Home Non Cigar Related
Options

What stupid day is it today?

Comments

• Options
    TBonzTBonz Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭✭

A number of the National Day items come from proclamations from Congress. There are International Days too...and I think many are marketing...you can basically find them all here - http://nationaldaycalendar.com/what-is-today/...I have some friends who are always bringing these up and I asked them how they knew the info...

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

happy National Dandelion Day

• Options
    ThatGuyWithAFaceThatGuyWithAFace Posts: 26 ✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    Well, I'm going out to harvest some dandelion greens, traditional spring tonic.

Its amazing how many flowers are edible that most people - myself included - think are just pretty to look at.

Found a book on the subject for $1 several years ago. I would have never guessed some plants are edible. Always thought dandelions as nothing more than weeds.
    Cattails were another surprising one thats edible. 😯

• Options

@ThatGuyWithAFace said:

@silvermouse said:

Its amazing how many flowers are edible that most people - myself included - think are just pretty to look at.

Found a book on the subject for $1 several years ago. I would have never guessed some plants are edible. Always thought dandelions as nothing more than weeds.

Check out dead nettle, grows like weeds here,

https://eattheplanet.org/dead-nettle-an-overlooked-yet-valuable-wild-edible/

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:

@ThatGuyWithAFace said:

@silvermouse said:

Check out dead nettle, grows like weeds here,

https://eattheplanet.org/dead-nettle-an-overlooked-yet-valuable-wild-edible/

I've mowed several acres of that already this year, who knew? Mom called them "Johnny Jump-ups". Turns half the countryside purple around here in the spring.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

interesting how popular names for plants differ in different areas, these are what we know as Johnny jumoups:

• Options
    ThatGuyWithAFaceThatGuyWithAFace Posts: 26 ✭✭

Didn't know 'dead nettles' were edible. I thought all the 'nettle' plants were poisonous.

Well....it's safe to say no one should rely on my plant knowledge during a doomsday scenario. :D

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess it's like sumac and poison sumac.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

Nine to pick from today, or get busy and celebrate all of them.

APR
    CHILDHELP NATIONAL DAY OF HOPE
    APR
    NATIONAL BOOKMOBILE DAY
    APR
    NATIONAL WALKING DAY
    APR
    NATIONAL CARAMEL POPCORN DAY
    APR
    NATIONAL SORRY CHARLIE DAY
    APR
    NATIONAL STUDENT-ATHLETE DAY
    APR
    NATIONAL TARTAN DAY
    APR
    NEW BEER’S EVE
    APR
    NATIONAL TEFLON DAY

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some real gems today

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

Thank you @TBonz for posting this website. https://nationaldaycalendar.com/what-day-is-it/ It's the best one I've found on this stupid day subject, and especially since it gives you info on who founded a particularly stupid day. (So you know who to complain to.)

NATIONAL SORRY CHARLIE DAY
    National Sorry Charlie Day on April 6th each year encourages us to view rejection from a different perspective. It’s a day to think about the times we have been rejected.
    Do you remember Charlie the Tuna? He was often rejected but would keep going with a smile. “Sorry, Charlie” became closely associated with StarKist and was also a successful American catchphrase. Charlie never let rejection stop him. Do not let it stop you!

NATIONAL SORRY CHARLIE DAY HISTORY
    Cathy Runyan-Svacina of Kansas City, Missouri founded the Sorry Charlie, No-Fan-Club-for-You Club, and National Sorry Charlie Day.

https://youtu.be/1UM3JpcBHzY

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could go for a twinkle right about now.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    Nine holidays today? Sounds like they can't make up their minds, like Rusty's Make a Wish.

I say we celebrate national Rusty Day today.

We could celebrate by blowing up his mailbox.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options

I bet there's a disproportionate number of holidays in the spring and summer.

• Options

That's because the days are getting longer.

• Options

Moar tomatoes!

• Options

@Hobbes86 said:

@Yakster said:
    Nine holidays today? Sounds like they can't make up their minds, like Rusty's Make a Wish.

I say we celebrate national Rusty Day today.

We could celebrate by blowing up his mailbox.

Wow, that escalated quickly. Sorry Rusty.

@WaterNerd great photo!

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's also "New Beer's Eve". Tomorrow is National Beer Day. That's one that needs more support.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...