Home Non Cigar Related

Required to take a test before voting?

2»

Comments

• HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Thewelder:
    jsnake:
    Brian "Head" Welch was the guitarist for KORN.... beat abuse, and quit.
    He kicked abuse's a$$ like Chuck Norris beats the cancer out of cancer patients. Sorry man saw the opportunity and had to take it. Also liven the mood
    LOL
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thewelder:
    jsnake:
    Brian "Head" Welch was the guitarist for KORN.... beat abuse, and quit.
    He kicked abuse's a$$ like Chuck Norris beats the cancer out of cancer patients. Sorry man saw the opportunity and had to take it. Also liven the mood
    No problems Welder. I love Chuck Norris! Didn't mean to open a can and I do not hate anyone here. We are all different and we are all here because we love cigars. Would smoke one any day of the week with anyone of you. Even if we can't agree on one thing.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    I think historians would say he is a figure Stayer----as far a the virgin born son of Mary.....they would say his story sounds alot like Zeus from a religious perspective as well as many many many other areas of the bible that were ripped off from earlier literary works and oral tradition.
    We can all agree that Chuck Norris is a Bad Mother-------maybe not with a good face lift or flanel shirts.......but still one Bad Mother.
  • BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    Vulchor:
    I think historians would say he is a figure Stayer----as far a the virgin born son of Mary.....they would say his story sounds alot like Zeus from a religious perspective as well as many many many other areas of the bible that were ripped off from earlier literary works and oral tradition.
    ???? Why are you bringing that up?? No one asked for a historian's position on Christ, we already know what most of them think. You missed the point, or dodged the issue. My question wasn't about them, it was about you.
    BStayer:
    Vulchor:
    Mohhamed walked the earth too, why not believe in what he says?
    You brought up supposed similarities between Scripture and mythology as an attempt to remove accuracies within Scripture. I was merely stating that mythology is known to be a myth, not fact. However, Jesus Christ the person, is a fact who happens to be the central point of all Scripture. So rather than addressing this, you bring up Muhammad? You can try and dodge all you want, but bringing up different points while leaving other areas unanswered about doesn't prove anything.

On a side note, no where did I say one must believe in Christianity. Jesus the person is fact, Zeus is a known mythological figure. Go ahead and assume about my beliefs all day long. I find it interesting that just because I bring up that Jesus was real, as opposed to Zeus, you automatically think I'm a Christian. Huh, I wonder how most historian's would feel about your position on this?
    You just asked how a historian would feel about my position...I think thats why I was responding. I feel the historian would feel that Jesus existed, as I said I agree with. They would also feel my position was based in credible science and theory to not believe of a virgin conceived man to be the savior of the world. He is the central point of scripture, yes, but to believe everything in scripture as truth is to believe that a guy took 2 of everything on a boat and saved the world and to believe than an 80year old woman had a kid, and that several people lived to over 700 years old......I know d@mn well what a historians position on that would be. Jesus living is truth, everything written in that big book about his life outside of that accepted as fact (which is a few dozen pages) is myth, legend, stories passed down by generation, and good lessons for life. Guys writing the good book years after Jesus died and the number or translations throughout history combine for something a little less reliable than a first edition.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Vulchor:
    If it means we need a test to keep the likes of Glen Beck out of the voting booth----I guess I will change my stance. And as far as the great Jesus----born of a virgin by divine power (sounds alot like Athena and Zeus), 12 disciples to aide him (the 12 Olymipan Greek Gods), Noah building the Ark for the great flood (Greek Deucalion building the "great box" to survide the great flood), Cain and Abel (Romu and Remu)-----if this were done today we would call it plagerism....not religion.
    Sorry to poke a hole in your arguement but Athena was born from the Titan Metis and Zeus doing the deed, then Zeus ate Metis but not before she was impregnated with Athena. Athena was raised inside of Zeus before she burst from his forehead fully equipped to kick A$$ and chew bubble gum.

And Romulus and Remus is a Roman city creation myth, the Romans took a lot of Greek mythology but that story is wholly Roman.

As far as your first comment, did it really have to be directed at Glenn Beck or the stereotypical Republican? There's idiots on both sides of the aisle and frankly I don't see one having more than the other.
    Very nice knowledge of mythology Garen, I tried to get into it---never could. While it does appear my specifics were wrong, it remains easy to see the recurrent themes in all religions prior to christianity...which is has tweaked and adopted as its own, but indeed not a point a to point b conclusion can be drawn. As far as my first comment, Im afraid for my own sanity getting Glen Beck out of my head and onto the keyboard was needed. If he is in my head too long, I contemplate cutting it off to spare the rest of my being.
  • BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    Wow Vulchor, you have really missed the point that I originally tried to make. I wasn't asking for a historian's view on Jesus, I know they don't believe Scripture and yet will acknowledge him as an actual figure. Man, you have really taken this thing out there and missed it.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I have to say this thread has derailed worse than any Amtrack train in history!!! How did we go from a test before you are allowed to vote to the history of Jesus Christ?

Back to the origional topic, I do see another point that would make testing before you are allowed to vote a problem, and that is how much this would cost in our tax dollars. First of all just to print the test up in every language on the planet! You know if we didn't, that there would be law suits left and right. Second, there WOULD BE law suits left and right from every group in the country saying the tests were discriminatory. Which they probably would be... Who would write these tests and how would you keep their personal political beliefs from making their way in? Lastly who would administer the tests? This would cost more money to hire people just to oversee the testing process. It would be a logistical nightmare and cost millions in the end.
    Stayer, Im sorry if I did---but I have a hard time discussing theory, faith, and magic like religion----hard to have any discussion when the bible is being used strictly as a hisotrial text.ANYWAYS-------Quite right Puro.....Not cost effective, too much study needed to make a "good"test, and to ultimately do what???Cancel out the votes of the uninformed and "dumb, lol" voters on each side of the aisle?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    We can all agree that Chuck Norris is a Bad Mother-------maybe not with a good face lift or flanel shirts.......but still one Bad Mother.
    did someone say "Chuck Norris? "

if Chuck Norris and Mr. T. walked into a building at the same time it would instantly explode. nothing can contain that much awesome.

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is my fault for starting the derail. You all can blame me and give me some spankings. Just be glad we mentioned Chuck Norris in this thread and he let us live another day!

Puro makes a good and realistic point.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Ok, I am out on the spanking thing... You seem like a nice guy and all but... haha You are correct though, it's always good to have an excuse to talk about "The Chuck!"