Home Non Cigar Related

Some things are worth the extra money.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Like tools and all.
My son never understood why my work boots cost between $200-300.
He spent $90 on his work boots and after 6 months was complaining cause they "suck".
Hmm, don't seem to have that problem with my boots.

He gave me the, "But Dad, I can't afford those kinds of boots."
No question about it, good quality steel toe work boots are expensive, but when you are in your boots 12+ hours a day, in all kinds of terrains, all kinds of weather and wanting them to protect your feet, it is worth the extra money.

Fortunately for him, I buy a new pair of boots every 3 years and have several spares, he was able to take a pair that were fairly new.

But it is hard to explain to some people that sometimes it is better to pay the extra money and get good quality things that will last long.

I have some tools that are almost 40 years old, because when I bought them, I paid for quality. 
As a mechanic, tools, boots and Carhartt jackets are what I pay extra for.

What do you pay a premium for quality on?
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• thehilkthehilk Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭
    You get what you pay for
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was a kid I wanted to be a chef so spent all my birthday money on one good knife. My mom thought it was stupid.  I've used almost daily for 35 years and my mom has probably spent four or five times that I'm cheap knife set after cheap knife set. 
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And how the **** are you Tony?
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Echambers said:
    And how the **** are you Tony?
    I'm getting old, broken and still alive bud. LOL!
    Good to see you around.

One good thing about getting broken is, I'm off until Tuesday. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mean besides cigars? I am with you on the boot thing Tony, for 36 years I did the boots on the cheap like your son, 4 years ago I spent 300 on a nice pair and have worn them ever since.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @dirtdude
    Check out Wesco Boot Company.
    They are not cheap, $475/pair, but can custom make the boots to your feet and when the boots get worn down, they will rebuild them for around half of the cost.

They make boots for most the loggers here.
    I have their Firestorm boots. 

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a good pair of Red Wings that I've had for 6 years now. They still feel like new.

Also ranch dressing. Always pay the extra for Hidden Valley. Otherwise your getting seasoned mayo.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • HeavysetrapierHeavysetrapier Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't where work boots but I too am on my feet a lot for my job so I forked over the extra money for some pairs of Allen Edmonds shoes as opposed to the **** ones I had to replace every few months and were uncomfortable as well.  

Also they will resole and recondition the shoes for you at a fraction of the purchase price. 
  • MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My old pair of Redwings have 5 years of wear and ate still holding up. The new pair I got last year have barely been broken in and I wore them 6 days a week at the sawmill. If anybody's in the market for a new pair check out their new Irish Setter line. They're about $350 and worth every penny.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pizza. I used to buy the huge $10 Costco pizza, but now I pay for good pizza. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Markwell said:
    My old pair of Redwings have 5 years of wear and ate still holding up. The new pair I got last year have barely been broken in and I wore them 6 days a week at the sawmill. If anybody's in the market for a new pair check out their new Irish Setter line. They're about $350 and worth every penny.
    I think thats what I have, the outsides have taken a beating but still super comfortable.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wear Danners when in my regular uniform. I always tell the new jacks go spend the money and get a pair. They are waterproof and last forever. If the soles get worn out they will replace the soles and ship them back to you.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Redwing, Nikon lenses, got a Volvo V90 station wagon coming this week.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just bought another pair of Red Wings.  I bought some $79 pair of "Schmidt"s at Tractor supply last spring.  Soles came off in July.  Only sewn in the toe and heel.  I tried Rocky's over and over, very comfortable but 6 - 12 months and I've walked the soles off.  

When I was in college, I contracted to paint a house.  $1,800 for power wash, hand scraped, 2 coats of Porter stain.  The folks cried "$1,800!!  Last year we just paid $800!"  
    "Yes, and this year you're painting again".

That paint job lasted 15 years, and then they just power washed and hit it with same stain, same color.  Looks good today.
    Do it right the first time.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had Redwings for about 3 years. They are great and I still have them but I have been getting Bates for some time now. Danners are good too. The company pays for steel toes anyways.
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pens, yes pens.  Those that collect or write a lot call them "fine writing instruments"

Sadly I do not write near as much as I used to with this being the electronic world and all. But I also sign a lot of forms in the performance of my duties for Uncle Sam, sometimes a stack of approvals at a time, so I pick up a nice comfortable smooth writing pen. I prefer a quality fountain pen, but reality says I need to move fast so a good rollerball has been used for several years now.  Monte Grappa or Mont Blanc being the best known  names.

Fire arms also.  I do not hunt much anymore, mostly kill a lot of paper. After you get over 50 the eagle eyes can fail you on distance, so a quality scope and accurized rifle are what I use in competitions these days.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thehilk said:
    You get what you pay for
    No. you don't always get what you pay for;
          but you do have to pay for what you get.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)