Home Pipes
Options

First Pipe

Comments

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:

@Stubble said:
    Y'all jump in and please correct me if I'm wrong.

You ain’t wrong as far as I know. But I do still stir mine occasionally…shows what I know lol.

The reason I say not to is I got a mouthful of ash on my next draw. Might as well licked an ashtray.

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's what happens to me too. Also, you don't have to smoke all the way to the bottom every time.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

Rubber vulcanite or ebonite stems are softer and more comfortable than acrylic stems, but if exposed to sunlight too long will oxidize and turn green. They'll also fade, especially the Cumberland stems. You can prevent this with a coating of mineral oil or Obsidian Oil.

The softy bits can be put on the stem to prevent tooth marks on the stem and make it more comfortable, but this may result in a tan line when the stem is exposed to sunlight. You should take them off and boil them occasionally too.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

"The Rules". basically, the laws of physics. To try to deny them will result in failure of some sort. But, @Stubble did a great job of putting them in easy to understand terms.

I do stir, but I am very careful not to stir too deep.

@PuertoRicoShawn , have you checked out the Pipe Tips thread? You'll find many people asked these questions before.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

I would also like to add that a good pipe is an investment and should be treated as such. A few of these guys have pipes that are upwards of a hundred years old. My oldest ones are from the fifties and sixties. If treated properly they will last for years and years. Relative to the cost of pipes, pipe cleaners are cheap and should be used often like was said earlier. There are also cheap waxes that are easily applied that will protect your investment.

• Options
    PuertoRicoShawnPuertoRicoShawn Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:
    I would also like to add that a good pipe is an investment and should be treated as such. A few of these guys have pipes that are upwards of a hundred years old. My oldest ones are from the fifties and sixties. If treated properly they will last for years and years. Relative to the cost of pipes, pipe cleaners are cheap and should be used often like was said earlier. There are also cheap waxes that are easily applied that will protect your investment.

How do you establish age?

When you’re finished changing, you’re finished. —Ben Franklin

• Options

@PuertoRicoShawn said:

@Rdp77 said:

ID cards.

• Options

@PuertoRicoShawn said:

@Rdp77 said:

Makers marks, serial numbers, the actual date stamped.
    Google is your friend.

• Options
    edited January 2023

Sorry....

Different model numbers, silver hallmarks, era emblems, era stamps, charateristics, so many things can narrow it down. There are also many unknowns, and at times you can only guesstimate an age range.

• Options

@Stubble said:
    Sorry....

No you ain’t 😂😂😂

• Options

@Rdp77 said:

@Stubble said:
    Sorry....

No you ain’t 😂😂😂

• Options

Sorry.not sorry

• Options
  • Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stubble said:

@PuertoRicoShawn said:

@Yakster said:
    Some people practice the DGT, delayed gratification technique, where they pack a bowl and give it a charring light and then leave it to enjoy later. They feel that it smokes better this way and they can prepare the bowl ahead of time. I'm not much for this method, but if I don't finish a bowl I'll just save it for later and it's usually good later.

This seems terrible to me from a cigar background lol

You're comparing a watermelon to a cherry. Both are great, just don't expect them to taste or behave the same.

See @Stubble gives you Jedi type **** when he speaks…

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options

That Orlik is good stuff

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    That Orlik is good stuff

That tin is probably 10 years old

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options

They both smell delightful. The orlik really intrigues me. Smells like cherries and pears.

• Options

How long can a pipe sit? for instance: I am at work and take a 30 min break and puff on a bowl. Could I then just let it sit several hours and come back to it on another break?

• Options
    edited February 2023

yes

I gently sweep any loose ash off the top of the tobacco and light it.

• Options

You can come back to it days later, but you don't necessarily want to make that a practice.

• Options

@Yakster said:
    You can come back to it days later, but you don't necessarily want to make that a practice.

Really? this would not negatively impact the pipe in some way? the moisture from the tobacco or the ash sitting there?

• Options

That’s why you don’t make it a habit

• Options

Does pipe tobacco get Beatles?

• Options

Good question. Never heard of it happening, but that don't mean much.

• Options
    edited February 2023

Mold is more common, but tobacco beetles like cigarettes and pipe tobacco too.

Picture not mine

• Options

Oh wow. I expected the answer to be no. So do you free your pipe tobacco?

• Options

It's rare, hasn't been a problem for me yet. The good thing about pipe tobacco is that each blend is in it's own container so any bug infestation should be limited. Bring a cigar with beetles into your humidor and it could be a disaster.

• Options

I've never seen beetles in pipe tobacco. Mold? Yes.