Home Cigar 101

Newbie looking for some advice.

About once a week after I get paid, I go to the cigar shop down the street from work. Normally I keep them in the plastic for about a day or two. I go by smell and look. I perfer dark wrapping with a spicy smell. For christmas I got Recently I bought this humidor.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CZH8C0/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

I also bought from here:
Best of Full 2009 Sampler
CAO Black Gothic (Torpedo) , Connecticut

65% - 70% is the best humidity level?
Does temperature matter?
What would be the best temperature?

I dont plan than keeping more than 15 or so cigars at one time. At least at this time.

One thing I am worried about is having different cigars in the same humidor. The taste and/or smell could be asborbed. Is thi thinking right?

Anyways thanks for reading.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    congrats on the humidor.
    Fubar:
    65% - 70% is the best humidity level?
    yes. i like closer to 65%, YMMV
    Fubar:
    Does temperature matter?
    yes and no. ... keep them blow 75 if you can.
    Fubar:
    What would be the best temperature?
    60-70

Fubar:
    I dont plan than keeping more than 15 or so cigars at one time. At least at this time.
    lest see how m any weeks that lasts. good luck. im rootin for ya.
    Fubar:
    One thing I am worried about is having different cigars in the same humidor. The taste and/or smell could be asborbed. Is thi thinking right?
    no worries. most of the experts will say that if you are aging for years on end you should have only the same cigars next to each other. however, this isnt a big deal if you have a rolling stock in a smaller humidor. i dont have a rolling stock in a medium humidor (my aging humidor) and i still dont think it is a big deal. even if there was an impact on flavor by mixing them i doubt i (or many) would be able to taste it.

edit: if you have infused cigars keep those away from non infused.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Fubar:
    ..... I dont plan than keeping more than 15 or so cigars at one time. At least at this time. Anyways thanks for reading.
    Fubar, First of all welcome, It looks like all your questions were well answered but I have only one comment to add. We'll see about that, Check out the Daily Deal today. Those Torano Signatures are a really great cigar, you should try some. ( 15.. Yeah right. )
  • FubarFubar Posts: 33
    Thank you. And a fast reply at that. You know since I bought the humidor and the cigars it has been very hard not to buy more. I only found this website a couple weeks ago when they had the CAO Black deal. As for the daily deal yes I might kind of splurg and buy these. They do seem like an good cigar. The humidor is kept in my bedroom, but I keep the AC between 72 to 76. My thermosat doe not show F or C but I am assuming it is F. You relieved my fear of keeping the cigars together. So far I love this site. It is a well-designed. I will definetly buy again. What are some mistake someone like me or a person in a position like this often make?
  • Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    Fubar:
    What are some mistake someone like me or a person in a position like this often make?
    Probably the same mistake I made. Should a gotten a larger humidor. I got mine thinking the same way you are now and it didnt take a month for it to be overflowing and now I am storring in a tupperdore as well. There is something I read on here and it seems to be some of the best advice I can pass on. "Whatever size humidor you think you need double it." I think there is more to that but I dont remember off hand.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Fubar:
    What are some mistake someone like me or a person in a position like this often make?
    Some common mistakes are to lick or 'wet' the cigar before you light it. This is a common cause of the cigar unraveling. Another 'newbie' mistake is lighting the cigar way too fast by putting the flame directly onto the cigar and puffing repeatedly. Lighting the cigar too fast can burn the tobacco and leave a foul/bitter taste. Just do a search on "how to light a cigar" or "cigar tips and tricks" and you will find some usefull info, and some bad info. Use your better judgement on which is which.

• One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    Let me say "welcome". I just started actually keeping a humidor in the last year and already i don't know how I could limit my sticks on hand to just 15, but if you can, good for you. Make sure you use a good reliable humidification device and a calibrated hygrometer. Welcome to the site.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I see a larger humidor in your future... :D Oh, and Kuzi's standard advice should apply if you do feel the need to upgrade to a larger humidor: get one much, much, much larger than you ever think you will need. I went from a 25 count humidor, added a 100 count, added a coolidor and now I'm out of room. Wine cooler or very large humidor is in my future.

Welcome to the forums. Stick around and have some fun.
    Thank you all for the warm welcomes. I have an analog hydrometer and a puck like humidifier (Do not know if I spelled those right) that came with my humidor. The hydrometer needs to be tested and calibrated as it always say 30-40. Hopefully this doesn't hurt the cigars before I have a chance to do it. And ups delivered my cigars today so only 5 hours till smoke time.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    kuzi16:
    congrats on the humidor.

Fubar:

lest see how m any weeks that lasts. good luck. im rootin for ya. .

This is sarcasm if you didnt get it. He's saying youll need a bigger humi soon!

Lol, I am very fluent in sarcasm. ;D
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Fubar:
    Thank you all for the warm welcomes. I have an analog hydrometer and a puck like humidifier (Do not know if I spelled those right) that came with my humidor. The hydrometer needs to be tested and calibrated as it always say 30-40. Hopefully this doesn't hurt the cigars before I have a chance to do it. And ups delivered my cigars today so only 5 hours till smoke time.
    Ok, so we've had a FAIL on our part for nobody putting forth this advice yet:

Get a digital hygrometer, and order some RH beads. Both of these are pretty crucial (as far as I'm concerned) to maintaining the best environment for your sticks. Links below for some bead options.

Heartfelt Industries

ConservaGel
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    I forgot I had to season the humidor, I didn't take the cigars out of the plastic wrapper but they are sitting out of the bag in the humidor, I did this because I was testing the hygrometer and I did not know if i could keep them in the bag for long. They also have two pillows sitting in the humidor (The one Ccom sends in the bag..i love this packaging). I believe one or two cigars may not have the plastic wrapper. Will this dry out the cigars and can I save them before it is too late? The cigars have only been in there over night about 8 - 12 hours? I wont be home till 8pm or so. Total time that will have been in there is 24 hours almost. I fear I screwed up.
    Fubar:
    I forgot I had to season the humidor, I didn't take the cigars out of the plastic wrapper but they are sitting out of the bag in the humidor, I did this because I was testing the hygrometer and I did not know if i could keep them in the bag for long. They also have two pillows sitting in the humidor (The one Ccom sends in the bag..i love this packaging). I believe one or two cigars may not have the plastic wrapper. Will this dry out the cigars and can I save them before it is too late? The cigars have only been in there over night about 8 - 12 hours? I wont be home till 8pm or so. Total time that will have been in there is 24 hours almost. I fear I screwed up.
    I don't think you hurt your cigars, Gather them all, put them in a ziplock bag along with the pillows and you should be fine until the humidor is properly seasoned. I have abused cigars far worse than that and still enjoyed them.
    That is a relief. Just need to remember to pick up some water and sponges on the way home.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Welcome Fubar, my BOTL's will get you straight on how to handle those sticks. Plan on a bigger/more humidors in the near future
    Already doing it cause i bought 10 more sticks which puts me at the 20 range mark.
    Fubar:
    I dont plan than keeping more than 15 or so cigars at one time. At least at this time. .
    Congratulations you lasted two days.
    kaspera79:
    Fubar:
    I dont plan than keeping more than 15 or so cigars at one time. At least at this time. .
    Congratulations you lasted two days.
    Lol, you all said it wouldn't take too long.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Hey brother welcome to the BOTL...keep us posted on the inventory growth....and I do mean GROWTH!!!
    5 Vegas Miami Edicion Especial (Cigar.com Exclusive) Habano; Bolivar Robusto (Crystal Tube) Habano; Cusano C10 Corona Habano; Dunhill Signed Range Vintage (2003) Corona Habano; Camacho Pre-Embargo Pre-Embargo (Cigar.com Exclusive) Habano, 6 X 48
  • nudienudie Posts: 112
    Fourtotheflush:
    kuzi16:
    congrats on the humidor.

Fubar:

lest see how m any weeks that lasts. good luck. im rootin for ya. .

This is sarcasm if you didnt get it. He's saying youll need a bigger humi soon!

for me i got a 12 sampler xmas 08... a box in july... and this xmas i got a 20 ct humi and a 10 sampler.... as of yesterday i have a 20 ct, a 50 ct which are full and 2 ziploc bags full and a 400 ct humi on the way with 2 more boxes.... thats in 28 days of my first humi... so if you read up on the forums everyday and take advantage of the great deals and samplers here... youll be in over your head in no time
  • Howdy,and welcome.Really nice bunch of guys here.Enjoy the forums.
    I bought a Digital Hygrometer (adjustable), a one step calibrator pack, and I got a free seasoning pack. Right now I use a foam humidifier and want to replace it with something like Xikar crystal gel puck. If not I was going to get some beads and gut the foam humidifier and stick the beads in there. Any ideas or suggestions?
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Fubar:
    I bought a Digital Hygrometer (adjustable), a one step calibrator pack, and I got a free seasoning pack. Right now I use a foam humidifier and want to replace it with something like Xikar crystal gel puck. If not I was going to get some beads and gut the foam humidifier and stick the beads in there. Any ideas or suggestions?
    The beads would be the easiest for you, and they work great. I don't know if you can get enough of them into the little plastic disk, but you could determine that later. Here are a couple of links to some beads. I use the Conservagel Beads and they work great. They are also a lot cheaper then the Heartfelt beads. Here are some links. Check 'em out bro', you won't be sorry.

http://www.bargainhumidors.com/bh/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=ACC-CONSERVAGEL

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/
    More than likely I will buy some beads see how big they get when filled and then just fill the disk/puck.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Fubar:
    More than likely I will buy some beads see how big they get when filled and then just fill the disk/puck.
    The beads DON'T change size when water is added. They don't swell, it is just that they can be a little bulky.
    I keep two, one pound bags in coolerdor. They each have a bag which comes with them, and because my coolerdor is so big they don't get in the way to much. In a small humidor however they will occupy your valuable real estate. Of course you will only need a few ounces in a Humi.
    Oh, then this sounds very doable. Yeah I only need enough for 20, but I should prolly get enough for 50.
    Heartfelt Industries have a small round disc with beads for 70% RH. I ordered this. I recieved my hygrometer last friday, and tested it for 48 hours stayed at 75% the whole time, with the 1 step calibration test. It is sitting in my humidor @ 68 RH @ 66F. This is using some cheap foam humidifier without pillows. I think over the next few days I will keep a eye on it but so far so good.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    A lot of us use the Heartfelt Beads. Great stuff.

I love that it literally took you two days to go from "I won't keep more than 15 sticks on hand" to "I already have 20" lol. Welcome to a delicious, fun and sometimes expensive hobby.
  • A tip on beads: Kitty Litter works just as well, and it's much cheaper. I bought an 8 pound container at target for about $12 and it'll last me a lifetime. I put some in my desktop humidor, my barrister humidor and my coolerdor, and I haven't come close to using 1/3 of my beads. All three stay between 65-68 percent, consistently. Just make sure the ingredient is 'silica gel' and it's unscented.