Home Ratings & Reviews

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned here yet. Cuban Cigars are illegal again to bring into the US

miller65rodmiller65rod MidwestPosts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cigar Aficionado has not updated its FAQ on travel to Cuba since November 2017. A lot has changed in the last three years, and none of it good for U.S. citizens wanting to visit Cuba. The most recent Trump Administration rules, announced October 13, rolled back a key element of legal travel to Cuba that affects Cigar Aficionado’s U.S. readers as much as any other—no more purchases of Cuban cigars and rum to bring home, from wherever you in the world. Here are the most up-to-date answers based on the U.S. Treasury Department’s page explaining Cuba Sanctions.

I’m an American citizen. Can I still buy Cuban cigars and rum?

Yes. Americans can still buy Cuban cigars and rum for personal consumption when traveling in Cuba or any country where Cuban cigars are sold. They are no longer allowed, however, to bring those purchases back to the United States. They are also prohibited from importing them by any method into the United States.

Can I still bring Cuban cigars and rum back to the U.S.?

No. A traveler can purchase Cuban cigars and rum while outside the United States, but no Cuban alcohol or tobacco product may be brought back to, or imported into, the United States. Other Cuban products may be included in accompanied baggage but only as items for personal use such as gifts. Those products may not be sold.

So i have to wonder how close customs will be inspecting especially with the Holidays coming up.

Buyer beware.

Free Cuba
"I ain't got no Opus's"
LLA
- Lancero Lovers of America
2016 Gang War (South)
May I assss u a ?

Comments

• ShawnOLShawnOL The People's Communist Republic of MassachusettsPosts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

So the ban is only on alcohol and tobacco? It's only targeting some things and not others. If you're going to ban Cuban products, ban them all.

• jlmartajlmarta 50 miles from ParadisePosts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@miller65rod said:
    Cigar Aficionado has not updated its FAQ on travel to Cuba since November 2017. A lot has changed in the last three years, and none of it good for U.S. citizens wanting to visit Cuba. The most recent Trump Administration rules, announced October 13, rolled back a key element of legal travel to Cuba that affects Cigar Aficionado’s U.S. readers as much as any other—no more purchases of Cuban cigars and rum to bring home, from wherever you in the world. Here are the most up-to-date answers based on the U.S. Treasury Department’s page explaining Cuba Sanctions.

I’m an American citizen. Can I still buy Cuban cigars and rum?

Yes. Americans can still buy Cuban cigars and rum for personal consumption when traveling in Cuba or any country where Cuban cigars are sold. They are no longer allowed, however, to bring those purchases back to the United States. They are also prohibited from importing them by any method into the United States.

Can I still bring Cuban cigars and rum back to the U.S.?

No. A traveler can purchase Cuban cigars and rum while outside the United States, but no Cuban alcohol or tobacco product may be brought back to, or imported into, the United States. Other Cuban products may be included in accompanied baggage but only as items for personal use such as gifts. Those products may not be sold.

So i have to wonder how close customs will be inspecting especially with the Holidays coming up.

Buyer beware.

Bringing them into the country is one thing, but what about sticks that were brought in while it was still legal? Or those that were perhaps on hand in this country prior to that?

Is it now illegal to possess them or only illegal to bring them in?

• miller65rodmiller65rod MidwestPosts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

@jlmarta

Is it now illegal to possess them or only illegal to bring them in?

No ....it is only illegal to sell them in the US

You can smoke them all u want as well and possess any limit. You can still gift them as well.

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• ShawnOLShawnOL The People's Communist Republic of MassachusettsPosts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't bring in or import in any way.

• VisionVision Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

No Cuban tobacco no Cuban rum. For now.

• PapaJackPapaJack Posts: 2

Has anyone tried mail order from Hong Kong or Switzerland?

• deadmandeadman Midland, NCPosts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that would just be illegal

• IndustMechIndustMech ChicagolandPosts: 4,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exceeding the speed limit is illegal.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• YaksterYakster Lead Necroposter and vHerf wardenPosts: 21,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

Web searches are illegal.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • deadmandeadman Midland, NCPosts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    Web searches are illegal.

Web searches are legal they just get reported to the government

• webmostwebmost Dull-AwarePosts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021

Illegal?
    That ought to do it.
    Glad that's settled.

Damn commies.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Do you mean the ones in Cuba or the ones in DC?

• TX98Z28TX98Z28 TexasPosts: 2,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spoke with my neighbor yesterday, he's partial to cubans. He said he cannot get anything in from Cuba or anywhere that sells them shipped into the US.

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Milwaukee, WIPosts: 12,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TX98Z28 said:
    Spoke with my neighbor yesterday, he's partial to cubans. He said he cannot get anything in from Cuba or anywhere that sells them shipped into the US.

He probably thought you were dry-begging for a Cuban.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

@peter4jc said:

@TX98Z28 said:

He probably thought you were dry-begging for a Cuban.

I've done it before :D , after he gave me 2 Cuaba Salomones for my birthday years ago, I was hooked!!!

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.

The spending never stopped since then :D