Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Interest in 2020 NFL Pick Em League?

TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey y'all trying to gauge interest in an NFL Pick Em League for this year. I know it's going to be a ****show and who knows how long the season will last, but I'm a huge NFLhead and gives us a chance to toss some sticks around.

Happy to run and come up with a contest for it. Thinking something similar to below:

• Weekly Winners and Season Champ + Season "Booby"
  • 1 Weekly Winner each week will get 5 sticks
  • 1 Weekly Loser each week send Weekly Winner 5 sticks
  • Either use Pick Em site like Yahoo or do it old school (2 pts for win, 1 for tie, 0 for loss; tiebreakers - point differential in wins minus point differential in loss)
  • Accumulated highest [Champ] and lowest wins [Booby] at the end of the regular season (whenever it ends) will get an additional 5 sticks from each player.

Who would be a part of it?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be interested in a general sense, but sending cigars every week potentially might be a heavy commitment for some on here. Plus I always win these things, so I might have scared off the competition B) .

• Options

Great @CalvinAndHobo ! My thought was only 1 person each week is sending cigars. And only 1 person each week is winning. That could change things unless everyone is scared of you like you said haha

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always played but sports have changed and I'm not keeping up.

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be interested, but you need to have a contingency plan if the season gets scrapped at some point.

• Options

Fair comments guys, I really can't stand any sort of politics in sports either, so I just do my best not to pay attention to any of that stuff. It is getting harder.

As far as contingency planning, if we were to go with weekly winners/losers and an accumulated win/loser total, that should allow us to go no matter if/when the season cancels.

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would anybody be interested in THE NFL...?????????

• Options

Bump

• Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭

Did this years ago on here for several seasons and was always fun. I'm totally in, just hope we can get more.

All the "I dont do sports/flag respect" crowd were never real fans to start with, so they couldnt have been counted on anyway.

• Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vulchor said:
    Did this years ago on here for several seasons and was always fun. I'm totally in, just hope we can get more.

All the "I dont do sports/flag respect" crowd were never real fans to start with, so they couldnt have been counted on anyway.

Couldn’t disagree with you more. The nfl used to mean a great deal to me. It used to be a real sport. An organization like this that does disrespect the flag, country and our police forces has no place in our country.

• Options

Right on!!! Freedom by restriction brother!!! I'm sure the league was very dear to you lol.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

As a veteran and someone who has the flag that his buddy died with, I'll tell you that I don't think Colin Kaepernick disrespected the flag, the military, or the country. He's silently and peacefully demonstrated fore a cause that he believed in without breaking windows or burning down buildings. I served two decades so he could have that right. Although it is something that I wouldn't do and although I think that his message was ineffective because it was so widely misconstrued, I fully support his right to demonstrate as he did because he did so the right way. He was peaceful, respectful, and didn't disrupt anyone else's enjoyment of the anthem.

I also give him mad props for sacrificing his own career for a cause that he believed in. He literally put his money where his mouth was.

Taking more pragmatic approach, I'm not going to let politics sully my enjoyment of something that I like to watch. If I do, then the noise makers in Washington and the media win, while I lose.

Besides, it's not like any of us got up off the couch took our caps off, and put our hand over our heart when that anthem played on the TV broadcast.

I wasn't going to play, but I will now to show support for peaceful demonstrations that try to affect positive change, even when they don't work. Count me in.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

Well looks like we got some more folks.

1: The Kraken
    2: CalvinandHobo
    3: rsherman24
    4: Vulchor
    5: VegasFrank

Everyone good with essentially operating as a weekly contest where the weekly loser sends the weekly winner 5 cigars? Then we have a season winner and loser that each get 5 sticks per player whenever the season ends.

Not sure it's worth doing this format unless we can get at least 8. If we end up having less than 8, I can come up with something else.

• Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also have no problem with the kneeling during our national anthem, and I do stand and put my hand over my heart when it plays.

• Options

C'mon folks. I know this forum is more dead than it used to be, but 5?!

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

@Vulchor said:

Yeah, you've really let the NFL games go to pot, @Vulchor.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

@Yakster said:

@Vulchor said:

Have I?

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vulchor said:

@Yakster said:

@Vulchor said:

Have I?

No, @Vulchor, it's not you, it's me.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

@Yakster said:

@Vulchor said:

@Yakster said:

@Vulchor said:

Have I?

No, @Vulchor, it's not you, it's me.

Wonder how so

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Knowing @Yakster as I do, I'm pretty sure his original comment was tongue-in-cheek and he was ribbing you @Vulchor.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

@peter4jc said:
    Knowing @Yakster as I do, I'm pretty sure his original comment was tongue-in-cheek and he was ribbing you @Vulchor.

I'm aware it was sarcasm.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm aware that everyone is aware of what they're aware of.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

Bump. The over-compensated, inexplicably entitled, plastic padded warriors are awaiting.

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been in a big league fantasy football league for 6 years. Even a past champion. We had our draft last Sunday and Thursday night we cancelled. This was the last straw.

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

• Options

Forgot to add, fùck the nfl, nba, mlb, and any other woke athlete. If you want to make a change, quit your million dollar job and become the change you seek. Every agency is hiring.

-- Winston Churchill

• Options

Wow, didn't see that, but I'm with you @Usaf06 ! Can't stand to hear athletes complain about wanting their league to do more. Your league literally made all of you millionaires with more money than most people will ever see in their lives, so do something with it.

Still, I love football. Going to take more than a bunch of idiot millionaires to ruin it for me...hopefully. They're trying hard though