Home General Discussion
Options

Price of Cigars

2»

Comments

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wylaff said:
    I was gifted a 20 count sampler of VSs Christmas of 2019. They do come in handy for when I have non-smoking company who wants to join in.

At least it keeps them from wanting to try your good stuff.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of them appreciate that they won't choke if they accidentally inhale them...

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

@Vision said:

@ShawnOL said:
    No. That's four koozies. Such a deal.

😳 I didn’t notice that. Yes good deal for 4 koozies. Now.... what to do with the cigars??

Send them to Frank, he loves some Victor Sinclair

• Options
    MrShrekMrShrek Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webmost said:

@silvermouse said:
    here ya go, gee, it is hard to resist this deal, lol

Victor Sinclair Party Bag Sampler | 20 cigars + 4 drink koozies | now $49.99

Hey, I met the guy who claims Victor Sinclairs are the best.
    Brought me some to try.

I don't remember his name...
    and that's no accident.

Must have been @VegasFrank ....

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wylaff said:
    I was gifted a 20 count sampler of VSs Christmas of 2019. They do come in handy for when I have non-smoking company who wants to join in.

A good way to rob yourself of future gar-smoking companions.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone who has even the slightest chance of become a cigar smoker will not get a VS.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started out with a VS sampler. While not good cigars, they were smokeable. I've had worse than VS. Free Cuba and Don Rafael fumas come to mind.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

I told you all someone was buying them!

• Options
    Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Due to an increase demand in premium cigars and strained global supply chain, Oliva must enact a modest 2-3% increase on its products to offset the higher costs of tobacco and other materials.”

Oliva also said that it would continue to support efforts to fight regulations from the U.S. Food & Drug Administration.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's just the way it is... across the board. Everything gets more expensive; we shouldn't be surprised by it. Nobody likes price-gougers but things just go up in price. Smoking cigars is one of those hobbies that if price is a concern you ought not to be in it, or at the least, take @CAcigarguy007's advice and hunt for the bargains.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

I pretty much knew going in, I wouldn't be able to smoke a lot of "high dollar" cigars. So I started out looking for things that fit into my budget, but also get a decent price and reasonably good flavors. Hasn't been a problem for my tastes, staying in budget and getting a few great to me smokes. If my only option was B&M prices, I'd smoke way fewer.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Firewood is the fuel which warms you twice... Once when you split and stack it, and again when you burn it. Tobacco is like that when you roll your own. You enjoy the aroma and experience when you craft your gar, and again when you burn it.

Doesn't cost much at all.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

I'm hoping that we'll one day see some machine rolled or machine assisted quality premium cigars. I know it's sacrilegious to many but It would keep prices down and also help with consistency. It's one reason I avoid jumping into Cuban cigars. I've experienced enough inconsistencies in non Cuban cigars and all the discussions about it being exponentially worse with Cuban producers makes me hesitant. Especially considering the higher costs.

Wine was much the same. People eschewed screw tops and boxes and now I see a lot of premium offerings with screw tops (eliminating corkage) and even some premium brands in boxes/cartons. First cold press olive oil is also a relatively useless term now that technology has changed pressing techniques to reduce heat.

This is one reason the language in the new premium cigar definitions concerns me. It may be a limiting factor in the future. At the very least, I hope some manufacturers figure out a way to draw test every cigar on a large scale so that consistency can be a selling point that they can stand behind.

If prices are going to increase then I want a consistent experience every time. Same wrapper quality, same filler quality/quantity, uniform weight, and uniform draw. Lot codes with specific components would also be nice so you can stockpile specific blends and specs you love and can be sure they will taste and burn identical.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

As much as it pains me to say, perdomo draw tests every smoke, and they're a pretty big company. If they can do it, everyone can.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perdomos are very well made, that is for sure. Some of them are pretty good. A little overpriced, but that's what I say about most cigars.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.