Home General Discussion

Humidors: wood vs acrylic

So I tried a wood humidor for quite a while and damned if I had any luck. Tried boveda seasoning packs, higher level packs and plenty of other methods and it just would not stay above 63. Recently got an acrylic and wouldn't you know it, bad boy stays exactly at what the boveda packs state they are. I've been converted for sure. Could have been a crappy humidor company I got the wood one from but it just seems like a no brainier. Curious of thoughts on this.

No seasoning, no tweaking, no nothing. Now I'm not constantly trying to figure out why my cigars sometimes taste different. Not nearly as dramatic of a difference day to day.

Comments

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's probably why coolers are so popular on the forums. Glad you found the stability you were looking for.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep all of my humidors between 61 and 65. 63 all day long.

Don't look ↑
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would bet crap seal on the wood humidor. How much does an acrylic run vs wood? I wonder if a cheap acrylic is better than a cheap wood humidor. Easier to mold plastic w a good seal than build a budget wood humi?

Absolutely no problem with plastic!

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

Sterilite Gasket Box for box storage. @Trident recommendation

Rubbermaid Brilliance for cigar storage.
    @VegasFrank recommendation

I personally use both and both are super affordable

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Shaner9erShaner9er Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

it seems these days that acrylic or coolers are truly the best routes way easier to maintain but even with that said something about a traditional wood humidor appeals to me more I personally like the setup process of seasoning and getting everything just right before I load in my cigars.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wooden humidors fill up too quickly.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only use plastic. Had a bunch of wooden humidors in my early days, some regular types, towers, some really expensive (many hundreds) burlwoood inlay super thick and heavy and they all were a pain to maintain. Once I tried weathertight plastic bins I completely switched over and never looked back. I was able to recoup some of my expenditures by selling a few of the wooden humidors but it was an overall painfully expensive lesson. Could've bought many boxes of Cubans or some high end non Cubans. It's good you figured it out early...lol. Coolers also work just as well. Bovedas and plastic gasket bins/coolers is as easy as it gets. It's a "set it and forget it" nearly maintenance free.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know someone who kept their wood humidor in a cooler. Worked great.

Maybe someone sells a large enough acrylic humidor that could fit a beautiful wood humidor inside so that you still see it. I foolishly sold off my beautiful wood humidor years ago and keep my dog rockets and yard gars in my 5 Vegas wood humidor, everything else in a plastic weatherproof crate or winedor or tuppordor.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

There must be some sort of poly wood sealant that could be applied to the inside of a fancy-boy wood humidor that wouldn't release odor once it's cured. Then you only have to ensure that the lid seals well.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

Or just put a nice wood veneer on a an acrylic humidor or cooler.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

A neighbor of mine, back in the hippie daze, covered his car with brick-pattern contac paper.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

@Yakster said:
    I know someone who still keeps both of their wood humidors in a cooler. Works great.

FIFY

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob_Luken said:

@Yakster said:
    I know someone who still keeps both of their wood humidors in a cooler. Works great.

FIFY

I too have that setup, truly works great.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    edited September 2020

@peter4jc said:
    There must be some sort of poly wood sealant that could be applied to the inside of a fancy-boy wood humidor that wouldn't release odor once it's cured. Then you only have to ensure that the lid seals well.

Food grade silicone caulk usually does the trick, And you can apply a thin bead around the lid seal to pretty much do the same thing as a cooler. but what's the fun in that?

And I simply don't understand why so many people have problems with so many humidors. I have two wooden beasts. They are both set and forget it. I actually probably screw more with my wineador than with my tower.

Don't look ↑
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

You screw with the wineador because your wife doesn’t want anything to do with you. 🤣

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
    edited September 2020

You have so many moist phallic cigars around because I don't want anything to do with you!

Don't look ↑

And that's why they're all gordos! ;)

Don't look ↑
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:

That's actually a great idea, not sure why I never thought of that. Spray the inside to seal the wood and you essentially have a fancy plastic wooden box! Brilliant. Toss some Spanish cedar sheets on the bottom and it's a great way to still use what you already paid for or to keep it a nice display piece that is nearly maintenance free.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:

@peter4jc said:

Food grade silicone caulk usually does the trick, And you can apply a thin bead around the lid seal to pretty much do the same thing as a cooler. but what's the fun in that?

And I simply don't understand why so many people have problems with so many humidors. I have two wooden beasts. They are both set and forget it. I actually probably screw more with my wineador than with my tower.

It should be a sealant that could be applied to the entire interior to keep moisture from migrating through the wood itself, not only the joints and seams or the seal.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

Well that's just ridiculous. If you're going to use wood, why wouldn't you take the benefits of wood? You guys realized that really old "humidors" were just metal boxes with wood glued to the outside, right? Just do like Edward said and get some contact paper for your cooler.

But....for those of you who are interested, there is a food grade silicone spray, complete with aerosol can:

https://www.scheels.com/p/lem-food-grade-silicone-spray/73449400213.html

We once had an engineer who designed an aluminum box that looked exactly like a cardboard one, complete with flaps and a corrugated looking structure to it. No shït. Would have cost about $6k to manufacture before we put a stop to it.

Don't look ↑
  • Shaner9erShaner9er Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    Well that's just ridiculous. If you're going to use wood, why wouldn't you take the benefits of wood? You guys realized that really old "humidors" were just metal boxes with wood glued to the outside, right? Just do like Edward said and get some contact paper for your cooler.

But....for those of you who are interested, there is a food grade silicone spray, complete with aerosol can:

https://www.scheels.com/p/lem-food-grade-silicone-spray/73449400213.html

We once had an engineer who designed an aluminum box that looked exactly like a cardboard one, complete with flaps and a corrugated looking structure to it. No shït. Would have cost about $6k to manufacture before we put a stop to it.

i feel like.. it should still be made...

Sounds like something Andy Worhol would do.

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is, its the same thing @0patience used for his kitchen counter tops.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:

@VegasFrank said:

@peter4jc said:

It should be a sealant that could be applied to the entire interior to keep moisture from migrating through the wood itself, not only the joints and seams or the seal.

Why not apply the sealant to the exterior and a bead of silicon on the lid?

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:

Is that Clark Griswold's non-nutritive cereal varnish?

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gray4lines said:

@VegasFrank said:

Is that Clark Griswold's non-nutritive cereal varnish?

It’s semi-permeable, not osmotic. The milk can’t penetrate the cereal.

• CSRUSSO9CSRUSSO9 Posts: 1

I have a few Wooden Humidors and thinking of switching to some of the new acrylic humidors using the Boveda packets. With that said, I do understand that the Acrylic hold a more constant humidity level, but I heard that only the Cedar Lined Humidors allow the cigars to age where Acrylic does not. Is it advisable to let them first age in the Cedar Lined Humi and then store them in acrylic?