Home Cigar 101

Cigar Urban Legends

sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
Hello all,

I thought I would start this thread as a one-stop source to dispel any urban legends regarding cigars. When I first started this hobby, I ran into a lot of conflicting information, some of which turned out to be untrue. I figure this would be useful for the novice smoker.

Urban Legend #1: Darker cigars indicate a higher strength.

Not necessarily. Darker cigars (like maduros) simply indicate that the wrapper has gone under additional fermentation, which results in a darker color. The body of a cigar is determined mostly by its filler.

Comments

• denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Urban Legend #2
    A light colored wrapper does not mean a milder smoke.
    I have had many a Corojo that have blown my tastebuds apart with spicy goodness.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    I got one

Urban Legend #3

That smoking cigars has a falic reference ("****")

Then why am I still obsessed with boobies so much?
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    nightmaremike31:
    I got one

Urban Legend #3

That smoking cigars has a falic reference ("****")

Then why am I still obsessed with boobies so much?
    Haha.

"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Cigar Urban Legend #4:

Licking the end of your cigar or dipping it in some alcoholic beverage does not make it easier to cut. It makes a disgusting mess and makes you look retarded to experienced cigar smokers.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    Cigar Urban Legend #4:

Licking the end of your cigar or dipping it in some alcoholic beverage does not make it easier to cut. It makes a disgusting mess and makes you look retarded to experienced cigar smokers.
    and I used to do this all the time. turns out it's only easier to cut if you have one of those free single blade cutters.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    TatuajeVI:
    Cigar Urban Legend #4:

and I used to do this all the time. turns out it's only easier to cut if you have one of those free single blade cutters.
    but i enjoy the taste of the uncut cigar.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    kuzi16:
    dennisking:
    TatuajeVI:
    Cigar Urban Legend #4:

but i enjoy the taste of the uncut cigar.
    So do I. I should specify further. Deliberately soaking the end of your cigar with your tongue, not just a little taste. Gross.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Cigar Urban Legend #5: I used to hear before I got into the hobby that cigars were rolled upon the thighs of Cuban maidens...sometimes rumored to be virgins....
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me be the first to jump on this. In Cuba, a virgin is an ugly third grader! LOL
    Hawk55:
    Cigar Urban Legend #5: I used to hear before I got into the hobby that cigars were rolled upon the thighs of Cuban maidens...sometimes rumored to be virgins....

I believe in Smoke Mag. there is a picture AJ Fernandez rolling a cigar on one of his models... definitely not virgin, but hot!!
    nightmaremike31:
    Hawk55:

I believe in Smoke Mag. there is a picture AJ Fernandez rolling a cigar on one of his models... definitely not virgin, but hot!!
    ....must...have....pic
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    sightunseen:
    nightmaremike31:
    Hawk55:

....must...have....pic
    wait for it.............,

And

bbc, you're like lightning man!

Don't forget the full body shots!!

That is so full of win
    Yeah BOY!!! Who needs virgins when you have those...them or whatever!!! Roll away AJ>>>that makes for a stiff cigar...
    LOL yankee...
    One on the tummy and one on the THIGHS!!!!
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Myth: Only cigars worth smoking are from Cuba.

"Long ashes my friends."

Cigar Urban Legend # umm... I lost count...

That Tim's Beard is made from the hair of the rarest and most exquisite "chin"-chillas!
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Krieg:
    To expound on that myth a bit; Myth: Cuba makes the best cigars in the world. No way! I will take a good Nicaraguan blend from Tabacalero Fernandez any day.
    fla-gypsy:
    Krieg:
    To expound on that myth a bit; Myth: Cuba makes the best cigars in the world. No way! I will take a good Nicaraguan blend from Tabacalero Fernandez any day.
    cuba makes some good cigars...

if you like the flavor profile that cuban tobacco offers. i much prefer honduran and dominican tobacco over cuban any day.

that being said, Cuba does produce some damn fine sticks.
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Real Cigar urban legend. sure some of you guys have seen this one before or a variant of it. good for a laugh though. A North Carolina man was on the top of the world, a self-proclaimed smart guy who made money by finding the loopholes in laws. He bought a $15,000(Must have been Gurkhas) box of vintage imported cigars and took out an insurance policy, just like he did for his other valuables, protecting them against hazards, including fire. Once he finished smoking the two dozen cigars in the box, he filed an insurance claim, stating that the cigars had been "consumed" by fire. The insurance company took him to court but was ordered to pay the man his claim because his policy did not specify the exact nature of fire it covered or excluded. The man jauntily stepped into the bank with his check. However, the moment he cashed it, he was arrested, charged, and convicted of twenty-four counts of arson one for each cigar. Unable to find a loophole, he was sent to prison for two years, where he met his demise in an argument over a book of matches.
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    Real Cigar urban legend. sure some of you guys have seen this one before or a variant of it. good for a laugh though. A North Carolina man was on the top of the world, a self-proclaimed smart guy who made money by finding the loopholes in laws. He bought a $15,000(Must have been Gurkhas) box of vintage imported cigars and took out an insurance policy, just like he did for his other valuables, protecting them against hazards, including fire. Once he finished smoking the two dozen cigars in the box, he filed an insurance claim, stating that the cigars had been "consumed" by fire. The insurance company took him to court but was ordered to pay the man his claim because his policy did not specify the exact nature of fire it covered or excluded. The man jauntily stepped into the bank with his check. However, the moment he cashed it, he was arrested, charged, and convicted of twenty-four counts of arson one for each cigar. Unable to find a loophole, he was sent to prison for two years, where he met his demise in an argument over a book of matches.
    i heard this as well.

"lost in a series of small fires"

fantastic.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    i heard this as well.

fantastic.
    Brad Paisley has a song about this: Cigar Song
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • KamelyonKamelyon Posts: 109
    sightunseen:

Not necessarily. Darker cigars (like maduros) simply indicate that the wrapper has gone under additional fermentation, which results in a darker color. The body of a cigar is determined mostly by its filler.

I agree with this, but would like to know how many maduro cigars that you have smoked that were not at least medium-full? And if there is a secret underground society of mild maduro cigars, let me know!
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Kamelyon:
    sightunseen:

I agree with this, but would like to know how many maduro cigars that you have smoked that were not at least medium-full? And if there is a secret underground society of mild maduro cigars, let me know!
    Smoke a Rocky Patel Vintage 1990. Mild-medium body with a delicious maduro wrapper.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Kamelyon:
    And if there is a secret underground society of mild maduro cigars, let me know!
    The other day I smoked a Grukha Beauty, but it had a maduro wrapper and not the usual Conni that it comes with on the ccom site. For a Ghurka, it was pretty mild, but GREAT flavour.

• Hays:
    kuzi16:
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    i heard this as well.

fantastic.
    Brad Paisley has a song about this: Cigar Song
    damn you hays! you beat me to it! it sure was a great song though. Brad is a great guy. i actually visited his farm in nashville for an afternoon. he actually is nice!
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    thats what Im talking about Brandon..............more than just a cigar smoking in those pictures! Who was talking about Falics? LOL
    Kamelyon:
    sightunseen:

I've had the Cu-Avana Maduro, which was a mild cigar. In fact, it was a bit too mild for my tastes.

You're right about the underground society, you just need to know the secret handshake.