Home General Discussion

This should tell some folks something.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
The First Anti-Smoking Campaign In History Was Led By Hitler
He led the first and most notable anti-tobacco campaign during the 30's and 40's. 

I wonder if all those people waving their flags today, realize they are carrying on Hitler's inspiration. 

I know there is more to it than that, but I found it kind of comical.

According to Wikipedia, "He was angered when a statue of Göring showed a cigar in his mouth."

ROFL!
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Here I thought it was King James.

Have you not reason then to bee ashamed, and to forbeare this filthie noveltie, so basely grounded, so foolishly received and so grossely mistaken in the right use thereof? In your abuse thereof sinning against God, harming your selves both in persons and goods, and raking also thereby the markes and notes of vanitie upon you: by the custome thereof making your selves to be wondered at by all forraine civil Nations, and by all strangers that come among you, to be scorned and contemned. A custome lothsome to the eye, hatefull to the Nose, harmefull to the braine, dangerous to the Lungs, and in the blacke stinking fume thereof, neerest resembling the horrible Stigian smoke of the pit that is bottomelesse.

— James 1604
    Imposed a tax of one pound per three pounds of tobacco. Called it "sotweed", because he said it "besotted" those who "drank" the smoke of it. 

Wonderful book by John Barth: The Sotweed Factor. That title is also the name of my hobby business.

But you'd think a tax of one pound of silver for every three pounds of leaves would cripple the business. Did not.

So anyways, which came first, Jimmy or the Dolph?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Learn something new every day!  :)
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @webmost
    I think when they are referring to history, in this sense, they are referring to modern/industrial age  history.

I know that doesn't make sense, but I see this a lot in various things. 
    They will often discount earlier historical things, as they weren't relevant to the modern age.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Henry Ford should also be mentioned. In 1914, he wrote a book with Thomas Edison's backing titled "The Case Against the Little White Slaver" in which he argued that tobacco free beings are more productive. 

It's funny looking back. While I was searching for that title I also found a smoking ban for Michigan in 1919 which was supported by Ford, Edison, and Kellogg. 

I find it crazy that employers can now discriminate against those of us who smoke. I applied for a railroad job in Reading a few years back, and it was actually written on the application in all caps: SMOKERS NEED NOT APPLY!!

Welcome to the land of the free, gents...
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Markwell said:
    Henry Ford should also be mentioned. In 1914, he wrote a book with Thomas Edison's backing titled "The Case Against the Little White Slaver" in which he argued that tobacco free beings are more productive. 

It's funny looking back. While I was searching for that title I also found a smoking ban for Michigan in 1919 which was supported by Ford, Edison, and Kellogg. 

I find it crazy that employers can now discriminate against those of us who smoke. I applied for a railroad job in Reading a few years back, and it was actually written on the application in all caps: SMOKERS NEED NOT APPLY!!

Welcome to the land of the free, gents...
    That is more to do with insurance now. A lot of companies are doing this to lower their insurance rates.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happens when the insurance companies find that democrats file more claims and cost them more money?
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )