Home Non Cigar Related

Facebook Astronomy Group

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
Im starting a new astronomy group on Facebook. If you are interested in space, telescopes, stars and whatnot along those lines.... please feel free to join! the more the merrier! :) Search for 'Pacific Northwest Astronomy' and join in the fun of building a helpful group!
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    figures the first comment in here would be about that. lol
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Sketch mentioned being into astronomy.
    peter4jc said:
    How did I know, even before opening the thread, it was started by @LiquidChaos66? LOL 

I got sick of stuff old farts on other pages being 'know it alls' so I decided to start up my own. there aren't many pages out there on Facebook... so why not. :)
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have a question from the audience: 

So does cigar smoke effect your night vision ?
    Like, can you smoke and still [do] astronomy?

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh sure. It'll be just another FB group I get kicked out of.  Y'all do #maskmondayz ?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    F*ckbook and all similar sites are for folks with way too much time on their hands, IMHO..... 

All I wanted to do was setup a group to talk with people about astronomy. I find it fascinating. so whatever.

As for your thoughts about FB.... I use it to keep in contact with my family on the other side of the country and other groups for things im interested in. IMHO this site  is for people with too much time on their hands. lol me being one of them ;) 

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Dad picked up a nice Meade telescope at an estate sale, been sitting and gathering dust as it is way too hi tech to setup, it appears you hook it up to your computer and tell it what you are looking for and it will find/track it. He mentioned yesterday he would like to get it setup, guess I have a few days off so I can print the manual and work our way through it
    A little dirt never hurt
    Nice! I would love to see pics of it when it's up and running! :) there are some really cool computerized scopes out there!
  • RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    dirtdude said:
    My Dad picked up a nice Meade telescope at an estate sale, been sitting and gathering dust as it is way too hi tech to setup, it appears you hook it up to your computer and tell it what you are looking for and it will find/track it. He mentioned yesterday he would like to get it setup, guess I have a few days off so I can print the manual and work our way through it
    I'll send you some Gran Habano Vintage for it!!!!!! Lol jk
    Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland
    Worked on it this afternoon/tonight but it doesn't seem to track on the vertical, entirely possible I didn't dial things in correctly but once you get it oriented it should track the target through the sky. Its too smart for me
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know very little about astronomy, but as I sit on the back patio smoking a cigar at night there are two stars that I wonder what they are.  One I have often wondered if it is the space station or a satellite as it is an orange color compared to the other stars.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    I know very little about astronomy, but as I sit on the back patio smoking a cigar at night there are two stars that I wonder what they are.  One I have often wondered if it is the space station or a satellite as it is an orange color compared to the other stars.
    Aliens. Lol!!!!! Do you know if they are around or near any constellations?
    I think Sketch mentioned being into astronomy.
    That is true enough.....
    Unfortunately I have a strict no Facebook policy.
    Got this computerized telescope for Christmas, it tracks fine.
    I've just been waiting for it to warm up a little bit, it's still cold at night in Colorado.

There are a few decently priced computerized scopes for sale in my area. How is that thing for calibration to get it to work right?
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diver43 said:
    I've seen the ISS a few times.  It does look like a white star, but it moves pretty fast and goes from horizon to horizon in about 10min.  The orange thing could be a planet, maybe.  The easiest way to tell planets from stars is that the planets don't twinkle.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    @LiquidChaos66
    It has the sky align software, I point it at the moon, push a button, then point it at Venus and push another button, then it can find anything I type in.
    It connects to any tablet or laptop.
    The software is easy to use.
    It's my 1st computerized telescope, and as you probably know, aiming an old model is hell on earth.

Messier 81

That's awesome :) I might look into one of those after I've mastered my regular scope. :) 
    Diver43 said:
    I have used the Google Sky Map app with varying degrees of success to identify objects in the sky. A freebie app for smartphones
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    @LiquidChaos66
    It also has a bunch of preset celestial objects. It will take you on a universe tour, or a solar system tour, or a tour of deep Sky objects.
    Also you can Google any celestial object and it gives you the coordinates for it, all you have to do is type them in and it goes there.
    This scope is not one I would recommend for astrophotography.
    That is a whole different animal.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
    dirtdude said:
    Diver43 said:
    I have used the Google Sky Map app with varying degrees of success to identify objects in the sky. A freebie app for smartphones

Thanks, will give that a try, see what I am looking at
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    dirtdude said:
    Diver43 said:
    I installed the app tonight and sat out back with a stick from @kckasper
    and even though it is cloudy, was able to figure the one I was trying to figure out is Mars,  Will have to wait for a clearer night to figure out the other one.
    Thanks @dirtdude
    Glad it helped, sometimes it works and sometimes not  much but for free, hell yea. Its a memory hog so shut it down when not using
    A little dirt never hurt
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bump for those who suddenly have more time on their hands.

I ran across a site called Galaxy Zoo which is crowdsourcing the classification of galaxies which might be interesting.

https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/zookeeper/galaxy-zoo

If you want to do something closer to home, you can count penguins.

https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/penguintom79/penguin-watch

Hmm, same parent site.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

An interesting video on Asteroid Bennu was posted on the PSD forum from the OSIRIS-REx mission.

https://youtu.be/QunVAWABQSc

https://www.asteroidmission.org/

https://youtu.be/KGdooPr8XfI

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about the poor sap that was filming the landing and departure? Are they just going to leave him there?

Also, I think the asteroid is flat.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis