Home Cigar 101
Options

Tupperdor

MrPossumMrPossum Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t have a tupperdor currently, and would like to use these so I can separate, label, and stack them, anyone have any experience with them?

They’re better home and gardens air tight canisters from Walmart, I’ve used them to store food and they get a nice seal

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Listen... this will sound cold or snarky...it's not meant to be... but a lot of the things you wonder about and ask for answers on, you're just gonna have to figure it out for yourself with that thing between your own ears. There are always guidelines and schools of thought but your situation is your situation, and as much as we'd all like to help, sometimes it can't be done remotely because your world is your world. Pay attention to the variable you're dealing with, make adjustments, take notes, and learn.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Mybad, thought that’s what the forums were for, I get a lot of mixed answers when I look it up online, I’d rather just ask the guys with experience instead of suffering through trial and error, if you don’t want to answer the question you could just not, I won’t be upset if my posts don’t get any replies, I’ll eventually just do what i think I need to, just easier to bypass it all if there’s already an answer. I value the opinions of y’all here on the forums.

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrPossum said:
    Mybad, thought that’s what the forums were for, I get a lot of mixed answers when I look it up online, I’d rather just ask the guys with experience instead of suffering through trial and error, if you don’t want to answer the question you could just not, I won’t be upset if my posts don’t get any replies, I’ll eventually just do what i think I need to, just easier to bypass it all if there’s already an answer. I value the opinions of y’all here on the forums.

It just gets annoying after a while when a couple people a week come in and ask for our help only to never be heard from again once they receive that help. To answer that first sentence, answering people's questions is 100% NOT what this forum is for. It's a medium for us to share our cigar related lives with each other. What you're doing is similar to going to a public pool, finding the fastest swimmers, and asking them to teach you how to swim. Sure, maybe they're willing, but most people would find that annoying.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrPossum said:

I think you’re misunderstanding. It’s not that we don’t want to answer. Like Peter is saying, we CAN’T answer. Each situation is different. We’ve given the basics, beyond that there are variables unique to each situation. Those are what you have to figure out on your own because your, as well as everyone else’s, situation is unique. If your pops lives in the area and he isn’t having trouble I would find out what he is doing different than you and go with that.

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:

@MrPossum said:

I think you’re misunderstanding. It’s not that we don’t want to answer. Like Peter is saying, we CAN’T answer. Each situation is different. We’ve given the basics, beyond that there are variables unique to each situation. Those are what you have to figure out on your own because your, as well as everyone else’s, situation is unique. If your pops lives in the area and he isn’t having trouble I would find out what he is doing different than you and go with that.

I mean, I'll say it just for me personally and not for anyone else, I don't want to answer. I charge $25 per hour for cigar advice from people I don't know at all, it's relatively affordable.

• Options

Well the actual description for this part of the forums says “or ask our experts”, I’m not trying to rile you up, I’m just using it as described.

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

After these resent posts you are in fact riling me up enough to finally post so you need to breath, slow your roll and think before you post. You were fine just a new guy with questions but you are quickly crossing the line to irritating.

• Options

And to be clear it's not the questions it's the response that is getting to me and I'm sure some of us. Sucks if you don't like what @peter4jc said but I promise you taking that defensive tone or whatever the fūck you consider it towards a long term member and personal friend of most of us because he did his best to politely tell you to oh my God shut the fūck up is not the correct way to go about it...maybe I'm wrong but probably not

• Options

@Rdp77 said:

@MrPossum said:

• Options

I’m not the one getting defensive, I think I’ve been very reasonable, have i disrespected anyone?

• Options

I’m genuinely confused here, at what point did I “get a tone” with anyone?

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

Ok, when you first posted this thread, I thought you were joking. I've since decided that you were serious so I'll give you a serious answer.

I've got one of these containers and it does a good job of keeping prunes moist, but I'm not sure storing cigars vertically is the best idea, especially if you're having problems with wrapper's cracking. Even if you laid these on their sides you'd still could have trouble getting to your cigars without jostling them. A Brilliance Tupperware container would probably do a better job of protecting your cigars. I did once store some cigars vertically but only some dog rockets (JR Alternatives fauhibas) in a mason jar with some whisky barrel chunks as an infusion experiment because I didn't want to contaminate any of my tupperdors. The infusion failed to improve those cigars.

Do we know your dad?

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

@Yakster said:
    Ok, when you first posted this thread, I thought you were joking. I've since decided that you were serious so I'll give you a serious answer.

I've got one of these containers and it does a good job of keeping prunes moist, but I'm not sure storing cigars vertically is the best idea, especially if you're having problems with wrapper's cracking. Even if you laid these on their sides you'd still could have trouble getting to your cigars without jostling them. A Brilliance Tupperware container would probably do a better job of protecting your cigars. I did once store some cigars vertically but only some dog rockets (JR Alternatives fauhibas) in a mason jar with some whisky barrel chunks as an infusion experiment because I didn't want to contaminate any of my tupperdors. The infusion failed to improve those cigars.

I’m pretty new to cigar storage so I know my questions seem goofy, but I promise you my posts are very genuine and literal, I had seen a lot of people using air tight jars storing them vertically and figured why not just use a stackable air right container, just thought I’d see if anyone else had tried something similar before I wasted the money. Thank you for the input

• Options

🤮

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

What Yakster said.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

I might be the only one here to have experience with using one of these, back when I first started. It's an ok option. It seals very well. But as others have correctly speculated, you have to be extra careful because it's easy to loose your grip on a stick and then it drops fast to the bottom of the container easily causing damage. Or if you drop the whole container, ALL of the sticks might go slamming into the other end of the container. My advice, try it if you dare. You have been warned.

• Options

Sounds like I need to apologize for blowing up...sorry bud long day 🙄

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

The astute observer will have noticed that in my pictures of my new coolidor, there is one of these inside said coolidor. They seal alright, but they only hold around 15 smokes and I don't like that they are narrower at the bottom than at the top.

In my opinion these containers are more for folks that want to show off their cigars and try to look fancy or something. The storage space will be quite limited and you will eventually find yourself wanting for space. BUY A COOLER!

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum @MrPossum , if your questions haven't been answered adequately I would suggest you get with the forum moderator.

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

My take on all this is still a new member who is young and said "I need answers. These guys have answers" but didn't stop to think of a forum as a community of enthusiasts or a family of BOTL's, which along with a sense of entitlement or 'I deserve to have my questions answered' has kept him from treading softly as he scoped out the lay of the land and who occupied it. It's a defect that I own, that expects newbs to hang around in the shadows and observe our family and become part of it. When that doesn't happen, and a pup has a level of self-awareness that he thinks it's cool to have a sig line about live fast and eat ass, I guess it's one of my triggers.

Carry on, Mr. Possum. We'll figure this out together.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

I’m not a hang around in the shadows kind of person, I don’t feel entitled, I’m just not afraid to ask. I’m not here demanding answers, I’m here asking questions, its all about perception. It’s up to you wether you wanted answer them no matter how stupid they may seem. I have been about as active on these forums as I can since I made the account, unfortunately I haven’t had much time to really delve in as much as I’d like, outside of asking questions. I’m juggling a newborn and 90 hour work weeks on the side so I try to be as direct as possible when I ask them.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

Tldr

@MrPossum as for your containers, they look like they have a rubber seal and they will work. I don't know what kind of cigars you're going to store in those little ones. Maybe all of your extra boveda packs.

As for everybody picking on you, let it roll off Your back. These are pretty good guys they like to give shīt from time to time. You're doing just fine. You're asking questions in the question forum and that's where your questions belong. Some people would rather be a smart-ass sometimes. Myself included.

I didn't read the whole damn thing, but I did read a few. Chris is right in the sense that you could jostle your cigars if you're standing them up right. Then again, boveda makes an upright jar just for standing up your cigars. Bandoleros come in jars from the factory that stand up right. If you're going to use upright storage, don't store your naked sticks. Store the ones with cellophane and you should be okay.

You can buy a Rubbermaid brilliance like somebody else said for about seven bucks a piece at walmart. Each one of them stores about 50 smokes in my estimation, depending on size. I have eight of them completely packed. They work good.

You can get any tote that has a seal around it, or hell probably a lot of totes that don't have any seal around them depending on where you live and depending on how many you want to put in.

Harbor freight knock off pelican cases are cool. They kind of look like traveldores, have a handle for toting, and you can do whatever the hell you want with the open cell phone inside, which won't damage your smokes.

You can get a 15-count xikar travel humidor and take all the foam out to turn it into a 25 count. Those are cool and I have a couple of those.

The quality importers two count travel traveldor is a useless piece of shìt.

You can never have too many boveda packs.

It's okay to slightly depress the top row of your cigars when you're putting the lid on your plastic storage. Don't smash them like hamburger meat though.

I've also always been terrible at reading the room. I've just decided that I'm going to make people deal with me instead of trying to deal with people. #livingmylife

Cut your torpedoes. Once you've cut them, you should have a little cone that you can play with while you smoke them. You can cut them on an angle if you want to open up the draw, but I never liked this and never did it intentionally. I did it unintentionally plenty of times.

I think I covered everything.

Oh and one thing you could do ask to not hurt the feet of your cigars if you store them up right is to put a little bit of open cell phone in the bottom of it. The soft kind, the kind that comes with electronics or with a pelican case.

Don't look ↑