Home Non Cigar Related

Daughter broker her elbow, getting pins ... advice?

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
as the title says. At the hospital now waiting for the procedure. Any advice or experience? If I recall properly she will only have 2 pins put in. Also and good juju is appreciated. :)
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that. She is lucky if it is only 2.I know, what kinda luck is that)
    Stay away from car crushing junkyard magnets.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae said:
    Sorry to hear that. She is lucky if it is only 2.I know, what kinda luck is that)
    Stay away from car crushing junkyard magnets.
    We will do our best to avoid those! Lol 
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    juju headed her way from Cape Cod
    juju headed her way from Cape Cod
    Very much appreciated! :)
    Man.... it's hard maintaining my cool and keeping myself together so my wife has a strong base to rely on. Lol she is being put under shortly and the procedure should run about a hour for her. *sigh*
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An hour? They have really got this procedure down. Years ago it would have been a lot longer. 
    In the grand scheme of broken elbows, the doctor feels very confident that it will be a fairly quick and simple procedure. 
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might be worthwhile to take her to Doctor Jeff in Denver. He is the Pin Master.

Course, she would come back out spayed... so you might not want that.

... but he does work cheap

But seriously, they got this down pat. Not to worry. She'll come out better than new.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Bwhahahahahahaha!!!!! 
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Son had ten screws and three plates for his ankle. Recovery was slow and sometimes painful but following the docs orders and doing the PT as directed should lead to a positive outcome.  Positive and healing thoughts headed your way
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how'd she break it!??? 

hopefully the procedure goes well and she has a speedy recovery!
    and as @diver43 ; said ..... be sure to follow the doctor's orders and all follow up care (including PT)!!!  not much else you can do!

(follow up care & PT was the key to success when i recovered from a broken wrist)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv said:
    how'd she break it!??? 

hopefully the procedure goes well and she has a speedy recovery!
    and as @diver43 ; said ..... be sure to follow the doctor's orders and all follow up care (including PT)!!!  not much else you can do!

(follow up care & PT was the key to success when i recovered from a broken wrist)
    I am shocked there is no mention of the flat Eath in this post!  :#
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
    She was playing at school and she tried to jump over a rolling ball.... that was rolling.... which means she landed on the ball with her feet and fell backwards and broke the elbow. 

Surgery went well, she has 2 pins in her elbow and a blue and glow in the dark cast. Watching her come out of the anesthesia really sucked. :( but moment by moment her personality started to come back. Resting in recovery, docs say she is doing well. :) thank you all for the positive thoughts! I do appreciate it. :) 

as for for physical therapy... doctors said all she has to do is mover her elbow so things don't get tight. But the position of the break didn't effect any nerves, blood vessels or muscles. So as long as the bone heals as it should... she shouldn't have any long term effects from it. :)
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery! Glad everything has gone well wit the surgery; it's amazing how far things have come in the medical field. 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This wasn't one of those Highland Games shenanigans was it, your wife would never let you live that down.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've still got some hardware in my elbow from almost 20 years ago. I lost a few degrees range of motion because I slacked off on my PT, so make sure she follows through with it.
    She woke up this morning with minimal pain. :) despite having to do what we did yesterday... all is well so far!
    This thread is useless without glow in the dark pics!
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poor thing. She's got my prayers!
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    For the most part, it is the next 6 months that will be the toughest.
    It takes quite some time to full motion back and full strength.
    A lot of muscle and tissue was cut to get in to put the pins. 
    It will take some time to heal.
    I have 4 pins and a metal rod holding my wrist together.
    Cold will affect it, but not as bad as I would have thought.

Agree with @CharlieHeis  and @jgibv
    PT is the key.
    Working on heavy equipment, my wrist still lets me know when I try and over extend it.
    And when I say it lets me know, I mean it can bring a tear to your eye, if not careful.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    So this might be a stretch... but have any of you had experience with broken bones where you have had pins lift in AND pins removed after it healed? If so what's the difference in feel and functionality between pins in and pins out?
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck finding a doc that will perform a 2nd surgery to take the pins out... and who's going to pay for it?  Not the insurance company.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    did you ask the DOCTOR?!?? 

the doctor/surgeon will make the decision if the pins should stay in, or if the pins should be removed. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

The pins are exposed so they planned on removing them. Basically taking pliers and pulling them out. LOL I watched a video of it... I almost vomited.
    No. But I have a grand-daughter chock full of pins in both legs. Cerebral palsy left her on crutches. Docs regularly had to literally break her legs and re-pin them every year or two as she was growing, so that they wouldn't twist so badly that she wouldn't be able to crutch around. My point is, to my knowledge they never removed a single pin ever. Becomes a permanent part, is what we were told. How'd they re-break without unpinning? Never thought to ask.

Best fun ever was trying to get her thru the airport. Eight year old girl with twisted legs and arm crutches & scars aplenty all up & down her legs & these nitwits can't figure out why the metal detector goes off. Last time I ever flew or intend to.

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nitwits is the correct description. And when was the last time you tried to visit your social security office?  The same nitwits are there, guarding the door. A matched pair of Barney Fifes who, between the two of them, couldn't find their bullet. 

I tried recently. The first nitwit had me play some sort of computer game where I had to answer questions, etc on-screen. When I passed that test he let me approach nitwit number 2 who told me to empty my pockets, remove my belt and shoes, and all the rest of their memorized lines. 

I told them to stuff it and that folks like them and the rest of the TSA is why I no longer fly anywhere. I don't have to play their boolsheet games - now or ever, Thankya very much....   >:)

My brothers friend had to get his spine fused and a partial metal cage around his ribs. poor guy sets of EVERY metal detector around him. lol he carries some smaller copies of his x-rays and medical docs with him whenever he travels. such a waste of time.... but oddly makes his life easier.

• BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bummer best wishes to the young lass
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a titanium plate and five screws in my right wrist from a compound fracture. I was painting a roof and stepped back to admire my work. When i was recovering I couldn't twist the throttle of my motor cycle so i had to tape a stick to the throttle and yank back. My wrist only gives me trouble on high humidity days or it could be that I'm getting old.. Hope she takes her time at recovering and does what the doc's tell her.