar. I've said this before, someone besides me is buying them.

LOL, wet/dry cardboard is at least a flavor(s), albeit an undesirable one for most folks. A lot of the cheap bulk blends taste similar IMO. This thread reminds me of one of the all time most hated: Cremosa Cubanos! The old timers will remember those. I started cracking up just thinking about them. :smile:

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

@YankeeMan said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@Nickerman said:

@YankeeMan said:

Just being goofy myself. I have had good Gurkhas, when they're good they're really good, and at least one VS that was actually really good. I was surprised. Something I got in COTMC. Imperial? Seems like it sounded something like that, although it's been awhile and my memory is about as reliable as an AMC Gremlin. (That's an ancient car, for those too young to remember)

If the Gurkha's in general would be as good as the ones that are good, I'd buy them all the time. However, a 70% fail rate is too high for me.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    NickermanNickerman Posts: 37

@jd50ae said:
    I might be crazy (I am) but I noticed a very distinct difference in the quality and taste of the Davidoff cigars I bought and smoked in N Va and the ones I bought here. Regardless they are overpriced.

If they are over priced then what is a cheaper cigar but with equal quality to a Davidoff?

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nickerman said:

@jd50ae said:

If they are over priced then what is a cheaper cigar but with equal quality to a Davidoff?

Again. That’s like asking a Ferrari owner what’s a comparable Corvette to a Ferrari. As QC goes their might not be a comparison.

• Options
    edited August 2020

This might give you some idea the lengths Davidoff goes to:

https://youtu.be/_mGFeOwjfbs

I think the question remains, can you taste the extra time, effort, and $$$ that go into a Davidoff?

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nickerman said:

Only you can decide if they're over-priced, or if the price matches what you derive from smoking them. Some forum members think they are a great value.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

@Usaf06 said:

@Nickerman said:

@jd50ae said:

Dunbarton and Trust. Anything from Saka has great quality and the sticks are all awesome. Davidoff can't hold Sakas nuts when it comes to great cigars.

No doubt Saka is in Cooperstown as a Master Blender but I’m not sure I would lump Joya de Nicarugua’s factory in with Davidoff’s.

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

@Vision said:

@Usaf06 said:

@Nickerman said:

@jd50ae said:

Dunbarton and Trust. Anything from Saka has great quality and the sticks are all awesome. Davidoff can't hold Sakas nuts when it comes to great cigars.

No doubt Saka is in Cooperstown as a Master Blender but I’m not sure I would lump Joya de Nicarugua’s factory in with Davidoff’s.

Actually, not all are made at Joya. But I can tell you that 99.9% of saka sticks I smoke have zero issues and are a pleasurable experience when it comes to construction. Blending, well thats isn't even close. Refer to above comment. Also, Joya was cigar factory of the year in 2019 🤷‍♂️

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options

@Usaf06 said:

@Vision said:

@Usaf06 said:

@Nickerman said:

@jd50ae said:

Actually, not all are made at Joya. But I can tell you that 99.9% of saka sticks I smoke have zero issues and are a pleasurable experience when it comes to construction. Blending, well thats isn't even close. Refer to above comment

No doubt. Even the few Saka I’ve smoked have been great. My next box purchase (mi querida Firecrackers 🧨 ) is days away but overall QC you have to give it to Davidoff. The volume they put out with so few issues is amazing in and of itself.

• Options

Not a whole lot of overlap in flavor profile AFAIK between Davidoff and DTT, but I do love Saka cigars.

• Options

Two differences between saka and davidoff
    1) no saka sticks suck, most davidoff do
    2) cost. Beside sin comprimoso, they are under 10 bucks for the most part.

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

• Options
    edited August 2020

@peter4jc said:

@Nickerman said:

Only you can decide if they're over-priced, or if the price matches what you derive from smoking them. Some forum members think they are a great value.

I love me some Davidoff cigars, heck, even their cigarettes are top notch, but a great value they are not. It's pretty amazing what you can get for $3 with a little patience, research, and a dash of luck. They make a fine product but burning $20 bills isn't really a value for many, myself included. If I was in a much higher income bracket it may be different. I'd smoke Winston Churchill and Davidoff Nicaraguan cigars while watching my landscaping crew mow the lawn: aka yard gars. :smiley:

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Talking pure quality and absolute volume, perdomo is an equal, and all of their sticks cost far less than davidoff. Every perdomo stick draws absolutely perfectly and tastes exactly like every other from that line. They control every single aspect down to the gnat's ass, from picking out individual seeds under a microscope to printing bands, making cello, and building boxes. Every cigar goes through draw testing. He was the first manufacturer to freeze cigars to eliminate beetles, which adds zero value to his product and costs extra money. 30 percent of his staff is quality assurance. Everything comes out to very exacting standards.

You can say what you want about what each one tastes like and which one is better. I'm guessing that a lot of davidoff's price point comes from tobacco costs and storing the tobacco for years and operating in the Dominican republic versus Nicaragua.

Ultimately, I'll agree with Nick. For less than ten bucks a stick, nobody can touch saka. He delays blends because there is a curl in a burn or something is a hair off. Currently, he has a moratorium on new accounts because he wants to fully serve the accounts he has and is absolutely refusing to rush any of his product to market. And the argument about joya is lunacy. Every factory produces shït, "overruns," "seconds," and short fill, to include davidoff. Saka has dedicated space, tobacco, and rollers; he's just using the facility.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    NickermanNickerman Posts: 37

@Usaf06 said:

@Nickerman said:

@jd50ae said:

How would you rate Dunbarton and Trust srengthwise: mild, medium or strong?

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. TDL will kick your butt. Brûlée is mild-med. Most of the other stuff is medium or med-full.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you like the davidoff blend style, look for stuff done by Hendrick Kelner. He does a lot (or all?) of the Davidoff blends. Some of his blends are AVO, the Griffins, smoking jacket, Zino... can be much cheaper.

But they arent a Davidoff.

If you just want a really nice cigar, some of the brands others mentioned are great choices.

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options

Mr @VegasFrank . I didn’t say anything bad about Joya..... they just aren’t Davidoff.

• Options

@Nickerman said:

@Usaf06 said:

@Nickerman said:

@jd50ae said:

How would you rate Dunbarton and Trust srengthwise: mild, medium or strong?

They have em all

-- Winston Churchill

• Options
    edited August 2020

Another aspect of Davidoff blends is the chewy, velvety, ultra creamy, and viscous smoke that even the lighter blends put off. This is often unappreciated. Rich smoke adds to the enjoyment of a cigar. Not simply sheer volume, as no one enjoys thin/airy smoke, but luxurious supple smoke. It's hard to explain if you haven't experienced it but with Davidoff cigars it really shines through.

I still remember my first one. My first Davidoff and my first Padron were really eye opening for me. So much flavor in such a mild mannered cigar with luscious velvety smoke blew me away and then i finally "got it" if you will. I've also smoked some a bit too fast and been reminded that there is plenty of nicotine in there as well, even though the smoothness and richness of smoke may lull you into believing otherwise. Definitely a retrohale every puff cigar for me.