Home General Discussion
Options

USPS vs. UPS

13»

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    USPS always gets the cigars to me at least one, if not two days faster. Also, the postman will put the box on the roofed over front porch behind the wall, where they are protected from the elements & prying eyes.

UPS will leave a box on the back step in the rain where everyone driving by can see them.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    I always use USPS.
    it may be a giant money pit for the country, but damnit, they know how to deliver a package.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    I always use USPS.
    it may be a giant money pit for the country, but damnit, they know how to deliver a package.
    Actually, I read a commentary recently stating that the Post Office has not taken any tax dollars since 1971. They've been completely self sufficient, despite Congress's attempts to keep them from making money.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    After adoption of the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970, the USPS became a semi-independent Federal Agency and mandated to be revenue neutral. That means, it is suppose to be break even. Unfortunetly,, USPS failed to reach even the break even target. As a result, they receive some Federal aid. Now a days our politicians always keep us in dark about the fact. I believe, it is wort to aid our USPS as long as the private banks receive federal bail out assistance. as a trained forensic financial manager, I am against any kind of federal aid which actually does not help any of the government or private company in a long run but we also can not deny the political interest and corporate influence over the public interest. the world has been always manipulated by these two powerful group of people. I will not support punishing one of our great public institution until the government stop aiding the private corporations. They are the player of the idea to privatize many great public institution such as NASA and many of our research centers. It breaks my heart when I talk about the hypocracy of the politicians all over the world. We should not leave our next generation in this mess. I have nothing against private enterprises because I do agree they are part of our economic engine and create most of the jobs. All I am trying to say is, we need both private and the government to maintain a healthy competition so the customer and the public can have the choice. Let the individual decide what do they want- not the government or the private corporation. If any of them fail to survive, let them die so someone can replace them without pouring tax payers hardworking money.
    Amos Umwhat:
    kuzi16:
    I always use USPS.
    Actually, I read a commentary recently stating that the Post Office has not taken any tax dollars since 1971. They've been completely self sufficient, despite Congress's attempts to keep them from making money.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Not to derail, but USPS is possibly the first Federal program that wants to downsize itself; they've been explicit that they want to close rural offices that can be served by others, and stop Sat. deliveries so they can stop losing money and break into the black, but Congress is preventing them from making the changes.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    They all have pros and cons but for the money I go USPS
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    ....but Congress is preventing them from making the changes.

So, did someone accuse congress of doing something right for a change???? LOL
  • Options
    crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Posts: 139 ✭✭
    How it it ships is entirely up to us.If the standard is not good enough,I say upgrade.
  • Options
    Ok I change my mind USPS has taken over 5 days now to ship a package from within the state!!! Ups all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Ok I change my mind USPS has taken over 5 days now to ship a package from within the state!!! Ups all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, good luck with that. I suspect you'll change your mind once you figure out UPS's unspoken agenda. With them, everything is the bottom line. The USPS, as we all know, isn't driven by the profit motive. Hell, UPS now has a different program where they handle the shipment part of the way (the profitable part, no doubt) and then they let the USPS deliver it to your address. Your slow delivery may have been handled that way. And it could have been UPS who caused the delay.

You didn't mention what class your package was shipped by. Priority, first class, parcel post? If it was parcel post I'm not surprised that it took so long. I've learned, though, that first class and priority arrive in almost the same amount of time but first class is cheaper. I'm talking about packages about the size of the small or medium flat rate boxes. All bets come off the table if we're talking larger packages because I have no experience in dealing with the larger ones.
  • Options
    crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Order shipped 6/8/12 and arrived 2350 miles later on 6/11/12 using $9.95 USPS Priority Mail.I guess it all depends on how bad you want it.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Little upset with USPS. I have been waiting six business days. The tracking system is not updated.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UPS tracking. I live 100 miles from Portland, OR.
    Package arrived in Portland 2 days ago and departed Portland for here yesterday morning.
    Checking the tracking, it is scheduled for delivery 2 days from now?
    WTF?
    So I have to assume it is being delivered by dog sled?
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    0patience:
    UPS tracking. I live 100 miles from Portland, OR.
    Package arrived in Portland 2 days ago and departed Portland for here yesterday morning.
    Checking the tracking, it is scheduled for delivery 2 days from now?
    WTF?
    So I have to assume it is being delivered by dog sled?

It's been my experience that, for residential deliveries, certain areas receive deliveries only on certain days of the week. Where I live, that day is Thursday. A shipment to me could arrive at their local distribution point on a Friday and I won't get it until the following Thursday. It sucks, but it's reality. So far, (knock on wood) USPS Priority Mail hasn't failed me.
  • Options
    marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    Little upset with USPS. I have been waiting six business days. The tracking system is not updated.
    Yeah, they are getting pretty bad on their tracking updates. I have watched a package sit in one location for 8 days with no updates before.
  • Options
    Hhhhhmmmmm is it me or does out for delivery mean its going to that persons adress and not another post office???? Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I'm really kind of pissed off at UPS.
    Package arrived in Portland, OR the 29th. Then made it to Warrenton (my town) on the 30th.
    July 2 at 3:00pm it was transferred to the local Post Office to be delivered today.
    So for 3 days, it's been in our giant town of 4,000 people. I'm guessing UPS got lost in this vast city.
    What's so funny is that if it had been sent USPS originally, it would have showed up on Friday or Saturday.
    And UPS wonders why people are preferring to send packages through the post office anymore.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    0patience:
    Now I'm really kind of pissed off at UPS.
    Package arrived in Portland, OR the 29th. Then made it to Warrenton (my town) on the 30th.
    July 2 at 3:00pm it was transferred to the local Post Office to be delivered today.
    So for 3 days, it's been in our giant town of 4,000 people. I'm guessing UPS got lost in this vast city.
    What's so funny is that if it had been sent USPS originally, it would have showed up on Friday or Saturday.
    And UPS wonders why people are preferring to send packages through the post office anymore.
    Yea, the same thing just happened to me. I put in an order in the middle of last week, and the package hung around in Lexington, KY (13 miles from my house) for 4 days in 100 + degree heat. From now on, when I order in summer, I'll pay extra for expedited shipping to (hopefully) avoid the freezer treatment.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    g** damn USPS customer service automated BS is useless.

If you ever have to call, in order to talk to a real person you have to say: "customer service" at the first prompt, then "other" at the second prompt - if not it will keep redirecting you to a computer/automated systems. FFFFFF

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *