Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Camels on the horizon…

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

The founder of Dubai, Sheik Rashid, was asked about the future of his  country, and he replied,  "My grandfather rode a camel, my father rode a  camel,  I ride a Mercedes, my son rides a Land Rover, and my grandson is  going to ride a Land Rover…but my great-grandson is going to have  to ride a camel again. 

“Why is that, he was asked?  And his reply was,  “Hard times create strong men, strong men create easy  times. Easy times create weak men, weak men create difficult times.

Many will not understand it, but you have to raise warriors, not parasites.”

And add to that the historical reality that all great empires...the Persians, the Trojans, the  Egyptians, the Greeks, the Romans, and in later years, the British...all rose and perished within 240 years.

They were not conquered by external enemies; they rotted from within.

America has now passed that 240 year mark, and the rot is starting to be visible and is accelerating.  We are past the Mercedes and Land Rover years….the camels are on the horizon.

The greatest generation consisted of 18 year old kids storming the beaches at “Normandy.”

And now, two generations later, some 18-year-old kids want to hide in safe rooms when they hear words that hurt their feelings.

They also want free stuff from the government because they think they are entitled to it.

The "camels are on the horizon"   for sure.

Comments

• Options
    Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

The “greatest generation” you speak of used their African American soldiers as cannon fodder for the white soldiers behind them (same for every war and conflict up through Vietnam). Over two thousand years of history summed up to camels. Agree to disagree.

• Options

@Cam_91 said:
    The “greatest generation” you speak of used their African American soldiers as cannon fodder for the white soldiers behind them (same for every war and conflict up through Vietnam). Over two thousand years of history summed up to camels. Agree to disagree.

Not sure I understand your second-to-last sentence…. 👴🏻

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cam_91 said:

You're proving his point kid.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Timely post, Marty, I woke up early and was thinking very much along those same lines. The last couple of generations have been raised to believe that they should be given high paying jobs, new cars, if they were raised in a 4 bedroom house with 3 bathrooms, they should have a 4 bedroom home with 3 bathrooms. And none of these things should be things they had to work for, and heaven forbid they might not have the newest and best of fashion, they are deprived if these things aren't provided, gratis.

Their idea of moral reasoning is to find the errors of other generations and castigate the memory of the people who created the world that they take for granted, while never once considering the even greater evil that they commit themselves.

Yes, there are camels on our horizon as well.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who is this “they” that you gentlemen speak of? None of the people I know who are my age think this way. I think the internet just amplifies idiots and makes them seem more common than they really are. Besides, if what is being said is true, most of Europe will fall apart before we do.

• Options

@CalvinAndHobo said:
    Who is this “they” that you gentlemen speak of? None of the people I know who are my age think this way. I think the internet just amplifies idiots and makes them seem more common than they really are. Besides, if what is being said is true, most of Europe will fall apart before we do.

This is very true,... "I think the internet just amplifies idiots and makes them seem more common than they really are."
    I'm sorry. .... I'm such an idiot.

• Options
    edited November 2021

I can't wait for Frank to get here,..... to come to the defense of misunderstood youth and virtually smash some old geezers.
    @VegasFrank

• Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one of the very few terms that really bother me. The greatest generation. My dad says it all the time. My question is why is that generation better than any other? I totally agree that some of the kids right now need a good azz whopping but I am sure they did back then also. Just think it is very disrespectful saying this group is great and this group sucks. Different, absolutely but better? Great thread Marty, hope your doing well.

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

@Bob_Luken said:
    I can't wait for Frank to get here,..... to come to the defense of misunderstood youth and virtually smash some old geezers.
    @VegasFrank

Frank help my generation

For the record I get the idea behind the thread and don't disagree with what it's saying

• Options

I have to wonder if Cam is willing to hold himself to the same standards? Quick to believe that the generation he refers to is responsible for the world they were born into, while ignoring that this was the generation that voted for and passed the Civil Rights Act, that protested the treatment they saw their brethren in arms subjected to. That pushed forward the equality measures that this generation takes for granted, and somehow believes they deserve the credit for, despite the fact that they, yes Calvin, they were not even born yet.

As for the term they, it's too inclusive, that is true, but I use it in reference to many many young people who I know and know of. Perhaps it's easier to see when one is not in the generation being referenced. And, this they have always been with us.

So, to those who think that Cam is right, and I am a delusional old curmudgeon who loves trashing the young, let me ask this. Are you personally responsible for the pollution of the planet? Is it your fault that the polar caps are melting? Did you create the current crises the world you were born into?

More importantly, when you leave this place will you have made the advances in those areas that the WW2 generation made against racism and totalitarianism?

Judgment is easy from the air conditioned video laden armchair.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are the greatest generation because when war loomed they rose to the occasion, volunteered to fight the enemy, even celebrities and rich people. Those who didn't serve went to work to help out the war effort. An entire generation rose to the occasion and did what needed to be done.

Then came America's worst generation, the hippie generation. They either got dragged, kicking and screaming, to serve or they fled to Canada. Those who didn't have to serve protested. Their kids are even worse. The camel is already here.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    Deadstroke174Deadstroke174 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cam_91 said:

There has always been as you phrased it "cannon fodder" throughout history (not just US history) but there are many arguments that can be made as to why they are the greatest generation including the fact that they were the stepping stone to the civil rights era (and women's rights). During WW2 there were many black regiments that gained respect of the white regiments and white leaders including the (Tuskegee airman) that proved to many whites that Blacks were not inferior humans but equals. This was not only for those fighting but for the folks back home because of the worker shortage which required both women and POC to take jobs that were once held by the white man. The statement can be made that without WW2 and the greatest generation the civil rights era may not have happened or at least have been delayed by decades. Was this generation perfect, no but everything that came out of that generation is what makes them the greatest generation. **Also for the record the Greatest Generation isn't just the white men of America but includes women, black men, and other people of color. **

• Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats my disagree Shawn. I have the upmost respect for our military. I guess my problem is there is always going to be clowns that just dont get it. I believe most everyone on this forum are standup great guys. Do people have different beliefs and judgements than I do, absolutely but does that make anyone better? I would like to know the percentage of soldiers that were drafted in ww2 vs vietnam?

• Options

Without going too deep into this…. I didn’t say anything that wasn’t true. The original post is subjective, it’s opinion based. It’s vague, and not based in fact. So here’s my OPINION = my standards for a “great” generation begin with the ones who fought to take down signs that read “NO NGGERS, NO MEXICANS, NO DOGS”. Anything before that has a massive asterisk for me. Undeniable the bravery, heroism, and unity our country experienced by every citizen at home and soldier abroad, but accountable I will hold them. You can’t be the greatest if you’re riding on the coattails of fundamental inequality. I defend this country as the greatest in the world when these little shit’s want to run their mouth about fck America or fck the flag. This would be a great conversation to have in person, not in text where everything can be misconstrued. I’m a lot closer to being in agreement with y’all then you think. Simply an alternative perspective to an ambiguous post.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still waiting for Frank

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    Deadstroke174Deadstroke174 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cam_91 said:
    Without going too deep into this…. I didn’t say anything that wasn’t true. The original post is subjective, it’s opinion based. It’s vague, and not based in fact. So here’s my OPINION = my standards for a “great” generation begin with the ones who fought to take down signs that read “NO NGGERS, NO MEXICANS, NO DOGS”. Anything before that has a massive asterisk for me. Undeniable the bravery, heroism, and unity our country experienced by every citizen at home and soldier abroad, but accountable I will hold them. You can’t be the greatest if you’re riding on the coattails of fundamental inequality. I defend this country as the greatest in the world when these little shit’s want to run their mouth about fck America or fck the flag. This would be a great conversation to have in person, not in text where everything can be misconstrued. I’m a lot closer to being in agreement with y’all then you think. Simply an alternative perspective to an ambiguous post.

100% agree they weren't perfect and 100% agree that it would make for a great in person conversation. With a great cigar of course

• Options

Cam, no one is trying to rag on you .

Marty's post is one man's subjective opinion, that is very much based in fact.

Your post is also based in fact, but it's also quite slanted fact. You may not be able to see it.

I am with you all the way on your basic sentiment. I am old enough to remember White Only signs and segregated facilities. I don't remember ever seeing the signs you referred to, although they may indeed have existed, just like the No Irish Need Apply that came before them.

You're also absolutely right that these kinds of conversations are much less likely to be misunderstood in person than in this format.

With that in mind, think about re-examining Marty's original post with an attitude of trying to understand the truth of what's being said. I assure you that it meets objective standards of truth that may be somewhat obscure from your subjective viewpoint.

I hope you can find it. No one thinks any less of you for standing up for what you believe in. The view is different from farther down the road.

• Options
  • Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

@genareddog said:
    … I would like to know the percentage of soldiers that were drafted in ww2 vs vietnam?

A little google-fu turned this up: https://www.vvof.org/factsvnv.htm#:~:text=The image of those who fought in Vietnam,the 66 percent drafted in World War II.

About 33% of Vietnam vets were draftees. 66% of WW 2 vets were drafted.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

The average age of a WW II soldier was 26.
    The average age of a Vietnam soldier was 19.

• Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    I have to wonder if Cam is willing to hold himself to the same standards? Quick to believe that the generation he refers to is responsible for the world they were born into, while ignoring that this was the generation that voted for and passed the Civil Rights Act, that protested the treatment they saw their brethren in arms subjected to. That pushed forward the equality measures that this generation takes for granted, and somehow believes they deserve the credit for, despite the fact that they, yes Calvin, they were not even born yet.

As for the term they, it's too inclusive, that is true, but I use it in reference to many many young people who I know and know of. Perhaps it's easier to see when one is not in the generation being referenced. And, this they have always been with us.

So, to those who think that Cam is right, and I am a delusional old curmudgeon who loves trashing the young, let me ask this. Are you personally responsible for the pollution of the planet? Is it your fault that the polar caps are melting? Did you create the current crises the world you were born into?

More importantly, when you leave this place will you have made the advances in those areas that the WW2 generation made against racism and totalitarianism?

Judgment is easy from the air conditioned video laden armchair.

So my point here is not that "they" don't exist at all, it's just that the "theys" are not as common as it's made out to be, and "they've" always existed. Going from hippies all the way back to highwaymen robbing coaches. An entire country, Australia, was created with "theys". Like you said, this "they" have always been with us.

Granted, I don't know any people who have lived on welfare for years, since I wouldn't bother getting to know such a person. I also don't support welfare in the manner that it's used today as a policy or human right or whatever. I just think it's always been around ever since the great depression, and leeches will leech regardless of what era they're born into.

The thing for me that made me get involved with this discussion is the complaining about the fact that it's somehow my generation that's causing welfare to be abused, as opposed to politicians intentionally keeping it around. I could just as easily blame your generation for destroying the middle class by making the dollar backed by nothing in 1971.

But what's the point? Were you involved in that decision making process? Of course not, and I know you don't support that happening either. When welfare pays more than a minimum wage job, and provides health insurance, of course people are going to pick that option. The blame for it being used as prevalently as it is lies with the people who allow that to happen. That's not my generation, it's yours.

Again though, it's not as if all the people your age held a meeting and decided to do that. What is the point of me logging onto CCOM and whining about your generation as a whole? All it's going to do is antagonize you, for no reason, and you're not even directly responsible for any of it.

What I did, instead of complaining, is adapted. I'm living in an apartment instead of a house because of decisions made by "your generation", (if I wanted to phrase this the way you're phrasing it). It's not as if I enjoy being a landlord, but if the dollar is inflating at the rate that it is (3% is nonsense, nothing at the grocery store, hardware store, clothing store, car dealership, or any other store is only 3% more expensive year over year) what other choice do I have? I could log onto CCOM and complain about the unfairness of it all, but again, you yourself and people your age aren't the cause of it.

I just think your justified anger is pointed in the wrong direction.

• Options

So , we agree. Thanks for expounding on the points I was making. Or did I miss something?

• Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    So , we agree. Thanks for expounding on the points I was making. Or did I miss something?

:|

• Options

Let me explain just a little. What you mistake as my anger is more resignation, frustration, and simple observation. Marty makes a point that is unquestionably true. Cam takes offense. I try to explain, and you get upset at being included in the they that is your generation. Even though I have told you previously by PM that I don't consider you a part of that they, and that I freely admit that those theys have always existed. I can't help it if you can't let go of your feelings, but I say again that I don't see you included in that group.

On a more personal note let me tell you what's going on with me, and explain myself.

I came up to Franklin TN with Faye on the 10th for what was to be an overnight medical procedure which has turned into a nightmare. After 4 surgeries in a week, tonight she is off the ventilator and conscious. My average bedtime has been shortly before midnight and my average wake up has been 0345 for the time I have been here. I'm sorry, but I may not be myself. The ideas which seem so plain to me may not be being expressed very well right now.

I hope you can understand that. If I have somehow offended you personally, I apologize. I don't have the energy to carry on with this discussion at this time.

Good night, all. Tomorrow I have to drive back home, take care of business before returning to be at her side.

I haven't mentioned all this because I am always hesitant to announce on a public forum that I am not home.

• Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    Let me explain just a little. What you mistake as my anger is more resignation, frustration, and simple observation. Marty makes a point that is unquestionably true. Cam takes offense. I try to explain, and you get upset at being included in the they that is your generation. Even though I have told you previously by PM that I don't consider you a part of that they, and that I freely admit that those theys have always existed. I can't help it if you can't let go of your feelings, but I say again that I don't see you included in that group.

On a more personal note let me tell you what's going on with me, and explain myself.

I came up to Franklin TN with Faye on the 10th for what was to be an overnight medical procedure which has turned into a nightmare. After 4 surgeries in a week, tonight she is off the ventilator and conscious. My average bedtime has been shortly before midnight and my average wake up has been 0345 for the time I have been here. I'm sorry, but I may not be myself. The ideas which seem so plain to me may not be being expressed very well right now.

I hope you can understand that. If I have somehow offended you personally, I apologize. I don't have the energy to carry on with this discussion at this time.

Good night, all. Tomorrow I have to drive back home, take care of business before returning to be at her side.

I haven't mentioned all this because I am always hesitant to announce on a public forum that I am not home.

Prayers and best wishes to Faye for a speedy recovery and to you for being there for her. 🙏👴🏻