Home General Discussion

Price of Cigars

First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

It may be just me but have any noticed that the price of cigars has changed in the past year or two? Seems like $6 cigars now cost $8 and $10 cigars are now $12 and so on.

Comments

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

Haven't been smoking that long but I did read a couple of days ago, some state raised taxes on cigars to 139%. It seems to be becoming common, FDA didn't run against cigars, so raise the tax, just like they did on cigarettes.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

The average price on a 20ct "megasampler" at ccom and ci has gone from $60-70 to $70-80. Apparently, those particular cigars have somehow gotten better.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision said:

Also..... Taxes.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@Vision said:

. Taxes.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

I think it's ....... Taxes

Or, is it ......Tax's

Tax

es

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Taxes

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

How does it compare to the price of groceries? Seems grocery prices are increasing too.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure the government claimed close to 0 inflation over the last year, maybe 1-2 percent.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@d_blades said:
    Haven't been smoking that long but I did read a couple of days ago, some state raised taxes on cigars to 139%. It seems to be becoming common, FDA didn't run against cigars, so raise the tax, just like they did on cigarettes.

That I believe was New York again.

• CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

Personally, I feel that cigars are cheaper than ever before. I remember when any good cigar was on sale for $80 a box (the "new 20 count boxes" mind you, not the real 25 count boxes) it would cause a frenzy. There are so many deals these days that it simply blows my mind what a savvy shopper can snag cigars for. Between discount sites, coupon codes, and promotions, it's a buyers market to be sure.

Sure, some of the very top end stuff that has price restrictions remains in the upper pricing sphere, along with all the newfangled specialty stuff that is marketed at a small niche market that is willing to pay a premium to be at the front of the line or have a limited type product but the real winner is the everyday cigar smokers. The value for the dollar is rediculously good right now. Best I've ever seen it in fact.

If you're not picking up deals right now than you aren't looking in the right places. Cigar smokers have many more choices for procurement than we did even a decade ago. I suspect this period may actually end up being part of "the Golden Years" of cigars with the way legislation is constantly being fended off. Not to mention that production costs, taxation, transportation, and legislation will continue to put pressure on pricing.

The music will stop if they eventually ban online cigar purchases. Only high price special occasion cigars for $15-$20 a pop at your local B&M. It'll be like the good old days of cheap surplus guns/ammo or cheap cigarettes; a distant memory that will have us all eventually saying "I remember when cigars were readily available and cheap, you could order them to your front door. etc, etc, etc". I've been getting while the getting is good and it's been very good IMO 👍. The real question is how long will it remain so?

• ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

A good reason to hoard more and more now before the prices up up even more....Well at least that's how I help justify buying more to myself.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Roll your own.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:
    The average price on a 20ct "megasampler" at ccom and ci has gone from $60-70 to $70-80. Apparently, those particular cigars have somehow gotten better.

https://www.cigar.com/shop/?q=the+combatant+collection

70 bucks. Doesn't suck.

Don't look ↑
  • PeachesPeaches Posts: 14 ✭✭

Doc:s right. Want to spend money, take up trap and skeet shooting.

• MrShrekMrShrek Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed this when I went to my local B&M. Sticks that I have enjoyed for years at the $8 mark are now $10. I attributed it more to them trying to make up for lost profits during these trying times.

I doubt that the manufacturers or retailers are getting any more $, probably all just taxes.

Even the auction sites have gone up starting bid.

• CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision said:

I've noticed it even at some of the discount sites. Since the new year, many 10 packs and 20 count bundles have gone up about $10 and a lot of fivers by $5. Also noticing a lot of stuff is on backorder. Maybe that has something to do with it?

@CAcigarguy007 said:

@Vision said:

I've noticed it even at some of the discount sites. Since the new year, many 10 packs and 20 count bundles have gone up about $10 and a lot of fivers by $5. Also noticing a lot of stuff is on backorder. Maybe that has something to do with it?

What was a kick in the teeth for me is that most online retailers had benchmark years and are still going up on cigars that the Manufacturer said they are not raising prices

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

here ya go, gee, it is hard to resist this deal, lol

Victor Sinclair Party Bag Sampler | 20 cigars + 4 drink koozies | now $49.99

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. That's four koozies. Such a deal.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

@ShawnOL said:
    No. That's four koozies. Such a deal.

😳 I didn’t notice that. Yes good deal for 4 koozies. Now.... what to do with the cigars??

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    here ya go, gee, it is hard to resist this deal, lol

Victor Sinclair Party Bag Sampler | 20 cigars + 4 drink koozies | now $49.99

Hey, I met the guy who claims Victor Sinclairs are the best.
    Brought me some to try.

I don't remember his name...
    and that's no accident.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was gifted a 20 count sampler of VSs Christmas of 2019. They do come in handy for when I have non-smoking company who wants to join in.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...