Home Cigar 101

Be careful with beads

ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
Hey Gang. Just thought I would make you guys aware in case you are as clueless as I am that you have to be careful with how much you charge your beads, as it is difficult but very possible to get mold on them and they are not fool proof. The backstory of me being a fool is that I was leaving for a weeklong vacation. I noticed that maybe 25% of the beads had changed to the dry color and the humidity was at 67%, worried about the incoming cold weather, I hit them with a heavy dose of distilled, gave the disc a good shake and walked out the door. When I got back to check, the humidity had not changed, but about 10-15 of the beads were black. Not super hairy mold or anything scary, but this is fair warning that you can ruin the beads if you are not a little cautious with them. Do not overcharge or overreact to some of them being dry.

Comments

• camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    My humidors are made by a company called Madelaine inc. The humidification device is from Madelaine as well, and I use their beads, not the foam. I also only use the distilled water to condition the humidor. To hydrate the beads, I use Madelaine's Propylene Glycol Solution for Cigar Humidifiers. It is a pre-mixed solution and naturaly anti-fungal. I have heard of many issues using distilled water. I have never had a problem using the Madelaine products, and I trust them above any other system available.

• ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    I have the heartfelt beads and he recommends using distilled for them. I think the PG solution might gunk up the beads a little I am assuming. I have some PG that I use for a small foam disk that I use to boost a humidor up if I see it crashing a little. The foam is the most risky I find, but its also the quickest of all the products at getting humidity up. I mix distilled and PG in there because the PG is a little bit too sticky for my tastes as well. I will check out that company you mentioned though.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the word of warning. As a new user I want these to last and so far they are working perfectly.
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    Yeah, I have had them for about 3 months and I loved them. But I did make the classic "fixing something that ain't broke" mistake. So I just ordered some more and lesson learned.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    camgfs:
    My humidors are made by a company called Madelaine inc. The humidification device is from Madelaine as well, and I use their beads, not the foam. I also only use the distilled water to condition the humidor. To hydrate the beads, I use Madelaine's Propylene Glycol Solution for Cigar Humidifiers. It is a pre-mixed solution and naturaly anti-fungal. I have heard of many issues using distilled water. I have never had a problem using the Madelaine products, and I trust them above any other system available.

I apologize if I'm mistaken, but I can't find Madelaine "beads" anywhere. I can find that they have "crystals", but not beads. ... ??
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I've said on earlier posts, it isn't necessary to 'charge' your beads. Simply put your distilled water in the humidifier and place both in your humidor. Let the beads do their job - they'll absorb excess moisture out of the air or release it back into the air as necessary. That's what they were designed to do and, in my experience, they do an excellent job of it.

Both my coolidor and my desktop humidor stay within a couple points of the 65% RH they're designed to maintain, and I don't 'charge' my beads. As far as I'm concerned, as long as they're within a range of from 60% to 70% I'm a happy camper.

I don't believe any of us are sufficiently astute to discern the difference of a point or two in the way a stogie smokes.

Marty

• camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    nightmaremike31:
    camgfs:

I apologize if I'm mistaken, but I can't find Madelaine "beads" anywhere. I can find that they have "crystals", but not beads. ... ??
    You are correct, and thank you for pointing out the proper term. Since the term "beads" is often used, I have used the term incorrectly in regards to Madelaine products.

There is a lot of info on their .com website that can explain much better than I do.

• BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    I actually have the same problem going on with my beads right now...getting black. It's just 1 or 2, but black beads sure stand out next to white/clear ones. I had no idea, till just the other day, that these beads could mold. And yes, I have only ever used distilled water with them. Good lesson learned (the hard way...blech).
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    camgfs:
    nightmaremike31:
    camgfs:

You are correct, and thank you for pointing out the proper term. Since the term "beads" is often used, I have used the term incorrectly in regards to Madelaine products.

There is a lot of info on their .com website that can explain much better than I do.

I've always enjoyed Madelaine's line of products, they were also the first "brand" company I really paid attention to when I started getting in to cigars. I got a little excited when you said Madelaine Beads!!
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Ive always used heartfelt's beads, never had a problem.

"Long ashes my friends."

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=ACC-CONSERVAGEL

These are 65 or 70% rated Museum Quality beads which work absolutely flawless and they are like half the price of the Heartfelt Beads.

There are a few of the BOTL who are using these now. They ROCK.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:

These are 65 or 70% rated Museum Quality beads which work absolutely flawless and they are like half the price of the Heartfelt Beads.

I just got mine this week. SO far no change in my rh% (I got the 70%). I'm consistently at 66%. The only thing I don't like so far is that they take up so much room in the humi. Jury is still out for me on their performance.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    KCW:
    laker1963:

I just got mine this week. SO far no change in my rh% (I got the 70%). I'm consistently at 66%. The only thing I don't like so far is that they take up so much room in the humi. Jury is still out for me on their performance.
    Yeah they can be bulky. I use mine (2 pounds) in a 4 foot Coleman Coolerdor so the size of the bags isn't really an issue.

I have heard of guys using little bags made from Pantyhose so they are not too big and you can keep a couple of ounces of the beads in these little bags.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    KCW:
    laker1963:

Yeah they can be bulky. I use mine (2 pounds) in a 4 foot Coleman Coolerdor so the size of the bags isn't really an issue.

I have heard of guys using little bags made from Pantyhose so they are not too big and you can keep a couple of ounces of the beads in these little bags.
    That may not be bad idea... I noticed the heartfelt people have them so you can place them where the sponge regulator goes. They even have magnet strips on them. That would be ideal except they're over $42.00 from them and I got mine (1/2 pound w/bag) for $10.00 !!! I'm first going to see if they do the trick for me and then consider it.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:

I just got a a pound of these and they give you the option of a one pound mesh bag or two half pounders. I got two half pounders to put in my two humidors and they have been perfect so far.

They did have a warning with them not to soak them too much. They were about half the cost of the Heartfelt and I think the chemical compound is the same and there is no charge for the mesh bags.